Sep 18, 2010
✟886,360.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi again Myst33, it seems to me that the difference between believers, and those who simply "claim" to be (but are not), begins with/principally involves "regeneration" (as Tree already mentioned above) .. Ezekiel 36:26-27; John 3:3, or the lack thereof. IOW, to truly be a Christian, it means that we have been quickened/regenerated/caused to be born again ("made alive" spiritually) by God, because only then can we come to "saving" faith in Him through the "gift" that He gives to all of those who are His .. e.g. Ephesians 2:8.

Yours and His,
David

Ephesians 2
1 You were dead in your trespasses and sins,
2 in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.
3 Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.
4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved).

I chose God before I was regenerated. After chosing God He regenerated me.

To be dead in sins simply means not born again, it has nothing to do with free will. When we choose God, God will regenerate us by grace.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0

Gabriel12

Nov 24, 2018
Bakerfield
✟8,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
This is what Martin Luther said to Erasmus in his work The Bondage of the Will. This famous book was written in response to Erasmus' The Freedom of the Will. Some might be surprised, however, by the nature of their debate.

When Reformers like Luther denied the doctrine of free will, they were not denying that man needs to choose Christ in order to be saved. For the Reformers, the will was very important in salvation. Rather, the question that they concerned themselves with was this:

Does fallen man have the freedom to live a virtuous life? It was really not a question of ontological ability, but moral ability.

Erasmus and other semi-pelagians argued that fallen man maintains some spark of goodness and is able, all on his own, to recognize God, choose God, repent of his sin, and live a virtuous life. Luther, following Augustine, rather believed that man was entirely fallen and was morally unable to recognize God or to repent of his sin. In order for man to be saved, he needed for God to miraculously save him by reaching into his heart, regenerating him, and renewing his will. Only then could man freely choose God - his will being liberated by God.

Free will is a fiction not because of God's election or predestination. Free will is a fiction because fallen, sinful man hates God and is unable to freely choose him unless God changes his heart.

Upvote 0

Gabriel12

Nov 24, 2018
Bakerfield
✟8,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Free will is one of mans biggest questions since the beginning of time. Religion aside, every man has wondered of his own fate, does he really have control of his own destiny?
From my standpoint I believe that free will is a matter of perception. From a humans perspective, I am writing whatever I feel like I need to say to other humans. But from HIS perspective he knows your heart and know what you are going to say before you say it. So free will,in Our finite minds, exists but in an infinite mind with infinite knowledge how can free will exist?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Luther believed "that man was entirely fallen and was morally unable to recognize God or to repent of his sin. In order for man to be saved, he needed for God to miraculously save him by reaching into his heart, regenerating him, and renewing his will". Which opens the door wide to the heresy of predestination, and characterizes God as an imperfect being with the same weaknesses as human beings.

Heresy of predestination? When did the RCC condemn Augustine and Aquinas as heretics?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The people you are speaking off, were people whose hearts were not good ,were not inclined to generosity ,so they were speaking subjectively .Goodness was something they had never experienced ,so they imagined everyone was like them .

But while humanity needs Christ to climb up ,to grow and 'evolve' ,a lot of people are born with generous hearts ,which have developed by practising goodness through generations of families . No one is ever perfect enough ,but ………

Anyone who watches people from childhood can see that each one is different ,and that some are born with better intentions than others .

This is the heresy of Pelagianism.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I chose God before I was regenerated. After chosing God He regenerated me.

To be dead in sins simply means not born again, it has nothing to do with free will. When we choose God, God will regenerate us by grace.

This, again, is the heresy of Pelagianism.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The people you are speaking off, were people whose hearts were not good ,were not inclined to generosity ,so they were speaking subjectively .Goodness was something they had never experienced ,so they imagined everyone was like them .

But while humanity needs Christ to climb up ,to grow and 'evolve' ,a lot of people are born with generous hearts ,which have developed by practising goodness through generations of families . No one is ever perfect enough ,but ………

Anyone who watches people from childhood can see that each one is different ,and that some are born with better intentions than others .
Though the doctrine of Total Depravity teaches that every part of man is corrupted by sin, it recognizes that mankind is restrained from behaving according to that corruption.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
How can they freely choose wickedness if "sinful man hates God and is unable to freely choose him unless God changes his heart"?

God did change his heart when he sent Jesus to die for our sins, he finished it.

We all are now forgiven for our sins because there is no such thing as a perfect human being, we all sin, all.

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
This is what Martin Luther said to Erasmus in his work The Bondage of the Will. This famous book was written in response to Erasmus' The Freedom of the Will. Some might be surprised, however, by the nature of their debate.

When Reformers like Luther denied the doctrine of free will, they were not denying that man needs to choose Christ in order to be saved. For the Reformers, the will was very important in salvation. Rather, the question that they concerned themselves with was this:

Does fallen man have the freedom to live a virtuous life? It was really not a question of ontological ability, but moral ability.

Erasmus and other semi-pelagians argued that fallen man maintains some spark of goodness and is able, all on his own, to recognize God, choose God, repent of his sin, and live a virtuous life. Luther, following Augustine, rather believed that man was entirely fallen and was morally unable to recognize God or to repent of his sin. In order for man to be saved, he needed for God to miraculously save him by reaching into his heart, regenerating him, and renewing his will. Only then could man freely choose God - his will being liberated by God.

Free will is a fiction not because of God's election or predestination. Free will is a fiction because fallen, sinful man hates God and is unable to freely choose him unless God changes his heart.

I would rather be a slave to God then a puppet for the devil.

Reactions: Tree of Life
Upvote 0

Don Maurer

^Oh well^
Jun 5, 2013
Pa, USA, Earth, solar system, milky way, universe.
✟53,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Though the doctrine of Total Depravity teaches that every part of man is corrupted by sin, it recognizes that mankind is restrained from behaving according to that corruption.
That is not true. The term "total depravity" goes back to those who reacted against the 5 points of the Remonstrance. You will never see any such statements among those who reacted against the Remonstrance.

• Informative
Upvote 0

mobius8curve

Nov 18, 2018
PA
✟2,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Anyone who bothers to study Romans chapter 9 with Ephesians chapter 1 has to conclude that the free will of man thesis is totally absurd:

us-ward

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
God did change his heart when he sent Jesus to die for our sins, he finished it.

We all are now forgiven for our sins because there is no such thing as a perfect human being, we all sin, all.

This is a mixture of universalism and mormonism. It is not biblical Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That is not true. The term "total depravity" goes back to those who reacted against the 5 points of the Remonstrance. You will never see any such statements among those who reacted against the Remonstrance.

Total depravity means that sin has affected every part. It is distinguished from utter depravity which means that man is as sinful as he can possibly be.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
This is a mixture of universalism and mormonism. It is not biblical Christianity.

When Jesus said it is finished and he also said if you belive I am the son of God and I rose from the dead you are saved, that is scripture.

So I guess what you are saying is if you have sin and you belive Jesus is the son of God and he died and rose then you still go to hell.

Sorry, I will listen to Jesus on this one.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
When Jesus said it is finished and he also said if you belive I am the son of God and I rose from the dead you are saved, that is scripture.

So I guess what you are saying is if you have sin and you belive Jesus is the son of God and he died and rose then you still go to hell.

Sorry, I will listen to Jesus on this one.

I'm sorry maybe I misunderstood you. It looked to me like you were saying that Jesus has changed every person's heart and saved every person, regardless of whether or not they repent and believe.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm sorry maybe I misunderstood you. It looked to me like you were saying that Jesus has changed every person's heart and saved every person, regardless of whether or not they repent and believe.

No, what I mean is

We all sin, this is why Jesus had to die, for all of us.

Its belief in him that saves us.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Because they freely choose sin.
That brings us to the question of free will and salvation, since we freely chose sin, doesn't that mean we have a choice with regards to salvation? I have an answer for that by the way, just curious how you would respond.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0