Saved by Grace doesn't mean our works don't matter. Ephesian's over all context screams this.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
-
Both of these passages of verses are addressing false teachings based on good works.. Or to the audience Jesus would have been addressing Jews. Since the audience is Jewish, they would have been thinking about the law and keeping the law in trying to get into the kingdom of heaven.

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thorn bushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
Jesus says exactly why they were not permitted to enter the kingdom of God.

“I NEVER KNEW YOU, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS”

And you’re going to tell me they were practicing the law?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Jesus says exactly why they were not permitted to enter the kingdom of God.

“I NEVER KNEW YOU, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS”

And you’re going to tell me they were practicing the law?
-
Can you not see and understand Jesus is addressing the people who were doing ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’
This is not addressing people keeping the law

This is also not addressing the verses above about false prophets.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
-
Can you not see and understand Jesus is addressing the people who were doing ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’
This is not addressing people keeping the law

This is also not addressing the verses above about false prophets.
That’s not the REASON JESUS SAID THEY WERE CONDEMNED. The passage doesn’t even say that they actually prophesied or performed any miracles. It’s a quote of what they SAID to Jesus, it’s not a statement of what they actually did. You’re cherry picking this one statement out of the passage and ignoring the whole context of it. The passage starts in verse 15 and continues all the way to verse 27. They were wolves disguised as sheep. You can identify them by their actions. They were lawless. They didn’t hear Jesus’ words AND ACT ON THEM. You refuse to acknowledge this because you’re blinded by your doctrines. You allow your doctrines to dictate the scriptures instead of allowing the scriptures to dictate your doctrines.

”“Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. So then, you will know them by their fruits. “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’ “Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell and great was its fall.”“
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7‬:‭15‬-‭27‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Jesus has provided The Holy Spirit for the believer. But that is not an automatic helper, the believer must have the want to and discipline to take advantage of their Holy Spirit gift.
We completely agree here
Eternal Life is a free gift, discipleship and growth as a believer is not, it takes works. This takes a person who wants to grow, the new believer should develop discipline and seek after God's approval and not the worlds.

It simply is not a given that ever person who believes in Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life. Will go on to live a holy Christ like life.

I never stated believe and do nothing else, but that is the reality for some or even many who believe in Jesus.

The label Christian, can be very misleading. many who may identify as a Christian, they have never believed in Jesus. They may be one of the most faithful church goers, sing in the choir, even teach Sunday school, even be a pastor etc...
This is what I have unsuccessfully been trying to convey. The gift is free but once we are given that free gift, we must respond to it to the best of our ability. If we respond to the free gift of grace by believing through faith that we will be saved, we will be.

I think we are coming together in regard to this topic. It gives creedance to a popular Protestant tradition that we only need the Bible and the Holy Spirit to guide us through it. By your study, you have come to this conclusion which is totally the same conclusion that I have learned. This has been a great dialog I think and I wish you all of God's blessing in your pursuit of the truth. You certainly know your Bible and you have my respect.

Upvote 0