Eternal Security

KaylaHansa

Aug 19, 2013
✟15,157.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I didn't read through this whole thread because there are too much pages, so someone may have already brought this up, but how about James 5:19-20? I just read it today:

"19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins."

It says that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death. Which means the person, who wandered from the truth (meaning he had truth before), was on his way to losing his soul.

I can't think of any other explanation...

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I didn't read through this whole thread because there are too much pages, so someone may have already brought this up, but how about James 5:19-20? I just read it today:

"19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins."

It says that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death. Which means the person, who wandered from the truth (meaning he had truth before), was on his way to losing his soul.

Kayla,

That verse from James is harmonious with Hebrews 6:4-6:
4 For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt (ESV, emphasis added).
Oz

Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I can, he is not talking about a Christian, but one who needs to be converted just as the scripture says, James 5:20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins. Just as James used the word in James 1:21 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. Throughout all of scripture you will not find the Holy Spirit inspiring the saints to be addressed as sinners. The sinners are always lost, separated from God in need of being saved. Check for yourself, here are several to demonstrate the point; Pro 11:31 If the righteous will be recompensed on the earth, How much more the ungodly and the sinner.
Pro 13:6 Righteousness guards him whose way is blameless, But wickedness overthrows the sinner. Matt 9:13 But go and learn what this means: "I desire mercy and not sacrifice." For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance." Luke 15:7 I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance. Luke 15:10
Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

Upvote 0

KaylaHansa

Aug 19, 2013
✟15,157.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I can, he is not talking about a Christian, but one who needs to be converted just as the scripture says, James 5:20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins. Just as James used the word in James 1:21 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. Throughout all of scripture you will not find the Holy Spirit inspiring the saints to be addressed as sinners. The sinners are always lost, separated from God in need of being saved. Check for yourself, here are several to demonstrate the point; Pro 11:31 If the righteous will be recompensed on the earth, How much more the ungodly and the sinner.
Pro 13:6 Righteousness guards him whose way is blameless, But wickedness overthrows the sinner. Matt 9:13 But go and learn what this means: "I desire mercy and not sacrifice." For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance." Luke 15:7 I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance. Luke 15:10
Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents

But the verse says "if any wanders from the truth", implying that they once had truth. You cannot wander away from a place you were never at.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
iwb,

The problem I see with your interpretation is that it is talking about Christian. Take a read of the first 4 verses of the book:
James, a servant[a] of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion:
Greetings.
2 Count it all joy, my brothers [better translated as brothers & sisters],[b] when you meet trials of various kinds, 3 for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. 4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing (ESV, emphasis added).
This book is addressed to brothers and sisters in Christ. this is also affirmed in the verses before 5:20, James 5:19 which reads
My brothers [and sisters], if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back (ESV, emphasis added).
It is straining at a gnat to try to make this refer to the non-converted. The context of the whole book of James and 5:19 refutes that view.

One warning of the danger of believers falling away would be enough to refute absolute eternal security. But we have it in passages such as 2 Thess 2:3; 1 Tim. 1:19; Heb 6:4-6; James 5:20. It's too late to try to convince me of eternal security as these verses refute such a view.

Oz

Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents

Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But the verse says "if any wanders from the truth", implying that they once had truth. You cannot wander away from a place you were never at.

That would depend on the place that the context is talking about. If they are those in their midst that have heard the good news and have not received it into their hearts, they had the truth presented unto them but they wander away from that truth by refusing to apply it. Besides that, how about all those verses I showed you where only the lost are called sinners and James using the same phrase earlier talking about getting saved. The scripture cannot be right in one place and be wrong in another, they must walk hand in hand. I can agree to disagree.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
That would depend on the place that the context is talking about. If they are those in their midst that have heard the good news and have not received it into their hearts, they had the truth presented unto them but they wander away from that truth by refusing to apply it. Besides that, how about all those verses I showed you where only the lost are called sinners and James using the same phrase earlier talking about getting saved. The scripture cannot be right in one place and be wrong in another, they must walk hand in hand. I can agree to disagree.
But any one of us could be correct in one place and wrong in another place in Scripture in our hermeneutics.

Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
iwb,

The problem I see with your interpretation is that it is talking about Christian. Take a read of the first 4 verses of the book:

This book is addressed to brothers and sisters in Christ. this is also affirmed in the verses before 5:20, James 5:19 which reads

It is straining at a gnat to try to make this refer to the non-converted. The context of the whole book of James and 5:19 refutes that view.

The gnat may have went into your eye and blurred it making you missed this in chapter 1:26-27 If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless. 27 Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
James 4:4-6 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”? 6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.” Just as John wrote about those who love the world 1 John 2:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

You too avoid showing anywhere in scripture where one called a sinner is not an unsaved person, is that an oversight, or couldn't examples be found?

One warning of the danger of believers falling away would be enough to refute absolute eternal security. But we have it in passages such as 2 Thess 2:3; 1 Tim. 1:19; Heb 6:4-6; James 5:20. It's too late to try to convince me of eternal security as these verses refute such a view. Oz
That is your opinion of believers falling away not what the passage makes clear, nor does it walk hand in hand with the teachings of the scripture. I have shown you several times John 8:30 and again, you overlook it and respond not as to what it means if it doesn't mean exactly like it reads. And I am not trying to convince you of eternal security at all, if scripture is enough, I know that nothing I can say would accomplish what the word has failed to do. My duty is simply to show what scripture says and that I have done, the ball is in your court as they say. Each tub sits on it's own bottom.

This added later, not John 8:30 but 8:31

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
P

Petruchio

Well, what does it mean when God says: “And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity?” (Mat 7:23). This same theme of “not knowing them” as the elect of God is taken up elsewhere by John, who speaks of Apostates as “not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us”(1Jn 2:19). Again, when speaking of the horrors that would come upon the world, Christ says: "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect." (Mat 24:24), obviously intimating that it is impossible for the elect to be fatally deceived. While it is possible for a Christian at times to be forsaken by God, for the purpose of teaching him humility, yet, as Paul declares, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God," and to this the Apostle immediately adds, "to them who are the called according to his purpose" (Rom 8:28), lest anything think that it is by the power of man that we are preserved. Again, in yet another place, the Apostle declares: "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ" (Php 1:6). Thus no apostate is of the elect, but are, in fact, infiltrators who must at some point be expelled. And all those who are the sheep of God can never be finally lost. Or as Augustine puts it,

“But of such as these [the Elect] none perishes, because of “all that the Father has given Him, He will lose none.” John 6:39 Whoever, therefore, is of these does not perish at all; nor was any who perishes ever of these. For which reason it is said, “They went out from among us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would certainly have continued with us.” John 2:19. (Augustine, Treatise on the Predestination of the Saints, Ch. 33)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KaylaHansa

Aug 19, 2013
✟15,157.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In all honesty I'm not exactly sure what I believe... I'm still trying to figure all these things out. I brought those verses up because I read them recently and they seemed to point to losing salvation and then I saw this thread on here. I see what you're saying about the sinner thing but as oz said, unChristians don't seem to fit into the context...

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hebrews 6:4-6

Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

4 For it is impossible to renew to repentance those who were once enlightened, who tasted the heavenly gift, became companions with the Holy Spirit, 5 tasted God’s good word and the powers of the coming age, 6 and who have fallen away, because,[a] to their own harm, they are recrucifying the Son of God and holding Him up to contempt.

Let me put it another way.

Jesus said:

"My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand." -John 10:29 (KJV)

If sin, causes you to come out of the Father's hand, if you, choosing to sin, takes you out of the Father's hand, and costs you your salvation, then God ceases to omnipotent (all powerful). Sin, and man (namely you) are able to overpower and take yourself from His care.

Now which is corect?

No man, not even yourself can take you out of God's hand, or is sin and man more powerful than God?

Either Jesus and scriptures are correct, or Jesus told a lie and subsequently the scriptures lie also, which means sin and man are more powerful than God.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The problem is: in this church age, once you are saved by God, there is no way YOU can unsave yourself no matter what you do.

Sure there is.

Haven't you read the thread? :D

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
The gnat may have went into your eye and blurred it making you missed this in chapter 1:26-27 If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless. 27 Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
James 4:4-6 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”? 6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.” Just as John wrote about those who love the world 1 John 2:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

You too avoid showing anywhere in scripture where one called a sinner is not an unsaved person, is that an oversight, or couldn't examples be found?

That is your opinion of believers falling away not what the passage makes clear, nor does it walk hand in hand with the teachings of the scripture. I have shown you several times John 8:30 and again, you overlook it and respond not as to what it means if it doesn't mean exactly like it reads. And I am not trying to convince you of eternal security at all, if scripture is enough, I know that nothing I can say would accomplish what the word has failed to do. My duty is simply to show what scripture says and that I have done, the ball is in your court as they say. Each tub sits on it's own bottom.
iwb,

I do not avoid calling saints sinners.

This writer has summarised some biblical material to show that ....
Believers Still Sin
It is not difficult to convince most believers from Scripture as well as from experience that sin is still a part of their existence. They sometimes act carnally (1 Cor 3:1-3). The promise of continual cleansing of sin as they walk in the light (1 John 1:7) as well as the present tense used for the confession of sins (1:9 {1 John 1:9}) suggest that sin is continually present with believers. To say “we have no sin,” John wrote, is self-deception and impossible for believers (1:8 {1 John 1:8}). Although the personal identity of the believer is in Christ, and thus in the new man which is being transformed into His image, the manner of life of the old man remains a part of the believer’s experience. This is why Paul directed believers to put off the practices of the old man (Eph 4:22; Col 3:8-9).
As for John 8:30, you wrote, ' I have shown you several times John 8:30 and again, you overlook it and respond not as to what it means if it doesn't mean exactly like it reads'.

What on earth are you talking about? John 8:30 states, 'As he was saying these things, many believed in him'. What has that to do with eternal security as the 'believed' is in the aorist tense and thus speaks of a point action time in the past? How does that affirm eternal security?

Oz

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Another inherant problem with the thought that once saved, you can be unsaved, or lose your eternal life.

Merriam-Webster defines "hypocrasy" as:

the behavior of people who do things that they tell other people not to do : behavior that does not agree with what someone claims to believe or feel.

: a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion
: an act or instance of hypocrisy

Source

In Matthew 23, three times Jesus is recorded as calling the Pharisees "hypocrites". (vs. 13-15)

So from Jesus' own words, we see that "hypocrasy' is a sin.

In fact, Paul writes in great detail on this:

"Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things...Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God, And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law; And art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness, An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which hast the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law. Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal? Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege? Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?" -Rom. 2:2, 17-23 (KJV)

Those spoken of in Mt. 7:21-23 are hypocrites.

They boast of the works they did in his name, and yet, they were never known to Jesus as one of His own.

So, having established "hypocrasy" is a sin, Paul, confronts Peter in Galatia saying that Peter was guilty of "hypocrasy"

"But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed." -Gal. 2:11 (KJV)

The Greek word here is "kataginwskw" (kat-ag-in-o'-sko) which means:

1) to find fault with, blame 2) to accuse, condemn

Source

And this was not the first time Peter sinned, for in Acts 10, it is recorded that Peter, when told by God to do something, disobeyed.

Show me in scriptures, Peter's repentance for his sins.

I have no doubt that he did repent. But the point is, at what point did Peter lose his salvation because he sinned?

And the important part is that "hypocrasy" is a willful sin.

Saying that one can lose their salvation, we have no recourse than to say Peter lost his, and yet, there is no repentance recorded, and yet Peter was still at the First Apostolic Council held in Jerusalem after the Galatia incident. And yet we have Peter's epistles included in the canon of scripture.

So when did Peter lose his salvation, and since he once walked, talked, and was taught by God Himself, was "enlightened" where is it recorded that he was "rewed again unto repentance"?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Another point.

Sin, whether willful or out of ignorance, is still sin.

Scriptures record that Paul, writer of 66% of the New Testament, sinned at least three times after the point of salvation.

Near the end of Paul's missionary journies, he was bound and determined to go to Jerusalem.

At Tyre, Paul was greeted by "disciples" "who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem." -Acts 21:4 (KJV)

Later on, he was confronted by "a certain prophet, named Agabus. And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles. And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem." (vs. 10-12 (KJV)

Now you can debate as to whether or not the word "spirit" here means the Holy Spirit" or not. I'm inclined to think it was since their prophesies came true.

Twice Paul was told not to go to Jerusalem and yet Paul made a willful decision, disobeyed the Holy Spirit and went to Jerusalem.

Later on while in Jerusalem, it is recorded:

"Then said Paul unto him, God shall smite thee, thou whited wall: for sittest thou to judge me after the law, and commandest me to be smitten contrary to the law? And they that stood by said, Revilest thou God's high priest? Then said Paul, I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people." -Acts 23:3-5 (KJV)

Paul, a Pharisee, who knew the Law forwards and backwards, better than any of the other disciples, "brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel" almost as well as the Lord who gave them, sinned in reviling the High Priest.

So tell me at what point did Paul lose his salvation?

Just because one makes a confession, claims to be a "Christian" and then falls away, does not mean they apostasized.

"All is not gold that glitters".

The parable of the Sower proves this.

Matthew 7 proves this.

"They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us." -1 John 2:19 (KJV)

How many disciples did Jesus have? Don't know, but I do know that it is recorded:

"From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him." -Jn. 6:66 (KJV)

Why is that?

"They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us."

They may have had a "head knowledge" of Jesus, but they did not have a "heart knowledge" of Jesus.

Jesus said that He would leave the 99 and go hunt for the one that strayed. Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit never has, nor never will, ever lose one of their own.

This is confirmed in Hebrews.

WHen you acted up, and your fathers spanked you for your transgressions, God will do the same. (Heb. 12:5-11)

But there are those here in this thread who believe God can lose the 100th sheep.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Let me put it another way.

Jesus said:

"My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand." -John 10:29 (KJV)

If sin, causes you to come out of the Father's hand, if you, choosing to sin, takes you out of the Father's hand, and costs you your salvation, then God ceases to omnipotent (all powerful). Sin, and man (namely you) are able to overpower and take yourself from His care.

Now which is corect?

No man, not even yourself can take you out of God's hand, or is sin and man more powerful than God?

Either Jesus and scriptures are correct, or Jesus told a lie and subsequently the scriptures lie also, which means sin and man are more powerful than God.

God Bless

Till all are one.
Dean,

This is what happens when you read John 10:28-29 in isolation from the rest of John's Gospel. It is true that 'I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.... no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand'.

BUT this is what can happen. Take a read of John 15:6. This is in the context of being in the vine - God's vine - and his is the vinedresser (15:1). This is what John 15:6 states,
If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned' (ESV).
The gracious power of God is comprehensively sufficient to protect every born-again Christian believer forever. But a believer can in the end be lost, because salvation is conditional. None of our enemies will be able to snatch us out of the Father's/Jesus' hands.

BUT ... BUT, any Christian can turn from Jesus, enter into disbelief, commit apostasy and perish by a wilful act of their own. That's what John 15:6 teaches.

Therefore, John 10:28-29 is not an absolute that guarantees once-saved-always-saved (not biblical language). Eternal life is granted to those who continue to believe. We know this from verses in John such as John 3:35; 6:47,
Whoever believes [Gk present tense - continues to believe] in the Son has [Gk present tense - continues to have] eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him (John 3:36 ESV)

Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes [Gk present tense - continues to believe] has [[Gk present tense - continues to have] eternal life (John 6:47 ESV).
Thus, eternal life only continues as long as a person continues to believe. He or she can commit apostasy by not continuing to believe in Christ for eternal life.

I know people for whom this has happened and is continuing to happen - apostasy - and they were once vibrant Christians.

John 10:28-29 cannot be read in isolation apart from John 3:36; 6:47 and 15:6.

I have to be honest with what the text says, based on the tenses of the original language.

I do not think that you will like this kind of news (and it shoudn't be new news for you), but that is what the texts say.

And have a guess what? 1 Timothy 1:19 and Hebrews 6:4-6 confirm that this can happen. People can continue to believe or to discontinue to belief. They then move from eternal life to eternal damnation. That's how I see the Bible unfolding.

I have to be honest with the biblical text and in this case, with John's Gospel.

In Christ, Oz

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dean,

This is what happens when you read John 10:28-29 in isolation from the rest of John's Gospel. It is true that 'I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.... no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand'.

BUT this is what can happen. Take a read of John 15:6. This is in the context of being in the vine - God's vine - and his is the vinedresser (15:1). This is what John 15:6 states,

The gracious power of God is comprehensively sufficient to protect every born-again Christian believer forever. But a believer can in the end be lost, because salvation is conditional. None of our enemies will be able to snatch us out of the Father's/Jesus' hands.

BUT ... BUT, any Christian can turn from Jesus, enter into disbelief, commit apostasy and perish by a wilful act of their own. That's what John 15:6 teaches.

Ok, so we have no recourse than to say both Peter and Paul died without salvation. Afterall: "commit apostasy and perish by a willful act of their own". And that is exactly what they did!

Therefore, John 10:28-29 is not an absolute that guarantees once-saved-always-saved (not biblical language). Eternal life is granted to those who continue to believe. We know this from verses in John such as John 3:35; 6:47,

Thus, eternal life only continues as long as a person continues to believe. He or she can commit apostasy by not continuing to believe in Christ for eternal life.

I know people for whom this has happened and is continuing to happen - apostasy - and they were once vibrant Christians.

John 10:28-29 cannot be read in isolation apart from John 3:36; 6:47 and 15:6.

I have to be honest with what the text says, based on the tenses of the original language.

I do not think that you will like this kind of news (and it shoudn't be new news for you), but that is what the texts say.

And have a guess what? 1 Timothy 1:19 and Hebrews 6:4-6 confirm that this can happen. People can continue to believe or to discontinue to belief. They then move from eternal life to eternal damnation. That's how I see the Bible unfolding.

I have to be honest with the biblical text and in this case, with John's Gospel.

In Christ, Oz

On John 10:28, John Gill comments:

neither shall any pluck them out of my hand; Christ's sheep are in his hands, being put there by God the Father, both as an instance of his love to Christ, and them; and this was done from all eternity, even when they were chosen in him; so that they were in the hands of Christ, before they were in the loins of Adam; and were preserved in him, notwithstanding Adam's fall, and through the ruins of it. To be in the hands of Christ, is to be high in his esteem and favour; the saints are a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord, and a royal diadem in the hand of their God; they are a signet on his right hand that shall never be plucked off; they are engraven on the palms of his hands: to be in the hands of Christ, is to be in his possession, and at his dispose, as all the elect of God are; and to be under his guidance, care, and protection, as they be; they are fed according to the integrity of his heart, and guided by the skilfulness of his hands; they are always under his care and watchful eye, who protects them from all their enemies, and hides them in the hollow of his hand: hence, because they are so, they are called "the sheep of his hand", Ps 95:7. And none shall ever pluck them from thence; no man can do it, not any false teacher can remove them from Christ, by all the art and cunning he is master of; nor any violent persecutor, by all the force and power he can use; nor can any sin, or snare, or temptation, draw them out of Christ's hands; nor any adversity whatever separate them from him: they must be safe, and always abide there, who are in the hands of Christ; for his hands have laid the foundations of the heavens and the earth, they grasp the whole universe, and hold all things together; and who then can pluck any out of these hands? Moreover, Christ, as Mediator, has all power in heaven and earth; and even as man, he is the man of God's right hand, made strong for himself.

Source

Now, regarding the Hebrews passage, I'm sure your familiar with Kittles?

fwtizw,v \{fo-tid'-zo}
[SIZE=-1]1) to give light, to shine 2) to enlighten, light up, illumine 3) to bring to light, render evident 3a) to cause something to exist and thus come to light and become clear to all 4) to enlighten, spiritually, imbue with saving knowledge 4a) to instruct, to inform, teach 4b) to give understanding to [/SIZE]

Source

V. The Rest of the New Testament

1. Hebrews. Hb. uses the verb "fwtizw" twice of Christians, the reference being to the beginning of the Christian life, 6:4; 10:32; ->1, 382, 21 ff.; IV. 1005, 35 ff. Baptism is in view. But the use of the verb is not developed and there is no fixed baptismal terminology -> 357, 19 ff. Illumination takes place at baptism, but the verb does not denote this technically; it simply refers to the process of illumination as such.

THeological Dictionary of the New Testament, Gerhard Kittle, Editor, Geoffery W. Bromiley, Translator, Wm. B. Erdmans Publishing Company, Grand Rapids, Mi. Copyright 1974, Volume IX, p. 355

So when I quoted Arthur W. Pink, saying:

The Greek word for "enlightened" here signifies "to give light or knowledge by teaching". It is so rendered by the Septuagint in Judges 13:8, 2 Kings 12:2, 17:27. The apostle Paul uses it for "to make manifest", or "bring to light" in 1 Corinthians 4:5, 2 Timothy 1:10. Satan blinds the minds of those who believe not, lest "the light of the gospel should shine unto them" (2 Cor. 4:4), that is, give the knowledge of it. Thus, "enlightened" here means to be instructed in the doctrine of the gospel, so as to have a clear apprehension of it. In the parallel passage in Hebrews 10:26 the same people are said to have "received the knowledge of the truth", cf. also 2 Peter 2:20, 21. It is, however, only a natural knowledge of spiritual things, such as is acquired by outward hearing or reading; just as one may be enlightened by taking up the special study of one of the sciences. It falls far short of that spiritual enlightenment which transforms (2 Cor. 3:18). An illustration of a unregenerate person being "enlightened", as here, is found in the case of Balaam; Numbers 24:4.

He was correct for we nothing which indicates whomever the writer is speaking of ever being brought to "saving faith". And he gives Balaam as one example.

Simon, in Acts * is another example. Yes he apparently made a confession, and yes, he was baptized, but he also had not received any illunination.

Can a person who is born again, baptized be "thy heart is not right in the sight of God."? Or: "in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity."?

No sir. So your arguement on "enlightened" does not hold water.

Furthermore, in this thread, it has been clearly stated that one you lose your salvation, that's it.

In Hebrews 6:6, the Greek word used there "anakainizw" simply means that once you've been born again, it cannot happen again.

Hb. 6:6. (aduvaton touV apax fwtisqentas) "palin anakainizein eiV metanoian" "to bring to conversion again." The seriousness of the distinctive teaching of Hb. that there is no second repentance is here shown from the standpoint of the Christian teacher who is speaking. He and his fellow-teachers cannot bring complete apostates to a new beginning which will lead to conversion. The miracle of becoming a "kainh ktisiV" (-> 449) ocurs only once.

THeological Dictionary of the New Testament, Gerhard Kittle, Editor, Geoffrey W. Bromiley, Translator, Wm. B. Erdmans Publishing Company, Grand Rapids, Mi., Copyright 1965, Volume III, p. 451

And yet, Gill also points out:

to renew them again unto repentance, is a thing impossible: by "repentance" is meant, not baptism of repentance; nor admission to a solemn form of public repentance in the church; nor a legal repentance, but an evangelical one: and so to be "renewed" unto it is not to be baptized again, or to be restored anew to the church by repentance, and absolution; but must be understood either of renovation of the soul, in order to repentance; or of the reforming of the outward conversation, as an evidence of it; or of a renewing of the exercise of the grace of repentance and to be renewed "again" to repentance does not suppose that persons may have true repentance and lose it; for though truly penitent persons may lose the exercise of this grace for a time, yet the grace itself can never be lost: moreover, these apostates before described had only a show of repentance, a counterfeit one; such as Cain, Pharaoh, and Judas had; and consequently, the renewing of them again to repentance, is to that which they only seemed to have, and to make pretensions unto; now to renew them to a true repentance, which they once made a profession of, the apostle says is a thing "impossible": the meaning of which is not only that it is difficult; or that it is rare and unusual; or that it is unsuitable and improper; but it is absolutely impossible: it is impossible to these men to renew themselves to repentance; renovation is the work of the Holy Ghost, and not of man; and repentance is God's gift, and not in man's power; and it is impossible for ministers to renew them, to restore and bring them back, by true repentance; yea, it is impossible to God himself, not through any impotence in him, but from the nature of the sin these men are guilty of; for by the high, though outward attainments they arrive unto, according to the description of them, their sin is the sin against the Holy Ghost, for which no sacrifice can be offered up, and of which there is no remission, and so no repentance; for these two go together, and for which prayer is not to be made; see Mt 12:32 and chiefly because to renew such persons to repentance, is repugnant to the determined will of God, who cannot go against his own purposes and resolutions; and so the Jews {l} speak of repentance being withheld by God from Pharaoh, and, from the people of Israel; of which they understand Ex 9:16 and say, that when the holy blessed God withholds repentance from a sinner, bwvl lwky wnya, "he cannot repent"; but must die in his wickedness which he first committed of his own will; and they further observe {m}, that he that profanes the name of God has it not in his power to depend on repentance, nor can his iniquity be expiated on the day of atonement, or be removed by chastisement:

Source

So I respectfully disagree with your accessment.

God Bless

TIll all are one.

Upvote 0