variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟293,730.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The problem with GA is that it had a record of more deconversions than conversions. Instead of reaching the lost for Christ the forum tended to shatter the faith of Christians who were not prepared to debate in that forum.

That’s the real problem here isn't it?

That the ideas of some aren't all that well suited for an open debate.

Best to limit contact with unbelievers?

Reactions: Crazy Liz
Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm just curious as at to what lengths LeeD would go to in order to stifle open discussion amongst a diverse group of people. It seems he has made lots of decisions lately to completely silence peer to peer discussion. Shutting down GA and turning it into open season on non-theists with legitimate questions is one way Lee has eliminated "uncomfortable topics" being discussed in the open. The first was when Questions About CF was closed for open peer to peer discussion on policy and decisions that affect the entire membership.

I figure the next forum to go by the wayside will be NCR, then E&M.

Upvote 0

Criada

Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That’s often because the responses they receive are evasive and don’t actually answer or even address the question that was asked. Other Christian responses in GA are simply unsupported assertions, errors, logical fallacies or misapprehensions that don’t provide reasonable answers to questions. Is it any wonder that people who are looking seriously for answers to their questions repeat them in the hope that someone will eventually provide a reasonable answer?

I originally posted in Questions for Non-Christians and was reported several times for entering into a debate with respondents. The rules were such that non-Christians just had to accept the Christian responses as true and final. There, evasive answers and unsupported assertions were treated as valid responses and no debate over them was to be permitted. Is that same policy going to apply to this new Exploring Christianity forum?

No, I think that the main difference between Questions for Non-Christians and this new forum is that discussion of the replies and development of the ideas discussed will be encouraged rather than shut down.

Upvote 0

Criada

Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Just curious. Will we still be able to access our profiles of our past threads and posts we started or will they be removed?

That would be a real bummer if I can't access all the threads I posted. I'd like to keep those.

I am not sure, but I'll find out for you. If not, you can save them before the forum closes.

Reactions: D'Ann
Upvote 0

Criada

Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Because of the way many of the Christians there treat not only non-christians and those questioning their faith, but also each other. It has nothing to do with Christians not being prepared to debate their faith with non-theists.

I'm bracing myself for the next round of closures. I'm almost certain that NCR will be closed next. I sure wouldn't want anyone getting the wrong idea that a religion other than Christianity has positive aspects to it. Then what? Ethics & Morality? Will Politics be moved to the CO section? Will Life Stages be made CO again?

I don't know why I came back. CF has only got worse. When Erwin owned this site not only did I feel tolerated, I felt that my presence here, regardless of religious affiliation, was an asset.

I agree, there has been some horrible behaviour by both Christians and non-Christians. And I hope that this new start will put an end to that, and we will be able to develop a respectful dialogue.

I no not think any more forums will be closing.. I hope and pray that they won't, but I am not in a position to give categorical assurances on that.

And, for what it is worth, you are a lot more than tolerated here, you are liked and respected, and I for one would be very sorry to see you go. :hug:

Reactions: Minty
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
No, I think that the main difference between Questions for Non-Christians and this new forum is that discussion of the replies and development of the ideas discussed will be encouraged rather than shut down.
We still haven't got the message that if you want to engage in mission you need to meet people in formats that suit them, not ones that suit us; to listen to them, not tell them what to do?

Upvote 0

Angel4Truth

Legend
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
✟65,490.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Posted right on the new forum : "Exploring Christianity A Forum for Non Christians to explore Christianity with Christians. No Debating or Apologetics Allowed."

Debate will still not be allowed and it will still not be an apologetic forum.

Upvote 0

Sitswithamouse

I look Time Lord
Mar 6, 2005
Devon, UK
✟13,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
I for one think this is a bad idea.
I'm with others on this issue that other forums have been closed and wonder which ones will go next.

In the words of Paul Harris - -
Segregation never brought anyone anything except trouble.

These decisions just make christianity and christians look like frightened little children who cannot handle their faith being tested.

It makes me sad.

Upvote 0

Criada

Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Posted right on the new forum : "Exploring Christianity A Forum for Non Christians to explore Christianity with Christians. No Debating or Apologetics Allowed."

Debate will still not be allowed and it will still not be an apologetic forum.

It is acceptable for the Original Poster (OP) to probe the answers given, and to continue the discussion on lines which help to clarify their understanding of the Christian faith.
I hope this will allow any discussion to develop fairly freely.

Upvote 0

3sigma

Jan 9, 2008
✟3,007.00
Faith
Atheist
I hope this will allow any discussion to develop fairly freely.
I don’t share your hope. The banner at the top of QNC reads: “This forum is NOT for Apologetics or debates.” whereas the banner at the top of the new forum reads: “No Debating or Apologetics Allowed.” If anything, the new forum warning seems stronger. Time will tell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Erwin really screwed up when he sold this site...not that he sold it, but in who he sold it to.
sold out........traitor.....Repent!....:angel:

John 14:30 "Not still much I shall be talking with ye, for is coming, the of the world, this, ruler/Chief/arcwn <758>, and in Me not he is having anything.

Mark 14:43 And immediately, while He was still speaking, Judas, one of the twelve, with a great multitude with swords and clubs, is coming from the Chief-Priests/arcierewn <749> and the Scribes and the Elders.

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

Criada

Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I don’t share your hope. The banner at the top of QNC reads: “This forum is NOT for Apologetics or debates.” whereas the banner at the top of the new forum reads: “No Debating or Apologetics Allowed.” If anything, the new forum warning seems stronger. Time will tell.

Indeed it will. I know that apologetics as such is not allowed, but there is a fine line between discussion and debate, and I think that as long as things remain civil, honest questioning is fine, and I hope that it will be a venue where Christians are willing to recognise and discuss the hard questions, rather than evading them in favour of the 'smart' or, frankly, trite replies which have often characterised GA.

Upvote 0

Bombila

Veteran
Nov 28, 2006
✟13,256.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Indeed it will. I know that apologetics as such is not allowed, but there is a fine line between discussion and debate, and I think that as long as things remain civil, honest questioning is fine, and I hope that it will be a venue where Christians are willing to recognise and discuss the hard questions, rather than evading them in favour of the 'smart' or, frankly, trite replies which have often characterised GA.

Again, from the Exploring Christianity FSGs:

Debate
This forum is for discussion of questions with non-Christians. There are some areas of theology in which different Christians may believe differently.
In these cases, we would ask Christians to refrain from debating the matter here. You may point out that there is a differing viewpoint, but please do not use this forum to debate with other Christians. If Christians wish to discuss various doctrines with other Christians, they should do so in the
Theology forums.

IOW, complete confusion may reign in these so-called discussions, where a 'seeker' asking a question might get half a dozen mutually exclusive answers from various 'kinds' of Christians, but those Christians will not be able to express why they think their take on it is preferable to another, as that will only lead to 'debate'.

Upvote 0

losthope

Dec 18, 2004
✟18,607.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
A few years ago I was searching for some forums, essentially for Christians but where contributions from non-Christians were welcomed. The majority of the forums for Christians did not welcome contributions from non-Christians. Christian Forums was an exception. In particular, the &#8220;General Apologetics&#8221; forum was valuable to me, someone who has been seeking for the truth for a very long time.

It is sad that the General Apologetics forum is being closed because of a desire for Christians to be looking inwards. It sounds good to say that you are focussing inward on the body of Christ, but Christ also told his followers to go out into the world to make disciples of all men. There are many forums in CF that are for Christians only, in which Christians can do all of the things that you say are important. In other words, any Christian who wants to avoid on-line contact with non-Christians can do so by only visiting the Christian-only forums.

If there have been some contributors to CF who have been causing strife and infighting, or endlessly debating against Christianity then maybe your rules should be modified or enforced more strictly to control this. Instead, it seems that all of us are being punished for the sins of a few. However, I realise that the concept of one person having to suffer for the sins of others is an aspect of Christianity, although it is not one that I myself subscribe to.

The new Exploring Christianity forum will be able to cover a small part of what was possible in General Apologetics. However, as far as I am aware there will be nowhere in CF for the following:

1. Christians to ask questions of non-Christians, or to challenge non-Christians.
2. Non-Christians to offer support to one another. It is unfortunate but many people have been seriously damaged by Christianity or by Christians.
3. Non-Christians to offer support to Christians. Yes, it does happen. For example a person who is going through a crisis of faith can sometimes get better help from a non-Christian &#8211; or a former Christian &#8211; than from a Christian, and be brought back into faith.
4. Non-Christians to point out the errors of other non-Christians.
5. Christians or non-Christians to ask non-Christians for information. Information which could help someone to find faith or to have their faith strengthened.

As a seeker after truth, I have received considerable help from Christians through General Apologetics.

It is sad that the effectiveness of CF in reaching non-Christians and potentially leading them to Christ is to be reduced simply because of a dislike for debate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As a seeker after truth, I have received considerable help from Christians through General Apologetics.

It is sad that the effectiveness of CF in reaching non-Christians and potentially leading them to Christ is to be reduced simply because of a dislike for debate.
Greetings. But did it help convert ya to JESUS :blush:

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

KCDAD

Aug 4, 2005
Illinois
✟14,800.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This thread is rapidly brinking on the edge of being closed.

I would advise everyone to dial it back.

What is it with the threats? You want to close it, close it. You want to ban someone, ban someone. You want to seek the truth, seek the truth. You have the power!

Upvote 0

Minty

S.O.P.H.I.E
Aug 6, 2007
South East London, England
✟19,598.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
What is it with the threats? You want to close it, close it. You want to ban someone, ban someone. You want to seek the truth, seek the truth. You have the power!
I don't think there are threats, just asking everyone to please be calm :hug:
[serious];49141426 said:
I can't help but think NCR is next on the block. Possibly C&E.
I know what you mean...I would hate for that to happen, there are lots of wonderful Non-Christians here at CF, and to lose them would be awful :(

Upvote 0

Bombila

Veteran
Nov 28, 2006
✟13,256.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think there are threats, just asking everyone to please be calm :hug:

I know what you mean...I would hate for that to happen, there are lots of wonderful Non-Christians here at CF, and to lose them would be awful :(

Everyone was calm, as you would know if you read the preceding posts. Several people asked why the admonition was made, as none of us could figure out what arborvita was talking about.

CF is losing Christians as fast as it is losing non-Christians, AFAICS. Too many changes, too much division, too much treating adult Christians as if they were five years old.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.