• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Firefighter says city allowed racism to persist at Lansing Fire Department

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SummerMadness, Jan 28, 2019.

1. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+7,108
    Christian
    Firefighter says city allowed racism to persist at Lansing Fire Department

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,435
    Christian
    Single
  3. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+4,408
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Its a shame that cowardice pairs so easily with hate.

4. Gigimo

Gigimo Well-Known Member

+716
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    My first thought is he/she was wearing a MAGA hat since Tea Party hats are out of fashion nowadays, but I could be mistaken. :scratch:

5. Kenny'sID

+4,435
    Christian
    Single
    I'm guessing they could, and should fire whoever did it, but what can they do if they can't find them? So in this case are they truly allowing racism?

6. SummerMadness

+7,108
    Christian
    It was not one incident, it was ongoing harassment punctuated by the banana incident.

7. Kenny'sID

+4,435
    Christian
    Single
    Do they know who did any of it?

8. Gigimo

Gigimo Well-Known Member

+716
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Without knowing who did it they really can't do anything other than insinuate.

9. Kenny'sID

+4,435
    Christian
    Single
    Exactly, the very reason I ask, who done it? Not sure what they expect to be done if the guiltily parties are not known, so why blame the Fire dept?

10. Gigimo

Gigimo Well-Known Member

+716
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    To see if they can get money from them.

"Money for nothin' and the chicks for free" - The Dire Straits

11. SummerMadness

+7,108
    Christian
    Who did what? The firefighter was harassed multiple times, nothing was done after he complained, and the harassment escalated. It seems pretty clear why the fire department was blamed. They had issues with escalating harassment and did nothing about it.

12. Kenny'sID

+4,435
    Christian
    Single
    You never answered if we know who did it? For all we know the harassment you mention was similar to the banana, and no one saw who did it...was it or was it not?

13. SummerMadness

+7,108
    Christian
    That's an irrelevant question. If the harassment continued and escalated even after complaints, then the department did nothing to protect one of its workers from racial discrimination. But we all know this concern is all a red herring, especially with the "for all we know" line. For all we know these acts could have been committed by people dressed up as employees, but they really weren't members of the fire department!

14. Gigimo

Gigimo Well-Known Member

+716
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    So how can they/you proclaim it to be racism without rock solid proof as to who/what/when/why/where?

So what if it was another brother who placed the banana there as a joke? Or maybe he did it himself and/or maybe it never happened at all? (This reminds me of the Jussie Smollett story).

The article seems to be concluding/proclaiming it was someone white or other non-black individual and with racial intent, but doesn't provide any real proof that this is the case. In essence they can't/aren't providing the proof that their "story" is true.

Since facts seem to be largely lacking most folks would come to the conclusion the story is nothing more than a hoax, propaganda and/or race baiting.

15. SummerMadness

+7,108
    Christian
    I can see how someone could come to that conclusion if they didn't read the article and/or understand the case. I could also understand the attitude of those that attempt to call all racist attacks hoaxes despite there being no evidence of it being a hoax and that hoaxes for these types of incidents are no higher than other crimes. Some people live in denial, and allusions to hoaxes is one simply telling on themselves.

16. Gigimo

Gigimo Well-Known Member

+716
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I've read the article and it has big holes in it like no facts only insinuation.

MLK and Malcolm X must be rolling in their graves.

17. SummerMadness

+7,108
    Christian
    Just because you say there are big holes does not mean there are big holes. This is a tactic used when one cannot dispute the case, but simply want to dismiss it.

18. Gigimo

Gigimo Well-Known Member

+716
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I have a question, does wanting to get the last word in make the argument seem more credible??

19. Kenny'sID

+4,435
    Christian
    Single
    The "For all we know" was directed at you and meant you aren't/are you telling us everything, and followed by the question, do we know who did it, nothing more...a question you still haven answered after my posing it generally, I believe, 3 times already.

20. SummerMadness

+7,108
    Christian
    Still an irrelevant question.