New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The word Isaiah used means sphere. It may not be a perfect ball, but it is a sphere.

If you're referring to Isaiah 40:22, the word circle there is used to imply circumference, used in the context of an arc or horizon.

Other versions with the proper rendering use the word disk.

Isaiah 40:22,

He's the one who sits above the disk of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers...(ISV)

Read the Book of Enoch? One version uses the word disk the other uses circumference implying an arc or convex horizon.

As expected, both extremes have erroneously interpreted circle to mean an actual circle (flat earth) or a sphere (globe earth), but as usual, the truth lies in the middle so that other versions of scripture put it more explicitly:

"It is God Who sits above the circle (the horizon) of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers..."(AMPC)

Then again,

"He is the one who sits on the earth’s horizon; its inhabitants are like grasshoppers before him..."(NET)

The earth is exactly as you see it when flying in the sky: a convex plane.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If you're referring to Isaiah 40:22, the word circle there is used to imply circumference, used in the context of an arc or horizon.

Other versions with the proper rendering use the word disk.

Isaiah 40:22,

He's the one who sits above the disk of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers...(ISV)

Read the Book of Enoch? One version uses the word disk the other uses circumference implying an arc or convex horizon.

As expected, both extremes have erroneously interpreted circle to mean an actual circle (flat earth) or a sphere (globe earth), but as usual, the truth lies in the middle so that other versions of scripture put it more explicitly:

"It is God Who sits above the circle (the horizon) of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers..."(AMPC)

Then again,

"He is the one who sits on the earth’s horizon; its inhabitants are like grasshoppers before him..."(NET)

The earth is exactly as you see it when flying in the sky: a convex plane.

An inscribed circle, as with a compass is more accurate. And yes, if one interprets the Bible extremely literally it does describe the Earth as flat. Since we know from countless sources that this is not so that only tells us that it is an error to interpret the Bible extremely literally.

Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
An inscribed circle, as with a compass is more accurate. And yes, if one interprets the Bible extremely literally it does describe the Earth as flat. Since we know from countless sources that this is not so that only tells us that it is an error to interpret the Bible extremely literally.

There's no rule of thumb to interpreting scriptures. The key is to let the Holy Spirit teach you.

The writers of scripture weren't going about with compasses like architects. Neither did they have knowledge of advanced geometry.

The word circle was an elementary description of curvature as observed by them, implying horizon.

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The definition of plane is 'a flat or level surface', i.e. two-dimensional.

Plane (noun)
A level of existence or development. e.g. he lived on a worldly plane.

That's the plane I'm referring to.

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, it doesn't. The Bible uses several descriptive words for the earth ... and none of them is "flat".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Plane (noun)
A level of existence or development. e.g. he lived on a worldly plane.

That's the plane I'm referring to.
That's an esoteric plane; convexity or concavity make even less sense in that context.

Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's an esoteric plane; convexity or concavity make even less sense in that context.

Not according to the dictionary, sorry.

A plane is a plane. Physical or spiritual, it is a level on which living entities reside. The plane on which we dwell is referred to as earth.

Not the mathematical plane of cartesian coordinates x, y, z which you seem to be confusing it for.

It does appear as though you've chosen to ignore the core point of my post and argue over trivial semantics.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,689.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
It does appear as though you've chosen to ignore the core point of my post and argue over trivial semantics.
Semantics is rarely trivial, unless you favour writing sentences devoid of meaning, or loaded with turgid ambiguity.

Context is very important in directing the reader to the intended meaning of those words with multiple meanings. In this respect, the conventional approach is to use the phrase "Earthly plane" when speaking of "levels". It would also be important to avoid coupling it with terms such as convexity that would indicate a geometrical sense of the word.

In short, if you ignore conventional English usage you can expect conversation to get sidetracked to nobody's benefit.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Not according to the dictionary, sorry.

A plane is a plane. Physical or spiritual, it is a level on which living entities reside.
That usage typically refers to an esoteric plane; one of the 'planes of existence' of esoteric cosmology.

Not the mathematical plane of cartesian coordinates x, y, z which you seem to be confusing it for.
My bad, I should have known you meant a 'convex level of existence' o_O

Yeah, it's a flaw many of us with a science background share with linguists - we get pedantic when bored ;)

Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Semantics is rarely trivial, unless you favour writing sentences devoid of meaning, or loaded with turgid ambiguity.

Context is very important in directing the reader to the intended meaning of those words with multiple meanings. In this respect, the conventional approach is to use the phrase "Earthly plane" when speaking of "levels". It would also be important to avoid coupling it with terms such as convexity that would indicate a geometrical sense of the word.

In short, if you ignore conventional English usage you can expect conversation to get sidetracked to nobody's benefit.

Sigh.

Now I'm convinced you're being evasive.
Screenshot_2020-01-02-16-59-13_1.jpg

Seen above?

I'm referring to 3.

You're referring to 2.

Notice how 3 is not restricted to any shape in particular?

The word level is more relative than it is descriptive of shape.

"A level of existence..."

Indicating other levels beyond it, e.g. the heavenly planes; first heaven, second heaven, third heaven.

Going beyond this would be delving into mysteries.

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That usage typically refers to an esoteric plane; one of the 'planes of existence' of esoteric cosmology.

My bad, I should have known you meant a 'convex level of existence' o_O

Yeah, it's a flaw many of us with a science background share with linguists - we get pedantic when bored ;)

Fair enough. :)

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,689.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Sigh.

Now I'm convinced you're being evasive.
View attachment 269533

Seen above?

I'm referring to 3.

You're referring to 2.

Notice how 3 is not restricted to any shape in particular?

The word level is more relative than it is descriptive of shape.

"A level of existence..."

Indicating other levels beyond it, e.g. the heavenly planes; first heaven, second heaven, third heaven.

Going beyond this would be delving into mysteries.
A. This is my first post directed at you in this thread, so I am at a loss as to why you would think I was being evasive.
B. I made reference to both 2 and 3.
C. By introducing the geometrical term "convexity" you implied you were using definition 2. By failing to follow convention and use the phrase "Earthly plane" you compounded that implication.
D. To repeat, your post was ambiguous. Your choice of words and syntax were sloppy, creating ambiguity. If you don't improve your writing, further confusion will follow. Your choice.

Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is my first post directed at you in this thread, so I am at a loss as to why you would think I was being evasive.

Obviously because you were still focused on trivial semantics (yes, trivial).

By failing to follow convention and use the phrase "Earthly plane" you compounded that implication.

Lol. Dude. Seriously? What could I have been referring to at first, heavenly plane?

We're discussing flat earth not flat heaven.

To repeat, your post was ambiguous. Your choice of words and syntax were sloppy, creating ambiguity. If you don't improve your writing, further confusion will follow. Your choice.

Hahahaha...that's all I have to say.

Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is our point....

You all have no point.

Meandering on non issues cannot be mistaken for concrete argument.

your definition #3 of plane is ALSO not intended to be descriptive of shape

I gave no definition, the dictionary did. I only said the plane (in my description) is convex.

A plane of existence could be curved or flat.

There are no shape specifics as far as the dictionary definition is concerned.

Upvote 0