United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Flat Earth
It's NOT Ridiculous
___

Far too many people make assumptions about “Flat Earth”. Everything from the model to assuming the matter is closed for discussion. There was a reason Barack Obama once said, “we don't have time for a meeting of the Flat Earth Society”. While the obvious is that he was mocking those who deny human-caused climate change, he also highlighted the fact that determining Earth's shape would take more time than he cared to give .

Is the Earth flat? To determine the answer, it's necessary to consider why we believe the world is a sphere. Is it because boats disappear over the horizon? Because of a lunar eclipse? Because an experiment done long ago which few of us have repeated, says so? Perhaps it's because of NASA's Blue Marble or other similar images? Maybe it's because Americans went to the Moon? Perhaps you remember seeing the curve at a beach? On a commercial flight? Maybe you have a friend who's a pilot and he showed you high altitude footage? Because experts told you it was?? What's your reason or reasons for believing the world is a sphere?

If you have only one reason, how many other things are you this certain of, yet only have one reason to believe is true? For example, do you believe in Bigfoot? Space aliens? Psychic powers? Past life experiences? Near death experiences? Heaven? Hell? Angels? Demons? Giants? Ancient technology? Do people get abducted by space aliens? Is the government hiding space aliens? Ancient astronauts? What proof for any of this do you have?

Does Earth orbit the Sun or does the Sun orbit the Earth? Is the Earth solid with a molten core or is it hollow? Is there land on Earth, hidden from modern maps? Does Eden exist? Was Atlantis real? Was Jesus Christ resurrected from death? Is the Holy Grail real? Do Satanists or Luciferians rule the world? Are there world-wide elite pedophilia rings? Are chemtrails real? Is there a depopulation agenda?

I could go on listing things people believe in. However, I think you get the point. So… Why do you believe the world is a globe, orbiting the Sun? Can your reasons have other explanations than what you currently accept?
___

I'd like to clarify that this thread isn't intended to make or assert the validity of any claims. Instead, it's here to promote discussion, encourage people to question, and correct the incorrect assumption that "it's retarded to think the world is flat" or even to question if it is.

The fact is, people ARE questioning the shape of the world and they have good reasons to do so. While many will inevitably disagree, claiming this multitude of people are ALL poorly educated, (and maybe some, even many are), the fact remains that not ALL are. So... Let's look at why we believe what we do?

Wish you the best. A lot of responses will just be personal attacks and opinions mistaken as facts.

I can guarantee they haven't looked into ant of this, for the most part, and will just search the Internet for reasons why you are wrong, and making assumptions what will and will not work on a flat earth. I've currently run out of patience dealing with people on this topic, so I wish you the patience and perseverance I no longer possess.

As for me, the tipping point was a physical measurement I witnessed well over a year ago that resulted in 28-feet of missing curve. The evidence has just been piling on ever since.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Zetetica
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mocking humor aside (not particularly Christian of you, by the way), it's not a matter of faith for all FEs. I'm certain they could be convinced with enough evidence.
No, they really wont be, until they decide to believe the facts. If simple facts worked, again, there wouldn't be any flat earthers. It really is that simple. :wave:
tulc(has dealt with subjects like this before, and is well aware of the difference between an article of faith and and a desire to know what's true) :sorry:

Upvote 0

sesquiterpene

Sep 14, 2018
USA
✟159,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Mocking humor aside (not particularly Christian of you, by the way), it's not a matter of faith for all FEs. I'm certain they could be convinced with enough evidence.

No. The FE's on this forum mostly simply declare that all evidence for the Spherical Earth is fake. I do think that most of them are trolls, which actually bothers me more than being so stupid as to believe the world is flat. What sort of person enjoys lying to such a degree?

Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wish you the best. A lot of responses will just be personal attacks and opinions mistaken as facts.

I can guarantee they haven't looked into ant of this, for the most part, and will just search the Internet for reasons why you are wrong, and making assumptions what will and will not work on a flat earth. I've currently run out of patience dealing with people on this topic, so I wish you the patience and perseverance I no longer possess.

As for me, the tipping point was a physical measurement I witnessed well over a year ago that resulted in 28-feet of missing curve. The evidence has just been piling on ever since.
Thank you for your response and I agree. I've long since hit the tipping point also.

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, they really wont be, until they decide to believe the facts. If simple facts worked, again, there wouldn't be any flat earthers. It really is that simple. :wave:
tulc(has dealt with subjects like this before, and is well aware of the difference between an article of faith and and a desire to know what's true) :sorry:

Many FEs I've known and know are seeking truth, period. They just want the facts, not theories, assumptions, or space illustrations.

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. The FE's on this forum mostly simply declare that all evidence for the Spherical Earth is fake. I do think that most of them are trolls, which actually bothers me more than being so stupid as to believe the world is flat. What sort of person enjoys lying to such a degree?
I can't speak for all the FEs here but I can speak for myself and regarding two I've met here. We aren't trolls.

Furthermore, PLEASE provide evidence that all FEs have a below average intelligence quotient. Thanks. :blush:

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟649,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Terrible assumption. I can assure you, facts matter to nearly ALL FEs.

You seriously should read all the very lengthy and already existing threads on this topic. The reasons for both sides have been laid out by many different people hundreds of times already, and have resulted in circular arguments enough times to make a person dizzy. Here's a small sampling of them:

Flat Earth, NASA, NWO, Moon Landings and More . . .

Is the Earth flat or round???

Timelapse of the sun proves flat earth

There IS no gravity.

Scientists discover the firmament (dome)?

A question for flat earth people

Space suits... the "nail" in the coffin?

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You seriously should read all the very lengthy and already existing threads on this topic. The reasons for both sides have been laid out by many different people hundreds of times already, and have resulted in circular arguments enough times to make a person dizzy. Here's a small sampling of them:

Flat Earth, NASA, NWO, Moon Landings and More . . .

Is the Earth flat or round???

Timelapse of the sun proves flat earth

There IS no gravity.

Scientists discover the firmament (dome)?

A question for flat earth people

Space suits... the "nail" in the coffin?
Yes, the debate goes round. Why though? If it's a proven matter, why does the debate not end? Again, I'm reminded of Barack Obama's speech on the matter. Do we have time for such a debate? Is the matter settled? Can we blame anyone for questioning or believing this, considered the active ongoing debate?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, the debate goes round. Why though? If it's a proven matter, why does the debate not end? Again, I'm reminded of Barack Obama's speech on the matter. Do we have time for such a debate? Is the matter settled? Can we blame anyone for questioning or believing this, considered the active ongoing debate?

Obama actually entertained this idea? This is the first I've heard of that. Did he actually question it?

From what I've seen in the threads I posted links to and also participated in, the FE side usually resorts to mocking and saying that those who believe the earth is a globe are just repeating what they've been "brainwashed" to believe, while they themselves often post Youtube videos by guys who are sometimes smoking pot while making their video about how all the satellite companies, aerospace launch companies, NASA, airline pilots, scientists, and even the space agencies of every other country is in on some conspiracy to make people believe the earth is round in order to make us think aliens can come and visit us and are actually demons. The same people often subscribe to pretty much any other conspiracy theory as well, including the JFK assasination, the 9/11 attack, drugs, radiation, gravity--you name it. It seems to be a "conspiracy mindset" based on paranoia.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
What's your reason or reasons for believing the world is a sphere?

A preponderance of evidence, combined with the utter ridiculous lengths it would take to hide the Earth's shape from the whole of humanity and the lack of good reason to do so in the first place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Obama actually entertained this idea? This is the first I've heard of that. Did he actually question it?

From what I've seen in the threads I posted links to and also participated in, the FE side usually resorts to mocking and saying that those who believe the earth is a globe are just repeating what they've been "brainwashed" to believe, while they themselves often post Youtube videos by guys who are sometimes smoking pot while making their video about how all the satellite companies, aerospace launch companies, NASA, airline pilots, scientists, and even the space agencies of every other country is in on some conspiracy to make people believe the earth is round in order to make us think aliens can come and visit us and are actually demons. The same people often subscribe to pretty much any other conspiracy theory as well, including the JFK assasination, the 9/11 attack, drugs, radiation, gravity--you name it. It seems to be a "conspiracy mindset" based on paranoia.

I don't know if Obama entertained FE. However, he brought it up a few times, generally to mock ThisThis who deny human-caused climate change.

As for the FE videos by those "smoking pot", while I personally am repulsed by the substance as well as watching anyone partake of it, I'd like to see evidence that smoking pot should factor into someone's lack of credibility? Lack of intelligence? Lack of reason?

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A preponderance of evidence, combined with the utter ridiculous lengths it would take to hide the Earth's shape from the whole of humanity and the lack of good reason to do so in the first place.
How difficult would hiding Earth's shape from humanity actually be? Think about it?

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why assume gravity exists? That mass attracts mass, purely of itself and not due to any sort of magnetic force?

Do day and night make sense on a flat Earth? They can. Have you researched into it? Even just out of curiosity?

You can't see the South Pole or China, or any other ridiculously distant land from New York because ... We don't see infinitely far, atmospheric distortion, and simply how our eyes work (field of vision).

Determining latitude by Polaris isn't possible on a flat model? Why?
I live in NYC and all I have to do if I want to find Polaris is to face north and do a sort of Hitler salute because nyc is at about40N . If I was further south that wouldnt work as Polaris would be at a different angle nearer the horizon and at the North Pole Polaris would be right over head . On a flat earth I would be able to see Polaris from South America which isn’t possible on a sphere . Nor can I see the southern hemisphere stars from New York ( I wish the earth was flat as I’d be able to see alpha Centauri from my house ).

Gravity is the bending of spacetime around mass . Honestly we don’t know why that happens but it does . You can demonstrate part of that gravity well by dropping a rock ( preferably not on your foot )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if Obama entertained FE. However, he brought it up a few times, generally to mock ThisThis who deny human-caused climate change.

As for the FE videos by those "smoking pot", while I personally am repulsed by the substance as well as watching anyone partake of it, I'd like to see evidence that smoking pot should factor into someone's lack of credibility? Lack of intelligence? Lack of reason?

Using a mind-altering substance usually results in altered reasoning.

• Haha
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker

Because human beings suck at keeping secrets, they suck more and more when they include more and more people, governments are especially bad at keeping secrets, and in order to keep the shape of the Earth secret, they would have to include lots of people in just about every government on the planet.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.