Friends of yours watch Heaven Is For Real and ask you about it?

Is Colton Burpo a credible witness?

• Yes

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • I am not sure but I am looking into this.

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Actually, your not 100% correct. Jesus had told them where He was going they could not go. You misinterpret John 14. If you look through the Scriptures Jesus' reference to "My Father's house" is the temple. Nowhere in Scripture is Heaven ever called "My Father's house". To claim such has no basis at all in Scripture. Further evidence is seen from His statement 'In My Father's house there are many dwellings'. The dwellings in the Temple were small living spaces for the priests who served at the temple. This is what Jesus was referencing.
If His Father's house was merely the Temple, how come they wouldn't be able to go there?
And if the "Many dwelling places" Jesus referred to, were merely the living places the priests used, it would never be sufficient to house all his followers.
And if the disciple's dwelling place was going to be the temple, what happened in 70AD when it was destroyed.
It makes no sense Jesus referring to the Temple, as their destination, when his death that night would render the temple and its sacrifices obsolete!
As I said, there is not a single passage of Scripture that says people go to Heaven.
Except the ones I've already quoted.
We have Jesus telling the Jews and His disciples that they could not go where He was going. Then He went to the Father. "My Father's house" is the Temple. Nowhere is Scripture is Heaven every called "My Father's house". It seems pretty clear.
But scripture shows that Jesus went nowhere hear the temple on his last night, which makes a mockery of your interpretation.

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If His Father's house was merely the Temple, how come they wouldn't be able to go there?
And if the "Many dwelling places" Jesus referred to, were merely the living places the priests used, it would never be sufficient to house all his followers.
And if the disciple's dwelling place was going to be the temple, what happened in 70AD when it was destroyed.
Firstly, He didn't say all of His followers would go there. He said He was going to prepare a place for them.

It makes no sense Jesus referring to the Temple, as their destination, when his death that night would render the temple and its sacrifices obsolete!['quote]

Sure it would. There's another temple. The apostle John was told in Revelation to go and measure the temple.

And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.
2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.1 (Rev. 11:1-2 KJV)

Except the ones I've already quoted.

You haven't quoted any. You referenced two chapters

But scripture shows that Jesus went nowhere hear the temple on his last night, which makes a mockery of your interpretation.

See above. However, I didn't give an interpretation I simply states some facts. There is not a single passage of Scripture that says people go to Heaven. Heaven is never referred to in Scripture as "My Father's house". Jesus told the disciples and the Jews that where He was going they could not go. These are facts.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Firstly, He didn't say all of His followers would go there. He said He was going to prepare a place for them.
If you're going to play that game, slicing and dicing what Jesus says, then you have to apply it to the rest of what he said, not just select sentences.

You will note the following in the midst of that passage-
34A new commandment I give to you, that you should love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another. 35By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love among one another.”

Also this-
6Jesus says to him, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father, if not by Me. 7If you had known Me, you would also have known My Father. From now you know Him, and have seen Him.”

Or this perhaps-
15If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
16And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you to the age— 17the Spirit of truth, whom the world is not able to receive, because it does not see Him nor know. But you know Him, for He abides with you and He will be in you.

If you decide the verses you don't like were not meant for everybody, but just a few, then you have to eliminate the above verses from the body of Christ

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you're going to play that game, slicing and dicing what Jesus says, then you have to apply it to the rest of what he said, not just select sentences.

You will note the following in the midst of that passage-
34A new commandment I give to you, that you should love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another. 35By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love among one another.”

Also this-
6Jesus says to him, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father, if not by Me. 7If you had known Me, you would also have known My Father. From now you know Him, and have seen Him.”

Or this perhaps-
15If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
16And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you to the age— 17the Spirit of truth, whom the world is not able to receive, because it does not see Him nor know. But you know Him, for He abides with you and He will be in you.

If you decide the verses you don't like were not meant for everybody, but just a few, then you have to eliminate the above verses from the body of Christ

I don't have to eliminate them at all. They were spoken to the disciples. If you want to apply them to others then you have to show how it's applicable. But, this doesn't address the evidence. Jesus told the Jews and the disciples that where He was going they couldn't go. He said He would come back so that they could be with Him. Nowhere in Scripture is Heaven referred to as "My Father's house".

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't have to eliminate them at all. They were spoken to the disciples. If you want to apply them to others then you have to show how it's applicable. But, this doesn't address the evidence. Jesus told the Jews and the disciples that where He was going they couldn't go. He said He would come back so that they could be with Him. Nowhere in Scripture is Heaven referred to as "My Father's house".

So what about John 14 ?

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Jesus told them they couldn't go.

But what if little Colton Burpo and Dean Braxton and Howard Storm and Kevin Zadai were actually dead........ and then were resurrected by Jesus due to the prayers of others for them and........
also partly due to the fact that medical science has progressed so that doctors and their emergency team can assist a soul to return to its body?

Once we do die, even if it is only for a matter of moments... then while dead we can temporarily view heaven...... or hell.

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But what if little Colton Burpo and Dean Braxton and Howard Storm and Kevin Zadai were actually dead........ and then were resurrected by Jesus due to the prayers of others for them and........
also partly due to the fact that medical science has progressed so that doctors and their emergency team can assist a soul to return to its body?

Once we do die, even if it is only for a matter of moments... then while dead we can temporarily view heaven...... or hell.

How? How can one view anything when they are dead?

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
How? How can one view anything when they are dead?

When we flatline the human spirit leaves the body and can hear, smell, see but with much greater clarity than while we are in this body.

Matthew chapter has many elements of what one can do when your spirit leaves your body.

Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he afterward hungered.

3 And the tempter came and said unto him, If thou art the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.

4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

5 Then the devil taketh him into the holy city; and he set him on the pinnacle of the temple, 6 and saith unto him, If thou art the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and, On their hands they shall bear thee up, Lest haply thou dash thy foot against a stone.

7 Jesus said unto him, Again it is written, Thou shalt not make trial of the Lord thy God.

8 Again, the devil taketh him unto an exceeding high mountain, and showeth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; 9 and he said unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

11 Then the devil leaveth him; and behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

After you read several of these near death experience accounts you will see Matthew 4 in a whole new light.

The Howard Storm near death experience account will help us to look at Matthew 5
in a whole new light....

9 And if thy right eye causeth thee to stumble, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not thy whole body be cast into hell.

30 And if thy right hand causeth thee to stumble, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not thy whole body go into hell.

Howard Storm's Near-Death Experience

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When we flatline the human spirit leaves the body and can hear, smell, see but with much greater clarity than while we are in this body.

Matthew chapter has many elements of what one can do when your spirit leaves your body.

Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he afterward hungered.

3 And the tempter came and said unto him, If thou art the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.

4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

5 Then the devil taketh him into the holy city; and he set him on the pinnacle of the temple, 6 and saith unto him, If thou art the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and, On their hands they shall bear thee up, Lest haply thou dash thy foot against a stone.

7 Jesus said unto him, Again it is written, Thou shalt not make trial of the Lord thy God.

8 Again, the devil taketh him unto an exceeding high mountain, and showeth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; 9 and he said unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

11 Then the devil leaveth him; and behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

After you read several of these near death experience accounts you will see Matthew 4 in a whole new light.

The Howard Storm near death experience account will help us to look at Matthew 5
in a whole new light....

9 And if thy right eye causeth thee to stumble, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not thy whole body be cast into hell.

30 And if thy right hand causeth thee to stumble, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not thy whole body go into hell.

Howard Storm's Near-Death Experience

I would submit that there is no such thing as a human spirit. Humans are not spirits they physical beings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Souls are dead then are they?

Have you seen what a soul does when it dies?

What is death like?
In the Bible the word soul is used two ways
Concretely it's a living being. Abstractly it's life.

A dead person is not a living being and they don't have life.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,009,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In the Bible the word soul is used two ways
Concretely it's a living being. Abstractly it's life.

A dead person is not a living being and they don't have life.

Then, you cannot answer my question! Thought as much.

Upvote 0