✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians 4:26
Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath.

I need some input on this verse. The other day I saw a comment that didn't line up with my interpretation so I felt like I should take another look.

As I see it this verse means to be angry towards sin (be ye angry) and sin not. If you hate the sin you are less likely to continue in it. I also think that not letting the sun go down upon your wrath means to not be wavering, accepting or yielding to the sin but always having wrath toward it and hating the sin.

This is the opposite of being accepting of the sin as we see being taught today. If you love your neighbor you will hate the sin that makes them stumble.

What is the general consensus? Is this the correct view or am I missing something?

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This is sometime seen as a reference to Ps 4:5 LXX,
" When you are disturbed, do not sin;
ponder it on your beds, and be silent. Selah "

I think it sets a limit to anger. You can be angry. It's a natural human reaction. But don't go so far that it's a sin. That's the point of the second half of the verse. Yes, you may sometimes be angry, but don't let it take hold.

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I need some input on this verse. The other day I saw a comment that didn't line up with my interpretation so I felt like I should take another look.

As I see it this verse means to be angry towards sin (be ye angry) and sin not. If you hate the sin you are less likely to continue in it. I also think that not letting the sun go down upon your wrath means to not be wavering, accepting or yielding to the sin but always having wrath toward it and hating the sin.

This is the opposite of being accepting of the sin as we see being taught today. If you love your neighbor you will hate the sin that makes them stumble.

What is the general consensus? Is this the correct view or am I missing something?

Yes, you're missing something...

The verse simply means that if you get angry at someone ("your neighbor"), don't dwell on it and let it remain. I don't see anywhere that it means hating one's sin.

In context -- the ONLY way to read and quote Scripture...

Ephesians 4:25-27, "Therefore, having laid aside falsehood, each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, because we are members of one another. Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on the cause of your anger. Do not give the devil an opportunity."

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Since you are married, consider that this verse is often used in advising young couples. You cannot
go to bed simmering towards your spouse, this type of residual feelings will definitely lead to sin,
such as blurting out harmful words at an inappropriate moment because of building resentments.
This is very much stressed in the relationships between the brethren, how much more between a
husband and wife, who are one.

Matthew 5:
22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger
of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council:
but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then
come and offer thy gift.

Residual anger and resentments within the body of Christ are toxic.
Clear it up, "before the sun goes down".

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, you're missing something...

The verse simply means that if you get angry at someone ("your neighbor"), don't dwell on it and let it remain. I don't see anywhere that it means hating one's sin.

In context -- the ONLY way to read and quote Scripture...

Ephesians 4:25-27, "Therefore, having laid aside falsehood, each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, because we are members of one another. Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on the cause of your anger. Do not give the devil an opportunity."

Speak the truth to your neighbor in this context would be to tell them this xyz is a sin. I would never be angry with the person I would be angry at the sin that they are committing. Maybe it's how you direct your anger that makes the interpretation different.

• Useful
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since you are married, consider that this verse is often used in advising young couples. You cannot
go to bed simmering towards your spouse, this type of residual feelings will definitely lead to sin,
such as blurting out harmful words at an inappropriate moment because of building resentments.
This is very much stressed in the relationships between the brethren, how much more between a
husband and wife, who are one.

Matthew 5:
22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger
of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council:
but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then
come and offer thy gift.

Residual anger and resentments within the body of Christ are toxic.
Clear it up, "before the sun goes down".

I think this is why I see it differently. Let's say my wife since you brought up marriage, let's say she cheated. I would be angry at the sin (cheating) not my wife. I would still love her but hate the act.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think this is why I see it differently. Let's say my wife since you brought up marriage, let's say she cheated. I would be angry at the sin (cheating) not my wife. I would still love her but hate the act.
That may be the right thing to do, but it's not what this passage says.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That may be the right thing to do, but it's not what this passage says.

I'm open to suggestions. I'm going to go back and look at it from each and everyones perspective.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I would be angry at my wife. I would also still love her and hate the act.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

verse ends with .... Do not give the devil an opportunity."

Don't harbor anger seems to be the teaching.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To me the next verse helps "Neither give place to the devil."

So we're to take care of the things that have upset us that day; otherwise we open the door to the enemy.

From the beginning "But for Cain and his offering He had no respect or regard. So Cain was exceedingly angry and indignant, and he looked sad and depressed. And the Lord said to Cain, Why are you angry? And why do you look sad and depressed and dejected? If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin crouches at your door; its desire is for you, but you must master it." Gen 4

He didnt take care of it and slew Abel.

We can forgive with the Lord's help.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
verse ends with .... Do not give the devil an opportunity."

Don't harbor anger seems to be the teaching.

If you let go of the anger of the sin over time you would become desensitized to it. It goes on to say not to hate the person. In society today we've become more and more used to sins. We no longer even get angry that our neighbors are engaging in sin. We love the person as we are told yet ignore the sin. Even in this forum people hold back and don't speak the truth to our neighbors and instead embrace them.

I'm looking at this with an open mind and will research it from everyone's perspective.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To me the next verse helps "Neither give place to the devil."

So we're to take care of the things that have upset us that day; otherwise we open the door to the enemy.

From the beginning "But for Cain and his offering He had no respect or regard. So Cain was exceedingly angry and indignant, and he looked sad and depressed. And the Lord said to Cain, Why are you angry? And why do you look sad and depressed and dejected? If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin crouches at your door; its desire is for you, but you must master it." Gen 4

He didnt take care of it and slew Abel.

We can forgive with the Lord's help.

I understand forgiveness of the person. I guess I'm seeing this as anger towards the sin. Some verses are tricky. I'm thankful for the input.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I also think that not letting the sun go down upon your wrath means to not be wavering, accepting or yielding to the sin but always having wrath toward it and hating the sin.
I think the sense of the clause is that Not letting the sun go down on your wrath means to let go of the wrath quickly, not to retain it. Literally, when the sun goes down, your wrath shouldn't be there.

There are two words used here, closely related but different. Anger is orge, while wrath is epi-orge. "Epi" is a prefix of heightening or intensification, as we have in "epitome", "epidural", "epic", etc. Paul is saying it is normal to be angry about sin, and our first human reaction is often that we are beside ourselves in it, but that we must let the irrational aspect go and start dealing with the situation in a more positive way. Anger when channeled correctly can be a powerful motivator to confront and correct sin and injustice. It keeps us from being passive when the need is to be active. It was righteous anger, but not irrational and unrestrained wrath, that led Christ to disrupt the moneychangers in the Temple, and to confront the Pharisees at Mt 23.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I think the sense of the clause is that Not letting the sun go down on your wrath means to let go of the wrath quickly, not to retain it. Literally, when the sun goes down, your wrath shouldn't be there.

There are two words used here, closely related but different. Anger is orge, while wrath is epi-orge. "Epi" is a prefix of heightening or intensification, as we have in "epitome", "epidural", "epic", etc. Paul is saying it is normal to be angry about sin, and our first human reaction is often that we are beside ourselves in it, but that we must let the irrational aspect go and start dealing with the situation in a more positive way. Anger when channeled correctly can be a powerful motivator to confront and correct sin and injustice. It keeps us from being passive when the need is to be active.
2 Corinthians 7:11. For see what earnestness this godly grief has produced in you, but also what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what longing, what zeal, what punishment!
At every point you have proved yourselves innocent in the matter.

Channeling your anger at sin in a positive way, to clean up the mess!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you let go of the anger of the sin over time you would become desensitized to it. It goes on to say not to hate the person. In society today we've become more and more used to sins. We no longer even get angry that our neighbors are engaging in sin. We love the person as we are told yet ignore the sin. Even in this forum people hold back and don't speak the truth to our neighbors and instead embrace them.

I'm looking at this with an open mind and will research it from everyone's perspective.

well ... it is written we are to love our enemies .....

we don't ignore sin ... or shouldn't .... I think it's more our approach or attitude about how we are to address sin with one another ... not in anger but yet making it known there are better ways to treat one another and present those.

Matthew 18:15
English Standard Version
“If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother.

Proverbs 25:9
Argue your case with your neighbor without betraying another's confidence,

Matthew 18:21
Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother who sins against me? Up to seven times?"

Galatians 6:1
Brothers, if someone is caught in a trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him with a spirit of gentleness. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK, I think I have a better understanding thanks to everyone taking the time to help me with this. I really do appreciate it. Correctly understanding scripture is important or else we can't apply it correctly.

I now see it as fine to be angry as long as it's with the sin not the sinners. Letting it sit overnight can lead to bitterness or the desire for vengeance can grow, leading to more sinful thoughts and actions.

I'm am by far not perfect and I am truly thankful for the support. Spouting off something incorrectly can lead others astray or mislead them. I don't want to be responsible for another's fall from grace. When I represent God I want to be on solid ground.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians 7:11. For see what earnestness this godly grief has produced in you, but also what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what longing, what zeal, what punishment!
At every point you have proved yourselves innocent in the matter.

Thank you.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

anger serves no good purpose .... let people know but .... not with anger.

Upvote 0