Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I agree and wonder if you think all pot smoking astrophysicists and theoretical physicists should also be on the same list?

I'd be interested in seeing how many NASA engineers who manage to build launch vehicles that launch into orbit are able to do so while on drugs. Same for those who design satellites that are put into orbit to make our lives a whole lot easier. Rather difficult to be on drugs and be able to do those things. Much easier to be on drugs and come up with unproven theories about how the earth is flat.

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because human beings suck at keeping secrets, they suck more and more when they include more and more people, governments are especially bad at keeping secrets, and in order to keep the shape of the Earth secret, they would have to include lots of people in just about every government on the planet.

Ever look at the pyramid of the American one dollar bill? Only the capstone can see the truth. Are you so certain that it can't be done? That it hasn't? What about "the big lie"? Do you deny that people believe things, supply because those things are repeated enough times? That they are big enough?

We're taught the globe as children, no? Did we question or? Did you? If so, what was the answer given?

___
Fun experiment I tried once

I created a fake Earth with aurora ring in Photoshop and posted it as a comment on Facebook. I said the photo was from NASA. However, what I also did was say I thought the photo was fake.

Guess what happened? People commented, telling me why this fake photo was real, explaining away the graphical issues with a variety of excuses.

Only a few actually tried to search it up on NASA's website. The rest? They kept telling me it was real. When I revealed that I had created it, the entire thread went silent, outside of a few insults.

I also did another variation of the experiment with a lizard I superimposed on the surface of Mars. I declared that there was a lizard on Mars. Most told me it was a rock or bad lighting. Others frantically searched NASA's website for the image. The rest? They told me I hoaxed it and they were right.

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd be interested in seeing how many NASA engineers who manage to build launch vehicles that launch into orbit are able to do so while on drugs. Same for those who design satellites that are put into orbit to make our lives a whole lot easier. Rather difficult to be on drugs and be able to do those things. Much easier to be on drugs and come up with unproven theories about how the earth is flat.
**Looks at your avatar***

I'm sure there are studies on the influence of "pot" on human reasoning, ect.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Ever look at the pyramid of the American one dollar bill? Only the capstone can see the truth. Are you so certain that it can't be done?

Yeah, pretty much.

We're taught the globe as children, no? Did we question or? Did you? If so, what was the answer given?

I can't say I remember much from when I was five years old.

I created a fake Earth with aurora ring in Photoshop and posted it as a comment on Facebook. I said the photo was from NASA. However, what I also did was say I thought the photo was fake.

Guess what happened? People commented, telling me why this fake photo was real, explaining away the graphical issues with a variety of excuses.

Only a few actually tried to search it up on NASA's website. The rest? They kept telling me it was real. When I revealed that I had created it, the entire thread went silent, outside of a few insults.

I don't suppose you could link me to this thread? I'd love to read it. Do you still have the pic?

I also did another variation of the experiment with a lizard I superimposed on the surface of Mars. I declared that there was a lizard on Mars. Most told me it was a rock or bad lighting. Others frantically searched NASA's website for the image. The rest? They told me I hoaxes it and they were right.

That's nice. I don't much see how you're ability to fool a bunch of nameless people on the internet translates to much of anything, though.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't suppose you could link me to this thread? I'd love to read it. Do you still have the pic?

That's nice. I don't much see how you're ability to fool a bunch of nameless people on the internet translates to much of anything, though.

No, I deleted the account and everything was lost when I cleaned up my computer. Sorry. Furthermore, it was just an experiment I did and while it made me qask questions, i don't think it should singly be counted as any sort of proof of anything. I just thought it interesting to note.

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What does this have to do with it?

I was looking at it and thinking. I decided to make that public in the spirit of being transparent here. It's from Star Trek, isn't it?

Yes, I'm sure there are. What are marijuana's long-term effects on the brain?

I doubt you wanted this thread to be about drug abuse. But suffice it to say that drug abusers usually don't end up as scientists or engineers. They end up on the street.

I actually think pot shouldn't be legal, just decriminalized. However, last i checked, there are scientists who smoke it, just not while on shift. :tongueout:

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Flat Earth
It's NOT Ridiculous
___

Far too many people make assumptions about “Flat Earth”. Everything from the model to assuming the matter is closed for discussion. There was a reason Barack Obama once said, “we don't have time for a meeting of the Flat Earth Society”. While the obvious is that he was mocking those who deny human-caused climate change, he also highlighted the fact that determining Earth's shape would take more time than he cared to give .

Is the Earth flat? To determine the answer, it's necessary to consider why we believe the world is a sphere. Is it because boats disappear over the horizon? Because of a lunar eclipse? Because an experiment done long ago which few of us have repeated, says so? Perhaps it's because of NASA's Blue Marble or other similar images? Maybe it's because Americans went to the Moon? Perhaps you remember seeing the curve at a beach? On a commercial flight? Maybe you have a friend who's a pilot and he showed you high altitude footage? Because experts told you it was?? What's your reason or reasons for believing the world is a sphere?

If you have only one reason, how many other things are you this certain of, yet only have one reason to believe is true? For example, do you believe in Bigfoot? Space aliens? Psychic powers? Past life experiences? Near death experiences? Heaven? Hell? Angels? Demons? Giants? Ancient technology? Do people get abducted by space aliens? Is the government hiding space aliens? Ancient astronauts? What proof for any of this do you have?

Does Earth orbit the Sun or does the Sun orbit the Earth? Is the Earth solid with a molten core or is it hollow? Is there land on Earth, hidden from modern maps? Does Eden exist? Was Atlantis real? Was Jesus Christ resurrected from death? Is the Holy Grail real? Do Satanists or Luciferians rule the world? Are there world-wide elite pedophilia rings? Are chemtrails real? Is there a depopulation agenda?

I could go on listing things people believe in. However, I think you get the point. So… Why do you believe the world is a globe, orbiting the Sun? Can your reasons have other explanations than what you currently accept?
___

I'd like to clarify that this thread isn't intended to make or assert the validity of any claims. Instead, it's here to promote discussion, encourage people to question, and correct the incorrect assumption that "it's retarded to think the world is flat" or even to question if it is.

The fact is, people ARE questioning the shape of the world and they have good reasons to do so. While many will inevitably disagree, claiming this multitude of people are ALL poorly educated, (and maybe some, even many are), the fact remains that not ALL are. So... Let's look at why we believe what we do?
I'll preface this by saying that I have been looking into flat earth claims now for about a year.

To me, a spherical Earth is the best explanation for a plethora of physical phenomena we observe in our lives ...

Rising/setting sun

Seasons

Ships/Objects disappearing from the bottom up when traveling away from us

Photos from multiple sources

Newton's work

Galileo's work

Telescope images

GPS

Aircraft flight times in the Southern hemisphere

Appearance of the sun at various points during the day (i.e. no decrease in apparent size)

Coriolis effect on storm rotation

Weather photography/video

Testimony of Geodesists

Observing Soap bubbles

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was looking at it and thinking. I decided to make that public in the spirit of being transparent here. It's from Star Trek, isn't it?

Yes, it is. I'm more a fan of the "classic" series (the first 5 rather than the JJ Abrams versions).

BTW, I see A_Thinker has joined the discussion. From what I've seen of his writings on other related threads, he'll give you the best answers of anyone you'll find here. He's very knowledgeable.

• Friendly
Reactions: Zetetica
Upvote 0

sesquiterpene

Sep 14, 2018
USA
✟160,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I can't speak for all the FEs here but I can speak for myself and regarding two I've met here. We aren't trolls.

Furthermore, PLEASE provide evidence that all FEs have a below average intelligence quotient. Thanks. :blush:

I was actually thinking about editing my post to change "stupid" into either "silly" or "foolish" but I saw your post and decided to keep it. "gullible" and "paranoid" are two other adjectives i'd like to throw into the mix. As evidence I present to you the same threads that Aldebaran mentioned.

It certainly is possible to have an interesting discussion as to why people believe things so obviously false as Flat Earth, but you'd first need to comprehend why it is false. It doesn't look like you'll get to that point but there is always hope.

I think you have a point with Obama's speech, though: yes, not many people are going to spend their time with such nonsense. Obama himself was probably wise enough not to give it more than a moment's thought before rolling his eyes and moving on. I myself have unfortunately had a severe attack of SIWOTI these past few days. I do hope to get over it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'll preface this by saying that I have been looking into flat earth claims now for about a year.

To me, a spherical Earth is the best explanation for a plethora of physical phenomena we observe in our lives ...
First, thank you.

Rising/setting sun
Seasons
Ships/Objects disappearing from the bottom up when traveling away from us
Photos from multiple sources
Newton's work
Galileo's work
Telescope images
GPS
Aircraft flight times in the Southern hemisphere
Appearance of the sun at various points during the day (i.e. no decrease in apparent size)
Coriolis effect on storm rotation
Weather photography/video
Testimony of Geodesists
Observing Soap bubbles

1. Explainable. (Perspective/Atmosphere/EM bending)
  2. Explainable. (Local solar spiral)
  3. Explainable. (Perspective/Atmosphere/Wave stacking)
  4. Debatable. (Possible fraud)
  5. Needs research. (Assumptions)
  6. Needs research. (Assumptions)
  7. Unknown
  8. Needs research. (Land-based explanation/sateloons/aether suspension/magnetic locking)
  9. Plausible. (Common FE model fails/travel restrictions to determine land positions)
  10. Explainable. (Atmospheric lensing/EM fields)
  11. Needs research. (Unknown)
  12. Needs research. (Unknown)
  13. Plausible. (Needs research)
  14. Unknown. (Explain this?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, it is. I'm more a fan of the "classic" series (the first 5 rather than the JJ Abrams versions).

BTW, I see A_Thinker has joined the discussion. From what I've seen of his writings on other related threads, he'll give you the best answers of anyone you'll find here. He's very knowledgeable.
When I was into Star Trek, I preferred the original, Next Generation, and Voyager. I pretty much hated the others, especially Enterprise.

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was actually thinking about editing my post to change "stupid" into either "silly" or "foolish" but I saw your post and decided to keep it. "gullible" and "paranoid" are two other adjectives i'd like to throw into the mix. As evidence I present to you the same threads that Aldebaran mentioned.

It certainly is possible to have an interesting discussion as to why people believe things so obviously false as Flat Earth, but you'd first need to comprehend why it is false. It doesn't look like you'll get to that point but there is always hope.

I think you have a point with Obama's speech, though: yes, not many people are going to spend their time with such nonsense. Obama himself was probably wise enough not to give it more than a moment's thought before rolling his eyes and moving on. I myself have unfortunately had a severe attack of SIWOTI these past few days. I do hope to get over it.
Weird thing about Obama's mentioning it... He did so before FE was popular enough to be talked about on the evening news or admitted to be believed by a few celebrities. Isn't that strange?

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not likely because evidence is not the issue.
Seems it is the issue though, according to pretty much all FEs. Actually, I'm going to touch on something I think few FEs would dare...

It's not that there is an absence of evidence for the globe; there isn't. It's that the evidence can also work on a flat model, while other pieces of that evidence may be questionable (IE: NASA photos).

To give an example of something that I once thought was an indisputable globe proof: the assumption that "ships disappearing over the curve" can't be explained without a globe model. Yes, it can. That was one of the things which made me question my certainty in a spherical world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Seems it is the issue though, according to pretty much all FEs. Actually, I'm going to touch on something I think few FEs would dare...

It's not that there is an absence of evidence for the globe; there isn't. It's that the evidence can also work on a flat model, while other pieces of that evidence may be questionable (IE: NASA photos).

On a flat earth, why do objects weigh less the closer they get to the equator?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is the Earth flat?

No. We've known that for 2500 years.

To determine the answer, it's necessary to consider why we believe the world is a sphere. Is it because boats disappear over the horizon? Because of a lunar eclipse?

Originally, those two and the changes in star visibility with latitude.

Later, actual measurements of the planet.

The fact is, people ARE questioning the shape of the world and they have good reasons to do so.

Only very, very foolish people.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If it's a proven matter, why does the debate not end? A

Because, as a result of humanity's fallen nature, people are foolish, and some people more so than others. Mental illness is also a possibility in some cases.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.