Not open for further replies.

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
If hell exists, I'm sure there's a special spot for people like this.

I am strangely of two minds on that one. In the end, my grandmother probably found a lot of peace and satisfaction from donating to Oral Roberts. It wasn't like she was expecting to get a piece of merchandise, or part of a Nigerian prince's inheritance. She got exactly what she expected to get, a belief that she was helping someone.

I guess I look at it like gambling. There is no secret that the odds are stacked against you, and you will lose your money in the long run. Still, many people find enjoyment out of a game that they are designed to lose.

Reactions: Goonie
Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I am strangely of two minds on that one. In the end, my grandmother probably found a lot of peace and satisfaction from donating to Oral Roberts. It wasn't like she was expecting to get a piece of merchandise, or part of a Nigerian prince's inheritance. She got exactly what she expected to get, a belief that she was helping someone.

I guess I look at it like gambling. There is no secret that the odds are stacked against you, and you will lose your money in the long run. Still, many people find enjoyment out of a game that they are designed to lose.
You have a point there. It's the behavior of the evangelicals that preys on those who are genuinely wanting to support a worthy cause.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Apparently Kent's charges have been dismissed.

You're confused. His tax evasion charges have not been dismissed.

Kent Hovind is a good example of the government and "powers that be" trying to silence the exposing of the TOE for what it is, and the persecution that anyone will face, if they publicly contradict this hoax AND spread the good news of the gospel and the truth of creation.

There's so much laughably wrong about this sentence it hard to pick the most egregious part.

The "structuring" charge is meant to catch drug dealers and money launderers.

Tell that to Denny Hastert.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know what country you're from, but for the record, we had the government taking money out of our pockets to fund science's SETI project -- not to mention funding NASA.

So I really don't want to hear it about you guys being shystered by con men.

How does it feel?

At least your grandmother had a chance to say, "No, thanks."

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟590,115.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I don't know what country you're from, but for the record, we had the government taking money out of our pockets to fund science's SETI project -- not to mention funding NASA.

So I really don't want to hear it about you guys being shystered by con men.

How does it feel?

At least your grandmother had a chance to say, "No, thanks."
Frankly, you'd all be better off funding SETI and NASA than your endless flaming wars.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If man can create his universes with age why would it be a problem with God doing even more in His creation?

Sure. But then accept that the false history shows what scientists say they observe.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sure. But then accept that the false history shows what scientists say they observe.
False history = false history.

Correct it and move on.

It's not like they haven't been wrong before.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Again, I have to ask.

What is this fixation* with Kent Hovind?

* For those who can't handle that word, use "fascination."

Because it's hard to understand how presumably (albeit not apparently) rational people can make the claim (as several people have done in this thread) that Hovind was not convicted of not paying taxes owed the government when he was convicted of not paying taxes owed the government. It's like a terrible scab, and I have to scratch at it, even though it provides no relief, just greater irritation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
that is just more lies and accusations , and proof is his charges have been dismissed and he did more than 10 years for bogus charges by liberals and liars and real thieves and lawlessness . now there isn't anything new under the sun.

People like you really amaze me. Do you seriously believe the world is like this?

Do you really think the government conspired to put Kent Hovind away just because he spoke out against evolution? He is not the first person to do that, he wasn't the last, and he wasn't even the most competent. There are plenty of people who do what he did, and quite frankly, were much better at it and more successful, and none of them just got thrown in jail on trumped Ken Ham and Ray Comfort both own businesses that rack in millions of dollars each year.Kent wishes he had that kind of bank.

And, again, his son has been continuing his work unmolested since he went to jail. They sent Kent to jail to silence him...then let his son continue speaking for him. What?

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's the same kind of fixation all the other cult leaders generate, people keep wondering what they will do next, he might even reopen that diploma mill where he bought his fake degree or even set up a new one, it would be a sensible move because he could then surround himself with lots of those doctorates the creationists love so much.

I think creationism will die even quicker with him leading the charge, he will come out smelling of money so he won't be too upset, at least he will be a smarter tax payer in the future.
He will be making enough money to keep him and the tax man happy, give him a month then watch him go.
He does not have a fake degree. There is a difference between non accredited correspondence schools and fake degrees.

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then they're entitled to their opinions, and you're certainly entitled to parrot them.Are you anxious for them to do so, so you'll know if he is or not?I don't know.

Do they?
Hovind could not keep his mouth shut.

NIV prov 17:2

Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you really think the government conspired to put Kent Hovind away just because he spoke out against evolution?
Lots of people are in jail that would not be there if they had used their right to remain silent and their right not to incriminate themselves.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.