Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Flat Earth
It's NOT Ridiculous
___

Far too many people make assumptions about “Flat Earth”. Everything from the model to assuming the matter is closed for discussion. There was a reason Barack Obama once said, “we don't have time for a meeting of the Flat Earth Society”. While the obvious is that he was mocking those who deny human-caused climate change, he also highlighted the fact that determining Earth's shape would take more time than he cared to give .

Is the Earth flat? To determine the answer, it's necessary to consider why we believe the world is a sphere. Is it because boats disappear over the horizon? Because of a lunar eclipse? Because an experiment done long ago which few of us have repeated, says so? Perhaps it's because of NASA's Blue Marble or other similar images? Maybe it's because Americans went to the Moon? Perhaps you remember seeing the curve at a beach? On a commercial flight? Maybe you have a friend who's a pilot and he showed you high altitude footage? Because experts told you it was?? What's your reason or reasons for believing the world is a sphere?

If you have only one reason, how many other things are you this certain of, yet only have one reason to believe is true? For example, do you believe in Bigfoot? Space aliens? Psychic powers? Past life experiences? Near death experiences? Heaven? Hell? Angels? Demons? Giants? Ancient technology? Do people get abducted by space aliens? Is the government hiding space aliens? Ancient astronauts? What proof for any of this do you have?

Does Earth orbit the Sun or does the Sun orbit the Earth? Is the Earth solid with a molten core or is it hollow? Is there land on Earth, hidden from modern maps? Does Eden exist? Was Atlantis real? Was Jesus Christ resurrected from death? Is the Holy Grail real? Do Satanists or Luciferians rule the world? Are there world-wide elite pedophilia rings? Are chemtrails real? Is there a depopulation agenda?

I could go on listing things people believe in. However, I think you get the point. So… Why do you believe the world is a globe, orbiting the Sun? Can your reasons have other explanations than what you currently accept?
___

I'd like to clarify that this thread isn't intended to make or assert the validity of any claims. Instead, it's here to promote discussion, encourage people to question, and correct the incorrect assumption that "it's ridiculous to think the world is flat" or even to question if it is.

The fact is, people ARE questioning the shape of the world and they have good reasons to do so. While many will inevitably disagree, claiming this multitude of people are ALL poorly educated, (and maybe some, even many are), the fact remains that not ALL are. So... Let's look at why we believe what we do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Very pc and appropriate title. Seriously, who uses that word anymore? Especially in genuine conversation...
I do, though not towards people. However, to clarify, I added the word because it's a word I hear and see used a lot, regarding the subject matter of this post.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Flat Earth
It's NOT Ridiculous

It's not true, though.

So… Why do you believe the world is a globe, orbiting the Sun?

Because my school science teachers and school science textbooks taught me that it is, and that the planets revolve around the sun. That is how we have night and day, and 24 hours in a day.
Because my husband is a scientist, and a Christian; he knows that this is so and it does not interfere with his faith.
Because I have heard scientists teach this, and they know what they are talking about.
Because man has been to the moon and sent back photos of the earth.
Because I don't know of anyone who has ever travelled to the edge of the world, looked over and/or fallen off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I should add, however, that I responded to this thread when I saw the title under "new threads".
We have a flat earth society where I live; I saw them in the street once. I am intrigued why anyone should believe that the earth IS flat, but I am no scientist and cannot debate it from a scientific view.

• Friendly
Reactions: Zetetica
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟329,323.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm still convinced that the flat Earth movement is primarily a giant troll job. It's just so ridiculous, especially when flat Earthers start talking about conspiracy theories in relation to flat Earth. It's like something out of a bad Dan Brown novel.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...so someone thinks the Earth is flat? I suspect if someone honestly believes it is, there's no way to show them it's not, simply because that's a matter of faith, not of reason. If this doesn't convince them nothing will:
if-the-earth-was-flat-cats-would-have-pushed-everything-21424991.png

tulc(rests his case) :wave:

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Okay... Why do YOU believe Earth is a sphere?
because a sphere is the best shape for balancing out gravity. This is why other planets and stars are spheres . Because day and night make no sense on a flat earth . Because it’s not possible to see the South Pole from New York . Because determining latitude by looking at Polaris works . It wouldn’t on a flat earth. Etc etc etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's not true, though,

Because my school science teachers and school science textbooks taught me that it is, and that the planets revolve around the sun. That is how we have night and day, and 24 hours in a day.

They could be wrong? Just because something is taught in schools, doesn't make it true. Don't you question what you were taught?

Because my husband is a scientist, and a Christian; he knows that this is so and it does not interfere with his faith.

That's relevant? Your husband could be wrong too. What field of science is he in?

Because I have heard scientists teach this, and they know what they are talking about.

They could be wrong and they often are. Do you question them?

Because man has been to the moon and sent back photos of the earth.

Are you certain that's true? If so, why?

Because I don't know of anyone who has ever travelled to the edge of the world, looked over and/or fallen off.

It's not allowed, is it? Furthermore, why assume there is an "edge" anyone could travel to? Have you done any research on the conditions in Antarctica? The international treaty? The massive barriers of ice?

A better question to ask is... "Is there an edge?"

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
because a sphere is the best shape for balancing out gravity. This is why other planets and stars are spheres . Because day and night make no sense on a flat earth . Because it’s not possible to see the South Pole from New York . Because determining latitude by looking at the Polaris works . It wouldn’t on a flat earth. Etc etc etc

Why assume gravity exists? That mass attracts mass, purely of itself and not due to any sort of magnetic force?

Do day and night make sense on a flat Earth? They can. Have you researched into it? Even just out of curiosity?

You can't see the South Pole or China, or any other ridiculously distant land from New York because ... We don't see infinitely far, atmospheric distortion, and simply how our eyes work (field of vision).

Determining latitude by Polaris isn't possible on a flat model? Why?

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They could be wrong? Just because something is taught in schools, doesn't make it true. Don't you question what you were taught?

That's relevant? Your husband could be wrong too. What field of science is he in?

They could be wrong and they often are. Do you question them?

Are you certain that's true? If so, why?

It's not allowed, is it? Furthermore, why assume there is an "edge" anyone could travel to? Have you done any research on the conditions in Antarctica? The international treaty? The massive barriers of ice?

A better question to ask is... "Is there an edge?"
See? :wave:
tulc(if facts mattered there wouldn't be any flat earthers) :sorry:

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I should add, however, that I responded to this thread when I saw the title under "new threads".
We have a flat earth society where I live; I saw them in the street once. I am intrigued why anyone should believe that the earth IS flat, but I am no scientist and cannot debate it from a scientific view.
Thank you for your honesty. :clap:

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...so someone thinks the Earth is flat? I suspect if someone honestly believes it is, there's no way to show them it's not, simply because that's a matter of faith, not of reason. If this doesn't convince them nothing will:
if-the-earth-was-flat-cats-would-have-pushed-everything-21424991.png

tulc(rests his case) :wave:

Mocking humor aside (not particularly Christian of you, by the way), it's not a matter of faith for all FEs. I'm certain they could be convinced with enough evidence.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.