SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
New York City to Ban Discrimination Based on Hair
Under new guidelines to be released this week by the New York City Commission on Human Rights, the targeting of people based on their hair or hairstyle, at work, school or in public spaces, will now be considered racial discrimination.

The change in law applies to anyone in New York City but is aimed at remedying the disparate treatment of black people; the guidelines specifically mention the right of New Yorkers to maintain their "natural hair, treated or untreated hairstyles such as locs, cornrows, twists, braids, Bantu knots, fades, Afros, and/or the right to keep hair in an uncut or untrimmed state."

People should be able to have protective hairstyles without harassment.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am against that law.

No one with a mullet should or a white person with a Mohawk should be allowed ... anywhere. Do we REALLY want people looking like this?

upload_2019-2-19_13-39-12.jpeg
images

images

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,918.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Remember the young man that was a wrestler was humiliated by having his dreds cut on the mat? For some reason they especially hate dred locs.
I was in wrestling in high school for one year (not very good at it)

But any hair over 1/2 inch should not be allowed on wrestling mats as it makes an easy grab for twisting someone's head around.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,918.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

But any hair over 1/2 inch should not be allowed on wrestling mats as it makes an easy grab for twisting someone's head around.
There are regulation head coverings for wrestlers in high school but the young man in question was not allowed to utilize his.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What are honk-rows?
The closest a honkey can come to having an afro.

upload_2019-2-19_13-56-7.jpeg

Some whites look ok with that style, but 90% do not.

SHAVE IT OFF ALREADY!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are regulation head coverings for wrestlers in high school but the young man in question was not allowed to utilize his.
Well, head coverings can be grabbed too.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sneaky move. Make it all legal to remove it's use as a form of protest. ♪
Well in my generation "long hair" was at first considered a protest (1960s) but within 5 years it was just "the style." No protest value at all. Then there were the punk styles of the 70s and early 80s. Again, they became just a style.

So hair as a protest platform has a very short shelf life.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The closest a honkey can come to having an afro.

View attachment 251639

Some whites look ok with that style, but 90% do not.

SHAVE IT OFF ALREADY!!!
Growing up, there were a few kids that had hair like that. I grew up in a town that is about 25% Jewish and the Jewish kids called it a "Jew-fro." But I think people can rock a Bob Ross if they want, it's all in how you carry yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Growing up, there were a few kids that had hair like that. I grew up in a town that is about 25% Jewish and the Jewish kids called it a "Jew-fro." But I think people can rock a Bob Ross if they want, it's all in how you carry yourself.
I only knew one "white guy" who carried that style off well. He is Jewish and I think he was the one that called it a honk-row.

Still a good friend and running a wonderful aid organization in Israel.

A guy in my highschool had such wirey hair that anything over a quarter inch long started looking like that.

We all called him "Brillo Pad."

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Well in my generation "long hair" was at first considered a protest (1960s) but within 5 years it was just "the style." No protest value at all. Then there were the punk styles of the 70s and early 80s. Again, they became just a style.

So hair as a protest platform has a very short shelf life.
I would say the Afro and dreadlocks were first seen as a protest, but they really weren't as much as African Americans were moving away from Eurocentric styles of hair. Especially for women, the idea that a woman must have straight hair was long considered the only "professional" hairstyle. Looking at my mother's generation and mine, things have come a long way. When my mother was working, she refused to relax her hair (relaxer damages your hair), so she wore a wig instead. The crazy thing to me was that she had long beautiful hair, but it was deemed unprofessional in the work setting. Restrictions on hair have little to do with professionalism (or removing class distinction as some schools have alluded to), and have often been simple discrimination, especially when it comes to girls and braids.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,918.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I only knew one "white guy" who carried that style off well. He is Jewish and I think he was the one that called it a honk-row.

Still a good friend and running a wonderful aid organization in Israel.

A guy in my highschool had such wirey hair that anything over a quarter inch long started looking like that.

We all called him "Brillo Pad."
There was a guy in my high school that was nicknamed Brillo because he had hair like that. He opened a club and named it Brillo's. ^_^

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,918.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would say the Afro and dreadlocks were first seen as a protest, but they really weren't as much as African Americans were moving away from Eurocentric styles of hair. Especially for women, the idea that a woman must have straight hair was long considered the only "professional" hairstyle. Looking at my mother's generation and mine, things have come a long way. When my mother was working, she refused to relax her hair (relaxer damages your hair), so she wore a wig instead. The crazy thing to me was that she had long beautiful hair, but it was deemed unprofessional in the work setting. Restrictions on hair have little to do with professionalism (or removing class distinction as some schools have alluded to), and have often been simple discrimination, especially when it comes to girls and braids.
Yeah, that is the way t was when I was growing up. I wore an afro in high school, In college wore wigs. I have only worn dreads for about the last 13 years.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Wouldn't that be an illegal move for wrestling?

Upvote 0