Gallup: Record-High 70% in U.S. Support Same-Sex Marriage (including 55% of Republicans)

Hvizsgyak

Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill
✟94,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The rainbow has existed for billions of years. It was not a recent 'invention" nor was it ever made. It is just basic optics.

Nor is marriage a sacrament. It is not the property of any one church or religion or organization.

If your church won't perform such ceremonies that is their right. But you cannot force other churches or organizations to do so anymore than they can force you to observe Ramadan.

Your first point about the rainbow falls under the category "who created the big bang" if you are a Christian, God is the answer thus He created the rainbow. Now prove to me how did the Big Bang start... I rest my case.

In the Catholic Church, Orthodox Church, and possibly a few Protestant churches marriage is a sacrament and it was the property of religion far before it became mixed up with the government.

I don't think I or the Church is trying to stop other religious institutions from holding gay marriages but it would be nice if we were allowed to preach to our people and others listening what we believe - that engaging in homosexual sex is sinful. And we should not be fined or jailed for it as in Canada.

Upvote 0

Hvizsgyak

Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill
✟94,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Even if it was it seems that "allowing' (I don't think that is the proper term to use) others to transition does no harm to me or to other non-transsexual people. And it appears to help them. In other words even if it was a mental disease since there is no "cure" then transitioning is the next best option. And please note it is an option. No one is forcing operations on people.

Its questionable if it really helps them but it place a new burden on alot of people to accept them thus causing more problems than solving any. And trust me there are alot of people who will not accept them. Yes, some will hate them (which is very wrong) but alot of them will just not understand them. And trying to teach this stuff to young kids (which some people would like have happen) will bring more problems into this world.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
...but it would be nice if we were allowed to preach to our people and others listening what we believe - that engaging in homosexual sex is sinful.
Who’s stopping you?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Its questionable if it really helps them but it place a new burden on alot of people to accept them thus causing more problems than solving any. And trust me there are alot of people who will not accept them. Yes, some will hate them (which is very wrong) but alot of them will just not understand them. And trying to teach this stuff to young kids (which some people would like have happen) will bring more problems into this world.
How does it place a burden on people? And there is evidence that they are not mentally ill.

Yes there are a lot of bigots out there. How does that help your position?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Your first point about the rainbow falls under the category "who created the big bang" if you are a Christian, God is the answer thus He created the rainbow. Now prove to me how did the Big Bang start... I rest my case.

In the Catholic Church, Orthodox Church, and possibly a few Protestant churches marriage is a sacrament and it was the property of religion far before it became mixed up with the government.

I don't think I or the Church is trying to stop other religious institutions from holding gay marriages but it would be nice if we were allowed to preach to our people and others listening what we believe - that engaging in homosexual sex is sinful. And we should not be fined or jailed for it as in Canada.
Yes, it is a sacrament within various churches. So what? That does not give them any sort of ownership over marriage. And when people claim that God invented the rainbow that is usually a reference to the Noah's Ark myth.

Lastly, thanks for admitting that you are wrong about the Big Bang and therefore perhaps even the existence of your God. You used a logical fallacy. That earned one in response.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I know I'll catch hell for this but I'll say it anyway : with each giving in to these different mental disorders, we are opening a pandora's box further and further and bringing more calamity that piece of mind and calmness in our society.
They aren't mental disorders.

Originally, gay people just wanted to be consider a legitimate person for their gay partner in making medical decisions.
actually gay people originally just wanted to not live in fear that they would be butchered on the streets.

As for your point about about medical decisions the religious right spent decades and millions of dollars trying to prevent that very thing.

Then the demands started to grow to the point where a gay person demands the Church recognize and accept their lifestyle or there will be consequences (like take our good friends to the north -Canada, Churches can't even speak out that gay sex is sinful : Same-sex "Marriage" and the Persecution of Christians in Canada (crisismagazine.com)).
your link makes many many false claims but it doesn't say Churches can't preach an anti-gay message

Now it the trans people turn to start their demands on society and other questionable sexual/marriage arrangements (polygamy, lower age for sexual consent, incestuous relations). And all this time, our society has been becoming more dark and destructive.
it's interesting that examples of "questionable sexual/marriage arrangements" are all biblicaly supported

So what needs to happen is this fringe thinking needs to end - period!!!

That doesn't mean we lock up all those who hold these views but it will be taught in schools that holding and wanting these views to become reality is very wrong forcing this kind of behavior back into the box from which it came.
sounds like locking them up to me

We will care for those who hold these views, we will befriend and work in harmony with those who hold these views
like how Christians did with medical rights of same sex couples?

but we will not educate any child in this country that these very are valid and normal views.
but since they are valid and normal does that mean we should lie to children?

This country truly needs to wake up from allowing this "anything goes" mentality. Like someone said "with freedom comes responsibility" and we are really heading to be a very irresponsible nation. We have a bunch of "I don't care, you can't make me, I'll sue you, I can do what I want, I don't need to do that" little brats (both adults and young).
yes, but fortunately the fundamentalist viewpoint is loosing support

Now, I'll just sit back and watch all those people tear my little tirade apart. It should be fun to watch:help:.
is that why you posted?[/quote][/quote]

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Sorry but history is on my side: Marriage was created way before the government got involved in the business:clap:.
marriage was a social and civil arrangement long before religion got involved

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
They aren't mental disorders.

actually gay people originally just wanted to not live in fear that they would be butchered on the streets.

As for your point about about medical decisions the religious right spent decades and millions of dollars trying to prevent that very thing.

your link makes many many false claims but it doesn't say Churches can't preach an anti-gay message

it's interesting that examples of "questionable sexual/marriage arrangements" are all biblicaly supported

sounds like locking them up to me

like how Christians did with medical rights of same sex couples?

but since they are valid and normal does that mean we should lie to children?

yes, but fortunately the fundamentalist viewpoint is loosing support

is that why you posted?

The Christian record concerning the treatment of gay people is so horrible and perverse that it hardly needs to be pointed out to anybody who is not under the spell of its indoctrination.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It also predates Christianity. Your point?

There's considerable debate among anthropologists about what early family and kin structures were like among humans. Most of the models have nothing to do with 1950's nuclear families. Some don't even involve things we'ld recognize as marriage, such as paritable paternity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
When it comes to situations like this, I quite prefer St. Paul's take in his first epistle to the Corinthians (5:12), "For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside?"

Some people have told me that this is really lazy/not 'dedicated' enough or whatever, but I've never had anyone tell me that it somehow isn't clear, unlike all this "let's argue over what to call it" business (civil partnership, marriage, whatever). I'm not really so wedded to a word or concept that I likely disagree with other Christians on the particulars of anyway that I think it somehow profanes the marriages of those who don't come to the Church seeking that their unions be blessed by it in the first place. They're already profane, in the sense of secular/not sacramental, which is the only division my own Church seems to recognize anyway (e.g., we are not allowed to marry outside of the communion in the Coptic Orthodox Church, since marriage is a sacrament to us, so marrying non-Orthodox is functionally equivalent to placing oneself outside of the communion by seeking to have this sacrament outside of it).

This works well enough for us even though it looks barbaric or whatever when set against the terms and norms of modern secular societies in the west. That's a good thing from where I'm sitting, as had the Church followed the society in an analogous manner in its original homelands it wouldn't exist anymore, and what would replace it (Islam) is not better with regard to its outlook on marriage, and certainly not with regard to its treatment of gays. We simply say we won't marry them or recognize their marriages, the same as we do with anyone else who seeks a marriage we won't recognize (e.g., with non-Orthodox); Islamic shari'a does worse than that, and that is a salient distinction in the MENA region (not in the US, I realize).

I know it is a hard pill for some people responding to this thread to swallow, but Christianity is not actually the worst religion out there with regard to its treatment of homosexuality. Far from it, I'd say, though I would also admit that I am pretty biased against people not recognizing how good they have it to be living in a western country with a large Christian population in the first place (yes, even with the presence of religious conservatives and others who won't just get with the program on these sociopolitical wedge issues already). We Christians are at least amenable to some level of secularization via a certain reading of "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's" (though I think the way that this is shaking out in the USA, where I live, is profoundly stupid and short-sighted, possibly even malignant, but that's another matter) and the strong tradition of Christian monasticism, built as it is on recognizing the inherent difference between life in the city vs. life in the monastery, which is paralleled by a similar distinction which can be made between life in the Church vs. whatever is going on outside of it (or else we wouldn't have in our scriptures verses like the one I opened this post with).

Anyway, just my two cents, and probably worth even less than that. Carry on, wayward thread. :D

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,165,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Interesting, 50% of Republicans favor gay marriage. That part surprises me. Will come a time when LGBT pride isn't felt to be needed and maybe kink and whatnot can take center stage.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There's considerable debate among anthropologists about what early family and kin structures were like among humans. Most of the models have nothing to do with 1950's nuclear families. Some don't even involve things we'ld recognize as marriage, such as paritable paternity.

Christianity appeared on the scene around 2000 years ago. We have extensive records of the things that happened before it.

You don't have to go back to "early" structures, there is plenty of recorded history before Christianity.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I know it is a hard pill for some people responding to this thread to swallow, but Christianity is not actually the worst religion out there with regard to its treatment of homosexuality. Far from it, I'd say, though I would also admit that I am pretty biased against people not recognizing how good they have it to be living in a western country with a large Christian population in the first place (yes, even with the presence of religious conservatives and others who won't just get with the program on these sociopolitical wedge issues already). We Christians are at least amenable to some level of secularization via a certain reading of "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's" (though I think the way that this is shaking out in the USA, where I live, is profoundly stupid and short-sighted, possibly even malignant, but that's another matter) and the strong tradition of Christian monasticism, built as it is on recognizing the inherent difference between life in the city vs. life in the monastery, which is paralleled by a similar distinction which can be made between life in the Church vs. whatever is going on outside of it (or else we wouldn't have in our scriptures verses like the one I opened this post with).

Anyway, just my two cents, and probably worth even less than that. Carry on, wayward thread. :D

Many people are quite fond of the idea of an enlightened secular democratic republic.

A lot of the people who wish it weren't so around here in my life time are the Christians who want to use their political power to tell everyone how to live.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Interesting, 50% of Republicans favor gay marriage. That part surprises me. Will come a time when LGBT pride isn't felt to be needed and maybe kink and whatnot can take center stage.
Right because slippery be the slope.
Relax, in a hundred years society will be so locked down that no deviation will be tolerated.
What a grand time, it’ll be then!

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Christianity appeared on the scene around 2000 years ago. We have extensive records of the things that happened before it.

You don't have to go back to "early" structures, there is plenty of recorded history before Christianity.

Christianity is based on a religious tradition that is at least 2,500-3,000 years old.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,165,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Right because slippery be the slope.
Relax, in a hundred years society will be so locked down that no deviation will be tolerated.
What a grand time, it’ll be then!

Uh huh. The thing is I actually want this to happen. Seems like the last few years every June there is always a debate about kinky people at pride. The whining and ignorance from many in the LGBT community is disgraceful. I think many of them are worried that kink has too many straight white heterosexual men in it.

I'm not afraid of society changing. Lol.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Christianity is based on a religious tradition that is at least 2,500-3,000 years old.

Loosely, and to the extent that the tradition was contiguous over that time period.

And, in the same period people were getting married all the time outside of that "tradition".

The point? Your religion never owned the concept and didn't originate it. You co-opted it and now you want to be in charge of it.

The idea that you should be able to dictate it's meaning to unbelievers is ludicrous.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,641.00
Faith
Atheist
Loosely, and to the extent that the tradition was contiguous over that time period.

And, in the same period people were getting married all the time outside of that "tradition".

The point? Your religion never owned the concept and didn't originate it. You co-opted it and now you want to be in charge of it.

The idea that you should be able to dictate it's meaning to unbelievers is ludicrous.
@FireDragon76's info shows other religion. Your rant may be misdirected.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
@FireDragon76's info shows other religion. Your rant may be misdirected.

My point isn't that Christianity's definition of marriage is correct, only that elements of the Christian tradition date back to the copper and bronze ages. They also are shared by alot of similar cultures that came from that region of the world.

Upvote 0