Gallup: Record-High 70% in U.S. Support Same-Sex Marriage (including 55% of Republicans)

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
U.S. support for legal same-sex marriage continues to trend upward, now at 70% -- a new high in Gallup's trend since 1996. This latest figure marks an increase of 10 percentage points since 2015, when the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that all states must recognize same-sex marriages.

A small minority of Americans (27%) supported legal recognition of gay and lesbian marriages in 1996, when Gallup first asked the question. But support rose steadily over time, eventually reaching the majority level for the first time in 2011.

Republicans, who have consistently been the party group least in favor of same-sex marriage, show majority support in 2021 for the first time (55%). The latest increase in support among all Americans is driven largely by changes in Republicans' views.

Since the sky hasn't fallen, even Republicans are coming around to see how little of an issue this really is.

Still amazing to see it go from 27% to 70% within my lifetime.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It does say, "same-sex marriages" rather than same sex unions. I would not be surprised about unions but Marriage does surprise me.
Given that marriage has more power and meaning compared to union, it is not surprising at all.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Given that marriage has more power and meaning compared to union, it is not surprising at all.
I think it is because people would dig their heels in more just because it has more power and meaning.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟987,269.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
U.S. support for legal same-sex marriage continues to trend upward, now at 70% -- a new high in Gallup's trend since 1996. This latest figure marks an increase of 10 percentage points since 2015, when the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that all states must recognize same-sex marriages.

A small minority of Americans (27%) supported legal recognition of gay and lesbian marriages in 1996, when Gallup first asked the question. But support rose steadily over time, eventually reaching the majority level for the first time in 2011.

Republicans, who have consistently been the party group least in favor of same-sex marriage, show majority support in 2021 for the first time (55%). The latest increase in support among all Americans is driven largely by changes in Republicans' views.

Since the sky hasn't fallen, even Republicans are coming around to see how little of an issue this really is.

Still amazing to see it go from 27% to 70% within my lifetime.

These figures are consistent with Pew Research data showing general acceptance of homosexuality within the US has risen dramatically from 47% in 2003 to 72% in 2019.

Views of Homosexuality Around the World | Pew Research Center
PG_2020.06.25_Global-Views-Homosexuality_0-05.png

OB

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟987,269.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
When the Media, Government and Academia support a movement, why would anyone be surprised at this outcome?

Maybe we should be calling June "Gay Conspiracy Month" to keep the Pearl Clutchers happy.

OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,184,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟289,913.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The numbers make me wonder how long people will be willing to die on this hill.
For as long as they believe LGBT is bad or negative. It will be a significant minority but so long as they're tolerated there will continue to be dissidents.

• Agree
Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟987,269.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Maybe we should be calling June "Gay Conspiracy Month" to keep the Pearl Clutchers happy.

OB

You didn't know that the Gay Movement is in cahoots with left wing media, left wing governments and left wing academia with the specific objective of turning us all gay by 2027?

See Page 203 of the Great Reset Operating Manual; Phase 3; Retuning the World's Gaydar - please keep up Iggy. o_O

OB

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟289,913.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You didn't know that the Gay Movement is in cahoots with left wing media, left wing governments and left wing academia with the specific objective of turning us all gay by 2027?

See Page 203 of the Great Reset Operating Manual; Phase 3; Retuning the World's Gaydar - please keep up Iggy. o_O

OB
You mock the idea but it's not exactly a conspiracy as simply an observation that those in positions of power have determined that gay acceptance is the way we should go as a society. Kids media for instance when I was a kid had no trace of homosexuality. Now it's mainstream in most of children's programing. This has effects and I respect the Homosexuals and their supporters for doing a brilliant job in garnering support.

Christians could learn from them and their methods.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,184,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
For as long as they believe LGBT is bad or negative. It will be a significant minority but so long as they're tolerated there will continue to be dissidents.
I am more thinking of organizations and denominations. Any idea has passionate cranks willing to go to war for it but how long will organizations wishing to participate in the mainstream be willing to hold this line after society at large has moved so far past it being a matter up for discussion?

• Winner
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟987,269.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
You mock the idea but it's not exactly a conspiracy as simply an observation that those in positions of power have determined that gay acceptance is the way we should go as a society. Kids media for instance when I was a kid had no trace of homosexuality. Now it's mainstream in most of children's programming. This has effects and I respect the Homosexuals and their supporters for doing a brilliant job in garnering support.

Christians could learn from them and their methods.

It's a real problem isn't it? I'm also seeing more Asian faces and indigenous people along with Philippinos and Ethiopians on both adult and kids media. Let's not forget women being depicted as engineers and mechanics and bosses.

You wait - next we'll be seeing people with disabilities. :wave:

OB

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟289,913.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am more thinking of organizations and denominations. Any idea has passionate cranks willing to go to war for it but how long will organizations wishing to participate in the mainstream be willing to hold this line after society at large has moved so far past it being a matter up for discussion?

The organizations that seek short term gain will loose out in the long term, whereas those that prioritize long term gain will in in the long term or be able to weather potential storms.

At one time you might have been thought mad if you thought there would be a Christian Emperor. Society is not set in stone. Things can change and it is hubris to think yours is the end state of civilization.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟289,913.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's a real problem isn't it? I'm also seeing more Asian faces and indigenous people along with Philippinos and Ethiopians on both adult and kids media. Let's not forget women being depicted as engineers and mechanics and bosses.

You wait - next we'll be seeing people with disabilities. :wave:

OB

So you agree with me that there is an effort in Media to promote certain ideas over others? Alright then.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟987,269.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
So you agree with me that there is an effort in Media to promote certain ideas over others? Alright then.

There is an effort in society generally to show the 'hidden people' - those people who form a normal everyday part of society but have been ignored. There's a saying Iggy;

You can't be what you can't see

Recognising the range of people in a society does no harm to those who previously featured. This isn't a zero sum game.

OB

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟289,913.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There is an effort in society generally to show the 'hidden people' - those people who form a normal everyday part of society but have been ignored. There's a saying Iggy;

You can't be what you can't see

Recognising the range of people in a society does no harm to those who previously featured. This isn't a zero sum game.

OB

Yeah, but how does that make what I said a conspiracy theory? You're changing the goalposts from mocking to what I said to celebrating the very notion of what I said. I have no doubt you're happy with the current situation. You should work on following up the victory and crushing your opponents.

Upvote 0