Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
@Messenger 3k
It might be worth your while to take a step back and consider these points:

1. Presumably you wish to communicate your ideas/beliefs clearly, else why even bother posting.
2. Several members have pointed out that your writing is ambiguous. This conflicts with your presumed desire to be understood.
3. Rather than accept this weakness in your posts you deny it exists. That's not very sensible. It's counterproductive.
4. The mature response would be for you to accept the unpalatable fact that you messed up, regroup and try to do better in future. The only person losing from your current attitude is yourself.

Now, deep breath. Step back. Contemplate. Change behaviour.

Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@Messenger 3k
It might be worth your while to take a step back and consider these points:

1. Presumably you wish to communicate your ideas/beliefs clearly, else why even bother posting.
2. Several members have pointed out that your writing is ambiguous. This conflicts with your presumed desire to be understood.
3. Rather than accept this weakness in your posts you deny it exists. That's not very sensible. It's counterproductive.
4. The mature response would be for you to accept the unpalatable fact that you messed up, regroup and try to do better in future. The only person losing from your current attitude is yourself.

Now, deep breath. Step back. Contemplate. Change behaviour.

I'll pass. :)

Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your disinterest in getting your ideas across is duly noted. I'll try to remember to avoid your posts in future.

Your evasive habit of meandering around non issues is duly noted.

I'll always look out for that when I come across your posts henceforth.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Meandering on non issues cannot be mistaken for concrete argument.

Just to meander back to the topic after all that pointless semantics quibbling, is it your position that the Earth is not a globe, but rather a convex disk, like a humongous frisbee? If so, does gravity work the way we think it does? And if gravity doesn't work the way we think it does, why doesn't the water level off instead of matching the convex shape?

Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just to meander back to the topic after all that pointless semantics quibbling, is it your position that the Earth is not a globe, but rather a convex disk, like a humongous frisbee?

Yes. But not in the exact curvature of a frisbee. More like the curvature of a (tea cup) saucer turn upside down...or a convex lens.

I hope you get the idea.

However, details of the exact degree of curvature would be speculative.

If so, does gravity work the way we think it does?

Good question. To which the answer, I think, is yes. Seeing as water bodies bend to its curvature to form a horizon.

Job 26:10,

He marks out the horizon on the face of the waters for a boundary between light and darkness. (NIV)

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
The word Isaiah used means sphere. It may not be a perfect ball, but it is a sphere. He wrote that a thousand years before the intellectuals of Alexandria proposed that it was a sphere.

Both your science and your history are wrong. Isaiah 40:22 is part of Deutero-Isaiah, which was written about 560-540 BC - Book of Isaiah - Wikipedia.

Aristotle (384-322 BC) presented the evidence that the Earth is a sphere before Alexander the Great conquered Egypt and founded Alexandria, and only about 200 years after the time of Deutero-Isaiah. Eratosthenes (ca.276-ca. 194 BC), who was one of the 'intellectuals of Alexandria', measured the circumference of the Earth during the 3rd century BC, at most 360 years after Deutero-Isaiah.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Both your science and your history are wrong. Isaiah 40:22 is part of Deutero-Isaiah, which was written about 560-540 BC - Book of Isaiah - Wikipedia.

Aristotle (384-322 BC) presented the evidence that the Earth is a sphere before Alexander the Great conquered Egypt and founded Alexandria, and only about 200 years after the time of Deutero-Isaiah. Eratosthenes (ca.276-ca. 194 BC), who was one of the 'intellectuals of Alexandria', measured the circumference of the Earth during the 3rd century BC, at most 360 years after Deutero-Isaiah.

Ok. My bad.

• Friendly
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Yes. But not in the exact curvature of a frisbee. More like the curvature of a (tea cup) saucer turn upside down...or a convex lens.

I hope you get the idea.

However, details of the exact degree of curvature would be speculative.

Good question. To which the answer, I think, is yes. Seeing as water bodies bend to its curvature to form a horizon.

Job 26:10,

He marks out the horizon on the face of the waters for a boundary between light and darkness. (NIV)

Thanks, that's a tricky but interesting concept. First time I've heard someone propose a convex disk Earth. I'll have to ponder the physical ramifications.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Actually, it doesn't. The Bible uses several descriptive words for the earth ... and none of them is "flat".
The Isaiah verse cited does imply flat. The Bible only describes the Earth as flat in word and deed. It never implies a sphere. That is does not specifically say "flat" is nitpicking.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, that's a tricky but interesting concept. First time I've heard someone propose a convex disk Earth. I'll have to ponder the physical ramifications.
It gets quite a bit more complicated. One huge problem is that of gravity. How does it work? Another significant problem is explaining the direction of the Southern Cross from various locales in the Southern Hemisphere. But then believers in a flat Earth contradict themselves when it comes to Polaris.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
It gets quite a bit more complicated. One huge problem is that of gravity. How does it work?

Magic from God, of course. The same magic that keeps the air from spilling out, and keeps us from finding the edge of the disk.

;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Isaiah verse cited does imply flat. The Bible only describes the Earth as flat in word and deed. It never implies a sphere. That is does not specifically say "flat" is nitpicking.
It never implies a flat earth either. Very little in the Bible is a commentary on any spatial issues. The Bible is much more concerned with human issues.

I've had these discussions with the Flat Earthers. The scriptures describe the surface level experiences of humans on earth ... plains, mountains, deserts, skies, seas, lakes, etc.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0