Mar 2, 2013
✟291,088.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What people have stated these ideals as any kind of goal of theirs? You keep mentioning “they” and “them” and “their goals”. I’d like to know who we should be on the lookout for.
They being the people who put the monument up. Their goals being the stated points on the monument. I don't think it unreasonable to not care about this monument's destruction or be against it's message.

Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
upload_2022-7-7_20-24-37.png

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
They being the people who put the monument up. Their goals being the stated points on the monument. I don't think it unreasonable to not care about this monument's destruction or be against it's message.
Yeah that’s all good and all but who are they, specifically? Do we have any names or faces to put to the monument? How would I know who to look out for if we don’t even know who actually believes this stuff?

• Useful
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,088.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yeah that’s all good and all but who are they, specifically? Do we have any names or faces to put to the monument? How would I know who to look out for if we don’t even know who actually believes this stuff?

How would I know who specifically is behind the monument? All I know is that what the monument stands for is what I am adamantly against. Just thinking about implementation of such a vision should lead one to thinking how repellant the ideas on it are.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My understanding is that they weren't articulating goals, but rather instructions on how to rebuild society following an apocalyptic event (i.e. nuclear war - they were erected in the 80s) while maintaining a balance with nature.

That's not to say that I agree with them - the eugenical implications of "Guide reproduction wisely" are particularly concerning from a moral and ethical standpoint - but they're hardly the bogeyman you make them out to be. There's no one (at least no one of any significance, or with any chance of sucess) actively working towards the ideas expressed on the guidestones as goals within present society.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,088.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My understanding is that they weren't articulating goals, but rather instructions on how to rebuild society following an apocalyptic event (i.e. nuclear war - they were erected in the 80s) while maintaining a balance with nature.

That's not to say that I agree with them - the eugenical implications of "Guide reproduction wisely" are particularly concerning from a moral and ethical standpoint - but they're hardly the bogeyman you make them out to be. There's no one (at least no one of any significance, or with any chance of sucess) actively working towards the ideas expressed on the guidestones as goals within present society.

I don't think I've made anyone out to be a bogeyman, but I just don't care about this monument's destruction. As a thing, why do we care if it was destroyed or damaged?

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think I've made anyone out to be a bogeyman, but I just don't care about this monument's destruction. As a thing, why do we care if it was destroyed or damaged?
I don't particularly care one way or the other - as far as I'm concerned, it was a tourist trap. However, you and others are trying to ascribe nefarious motives to it and/or its creators in order to justify its destruction. You say that you don't care, but you've spent the last few pages pointing out how you think it's calling for the destruction of most of humanity, and that doesn't sit right with me, because it's not true.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,088.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't particularly care one way or the other - as far as I'm concerned, it was a tourist trap. However, you and others are trying to ascribe nefarious motives to it and/or its creators in order to justify its destruction. You say that you don't care, but you've spent the last few pages pointing out how you think it's calling for the destruction of most of humanity, and that doesn't sit right with me, because it's not true.

I said I don't care that it was destroyed. Not that I don't care about the monument. There is a subtle difference there.

But I take the monument at it's word. To control the reproduction of humanity is a good thing according to it. There may be no nefarious motive there, in that they intend to do evil. Nobody really intends to do evil and we all justify our actions. Whoever created the monument thinks the points on it are fundamentally good.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Just as long as the monument has writing that talks about reducing the human population down to no more than 500 million globally. But monuments that celebrate the founding of this country? Oh no, tear them down!

It doesn't talk about reducing population, it specifically says to "mantain" the population at those levels.

Keep in mind this was built for survivors of a hypothetical nuclear holocaust.

You should stop making assumptions about what sort of monuments people want torn down.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Wonder if they'll get rebuilt.
And hoping they make those that did this pay for a new set.

I'm hoping they get serious prison time. Unlicensed use of explosives is a felony.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm not too interested in preserving resources, personally, so I'd rather go with a massive project that costs lots of money.

The government usually agrees with that idea.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Why spend so much money on something so expensive just to display some controversial messages? Why not post them on a bulletin board, or a website? It would take far, FAR less resources, and therefore be better for the planet.

The messages weren't for present generations.

Why should we want it to be reconstructed when it represents everything wrong with the current global elite world vision? That specific line about limiting the world to five hundred million is, quite frankly, evil.

I don't think the world will ever be one single unit, but within the world we do have enemies and we do have friends. The people who built said monument are not our friends and they don't deserve pity or tolerance.

It's not evil: it's not far off from what many experts say is the long term carrying capacity of the earth. No more than two billion people.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It doesn't talk about reducing population, it specifically says to "mantain" the population at those levels.

Keep in mind this was built for survivors of a hypothetical nuclear holocaust.

A reduction needs to happen from the current 7.75 billion down to 500 million first in order for 500 million to be maintained.

You should stop making assumptions about what sort of monuments people want torn down.

Why would I make an assumption about it after actually witnessing it?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Then it's outdated. So what difference does it make it outdated messages on some slabs of rock are blown up or not? Are we supposed to worship monuments now?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,088.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It's not evil: it's not far off from what many experts say is the long term carrying capacity of the earth. No more than two billion people.

It is evil when you start to talk about controlling reproduction, especially on a global level. The amount of power a state would need in order to reinforce such a vision, especially against people who flout the standard makes it repulsive in my view.

What do you think would happen to dissidents under such a regime? Would they be tolerated and allowed to do as they wish? Probably not because it would go against the stated mission of the government or elite class.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A reduction needs to happen from the current 7.75 billion down to 500 million first in order for 500 million to be maintained.
Yes, the people who built it in the 80s believed that nuclear war was inevitable. They constructed the guidestones as a blueprint for rebuilding society after a nuclear holocaust. That's why they were etched in stone and in multiple languages. Their choice of location is somewhat questionable, as are some of the directives, but as far as I've been able to determine, there's no actual nefarious intent behind them.

• Informative
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0