Engaged and living with a non-christian man. What should I do?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The Lord works by never ever contridicting His Word. He said do not be unequally yoked. You are instructing someone or suggesting they go against God himself because a mere promise between mortal man.

Jesus said let your yes be yes, and your no, no. We are not free to go back on promises for religious reasons, not without trying to reach agreement with all parties involved. This is basic Second Tablet stuff in my church, and how we treat our neighbor reflects how we love God. It is a serious matter, what you are suggesting actually abrogates the Law of God.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus said let your yes be yes, and your no, no. We are not free to go back on promises for religious reasons, not without trying to reach agreement with all parties involved. This is basic Second Tablet stuff in my church, and how we treat our neighbor reflects how we love God. It is a serious matter, what you are suggesting actually abrogates the Law of God.

We are also told to never make vows. Is not a promise not a yes or no but actually a vow?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
We are also told to never make vows. Is not a promise not a yes or no but actually a vow?

A promise is not a vow. A vow involves superstition. Let your yes, be yes, and your no, no, as Jesus says. If somebody asks you to marry them, we are obligated to take our own words seriously, precisely because another person has placed their trust in those words. It's part of not bearing false witness against our neighbor.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Umm, no, Fire. Sorry, but that's a really, really weak misreading of God's commandments, and how He asks us to keep them. This is serious. If our agreements turn out to lead to sin, the best course of action would be to back out, rather than sin. This young lady is about to marry. But she can still back out, and, imho, should.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Umm, no, Fire. Sorry, but that's a really, really weak misreading of God's commandments, and how He asks us to keep them. This is serious. If our agreements turn out to lead to sin, the best course of action would be to back out, rather than sin. This young lady is about to marry. But she can still back out, and, imho, should.

It is not a sin to marry someone who does not share our religious beliefs. In fact the Bible says the opposite, that our spouse is sanctified.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not a sin to marry someone who does not share our religious beliefs. In fact the Bible says the opposite, that our spouse is sanctified.
After marriage, Fire. That applies if one is already married, converts, and is left with a spouse who is still a non-believer.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
After marriage, Fire. That applies if one is already married, converts, and is left with a spouse who is still a non-believer.

In biblical times, betrothal had the same legal consequences as marriage.

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

G
A promise is not a vow. A vow involves superstition. Let your yes, be yes, and your no, no, as Jesus says. If somebody asks you to marry them, and you say "yes", short of something terribly immoral or abusive being imlpicated in that, we are obligated to take our own words seriously, precisely because another person has placed their trust in those words. It's part of not bearing false witness against our neighbor.

The OPer committed sin by first living, sleeping and wrongfully saying yes. Gods law is Gods law no matter the sin man involves himself in. Just because man uses his yes and no as sin never means he is free to sin again.

Are you actually saying a wedding VOW is not a vow... saying yes in the first place was bad enough with a promise but now "" hey tom we can keep going farther in the mud cuz hey we already started"

Brother i would reeeally suggest doing a context and subject study on yes/no promise and vows.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
FireDragon is right. It is not a sin to marry an unbeliever. Paul *warned* against it because of the various problems it could cause, but it is not forbidden. In this case, the flesh has already become one and emotional bonds have already been strongly developed. To break off a healthy relationship and engagement for the *sole* reason because some people on an internet forum are advising the OP to use scripture to harm someone is a terrible thing to do to a person. It is *not* loving neighbor and by not loving neighbor, it is *not* loving God, and it is definitely *not* loving someone as Christ loves us.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If the two of you are happy together and you get along, I don't see the problem. As the apostle says, the believing spouse sanctifies the other.

People take the "don't be yoked" thing far too legalistically. The real issue is, are you ready to be married to this person, do you truly know them, have you undergone marriage preparation with a counselor?

Obeying God isn't being legalistic.

Hello everyone,
I found this forum and decided to post my situation because I've been so confused and hopeless lately that I don't know what to do. Beginning of this year my non-christian boyfriend proposed to me and I said yes. We moved in together and we are about to get married this month. I'm very happy with him and I think he's a great person but there's one problem that I did not take into consideration when I said yes to him and that's the fact that he's not a christian. He has a Bible and few times I noticed he listened to christian radio but when i spoke to him about that he doesn't believe..
I know God doesn't want Christians to marry non-believers but I made a mistake and I realized it now after we started living together and I said yes to him..
I don't know what to do. I'm confused, hopeless and I pray to God but there's seems to be no solution to this.
I can't leave him after I said yes, also I love him . Plus we live together. But I'm so scared what our life will be together when he's not a believer. He comes with me to church but I can tell he's so far from God.
I disobeyed God following my own path instead of what God wants me to do and now I'm suffering the consequences.
Please give me some advice!
God bless!

John 14 KJV
23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

John 15
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

Why did God preserve the Bible? Bible Avatar.gif

2 Timothy 3
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Romans 15
4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Obedience to God and His instructions is your advice.

Psalm 119
11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Bible does not lie.png

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In biblical times, betrothal had the same legal consequences as marriage.
Betrothal is a unique word. There is an intention. But not a fulfilment, yet. It is not lexically or spiritually the same thing as being in a state of marriage.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Please do a contextual study on how God defines unequally yoked.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
@Avocadoll The Bible has this to say about unwise commitments.

My child, if you have pledged to your neighbor, if you have bound yourself to the stranger,
if you are snared by the sayings of your mouth, if you are caught by the sayings of your mouth,
do this, then, my child, and save yourself, for you have come into the palm of your neighbor’s hand: Go, humble yourself, plead with your neighbor.
Do not give sleep to your eyes, or slumber to your eyelids.
Save yourself like a gazelle from the hand of a hunter, or like a bird from the hand of a fowler. -Prov 6:1-5​

You certainly can back out of a commitment before it's too late. The alternative, entering into a one-flesh life-long covenant with someone who is not a believer, is in my valuation not workable if you want to have an unfettered relationship with Christ.

Only you can make the decision, and as you can see, whatever you choose you will find people who will affirm you. But to my mind there is no question what the scriptures say on the matter.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
FireDragon is right. It is not a sin to marry an unbeliever. Paul *warned* against it because of the various problems it could cause, but it is not forbidden. In this case, the flesh has already become one and emotional bonds have already been strongly developed. To break off a healthy relationship and engagement for the *sole* reason because some people on an internet forum are advising the OP to use scripture to harm someone is a terrible thing to do to a person. It is *not* loving neighbor and by not loving neighbor, it is *not* loving God, and it is definitely *not* loving someone as Christ loves us.

Personally I love God first and foremost which is keeping His commandments...not just the ones that fit into our worldly lusts and convienience of sin. Then i love my neighbor but that love can NEVER contradict His commands and still be honored.

We are not to be unequally yoked. Dont force the Holy Ghost to be a part of a union that contradicts His Word. The two become one so dont advise a dishonor on the God of the universe, the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Personally I love God first and foremost which is keeping His commandments...not just the ones that fit into our worldly lusts and convienience of sin. Then i love my neighbor but that love can NEVER contradict His commands and still be honored.

We are not to be unequally yoked. Dont force the Holy Ghost to be a part of a union that contradicts His Word. The two become one so dont advise a dishonor on the God of the universe, the Holy Spirit.

Jesus' new covenant commandment is to love each other as he loves us. And he doesn't just mean other Christians, or people we like, but also people who are NOT like us, even people who don't like us or may even be our enemies. Jesus never mentioned anything about turning our backs and rejecting our loved ones simply because we find out one day that they aren't as "Christian" as we thought they were.

Not to mention that not marrying an unbeliever is *not* a commandment of God, but simply a warning from Paul.

It even sounds like this guy is going to church with the OP and isn't doing anything to hinder her faith. This is a lot more than other Christians are doing. I've known several couples who attend separate churches because one is a Baptist and the other is a Catholic, but yet this is somehow better than someone who may not yet fully believe, but yet who is fully supportive simply because one has the label as a Christian and the other does not.

And then there is the matter that in this case, the two are ALREADY one flesh. A piece of paper from the government isn't going to change that one way or the other. If the Holy Spirit is within the OP, then the Holy Spirit is already a part of this union. But people here who know nothing of the OP and her relationship other than a couple paragraphs already have their claws out rending it apart as if it is nothing, with little to no concern for the welfare or who or what they are rending.

This sort of ridiculousness along with a callous attitude towards others and it's no wonder Christianity continues to decline.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus' new covenant commandment is to love each other as he loves us. And he doesn't just mean other Christians, or people we like, but also people who are NOT like us, even people who don't like us or may even be our enemies. Jesus never mentioned anything about turning our backs and rejecting our loved ones simply because we find out one day that they aren't as "Christian" as we thought they were.

Not to mention that not marrying an unbeliever is *not* a commandment of God, but simply a warning from Paul.

It even sounds like this guy is going to church with the OP and isn't doing anything to hinder her faith. This is a lot more than other Christians are doing. I've known several couples who attend separate churches because one is a Baptist and the other is a Catholic, but yet this is somehow better than someone who may not yet fully believe, but yet who is fully supportive simply because one has the label as a Christian and the other does not.

And then there is the matter that in this case, the two are ALREADY one flesh. A piece of paper from the government isn't going to change that one way or the other. If the Holy Spirit is within the OP, then the Holy Spirit is already a part of this union. But people here who know nothing of the OP and her relationship other than a couple paragraphs already have their claws out rending it apart as if it is nothing, with little to no concern for the welfare or who or what they are rending.

This sort of ridiculousness along with a callous attitude towards others and it's no wonder Christianity continues to decline.

First commandment is to love Him with all your heart, soul and spirit. He said to love Him is to keep His commandments. How can you say you love him yet disobey and be unequally yoked?

So you take some of what Paul says as instruction from God but not keep the ones that are not lining up with your lifestyle?

Then love your neighbor. It does not say your love can compromise through sin. You can love your enemy but not marry them. The OPer does not have to be married to love. You can not break the first and keep the second. There is an order.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How can you say you love him yet disobey and be unequally yoked?

That is not talking about marrying a non-Christian.

1 Corinthians 7:12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.
1 Corinthians 7:13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.
1 Corinthians 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
1 Corinthians 7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

Some believe this contradicts what Paul later wrote:

2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

This isn't about marriage or he would have spoken about marriage. He states pretty clearly that no one should divorce an unbeliever even though that technically makes them "unequally yoked"

Gill

not is it to be understood as dehorting from entering into marriage contracts with such persons; for such marriages the apostle, in his former epistle, had allowed to be lawful, and what ought to be abode by; though believers would do well carefully to avoid such an unequal yoke, since oftentimes they are hereby exposed to many snares, temptations, distresses, and sorrows, which generally more or less follow hereon: but there is nothing in the text or context that lead to such an interpretation; rather, if any particular thing is referred to, it is to joining with unbelievers in acts of idolatry; since one of the apostle's arguments to dissuade from being unequally yoked with unbelievers is, "what agreement hath the temple of God with idols?" and from the foregoing epistle it looks as if some in this church had joined with them in such practices; see 1Co_10:14. But I rather think that these words are a dissuasive in general, from having any fellowship with unbelievers in anything sinful and criminal, whether in worship or in conversation:

Clarke

2Co 6:14 -
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers - This is a military term: keep in your own ranks; do not leave the Christian community to join in that of the heathens. The verb e?te?????e?? signifies to leave one’s own rank, place, or order, and go into another; and here it must signify not only that they should not associate with the Gentiles in their idolatrous feasts, but that they should not apostatize from Christianity; and the questions which follow show that there was a sort of fellowship that some of the Christians had formed with the heathens which was both wicked and absurd, and if not speedily checked would infallibly lead to final apostasy.
Some apply this exhortation to pious persons marrying with those who are not decidedly religious, and converted to God. That the exhortation may be thus applied I grant; but it is certainly not the meaning of the apostle in this place

Acts 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Here a man can believe in the Lord and be saved AND his house can be saved meaning his family. That is the same exact concept of one person in a marriage/family saving another through their personal faith. Talk about grace and mercy!

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟400,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
bekkilyn, do you really believe that being engaged is an irreversible thing? That it is the same as being married? Why is it then that you have to legally file for a divorce but not file to become disengaged?

Do you really think it's irreversible?

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
bekkilyn, do you really believe that being engaged is an irreversible thing? That it is the same as being married? Why is it then that you have to legally file for a divorce but not file to become disengaged?

Do you really think it's irreversible?

Not at all. I would agree that she is under no legal *obligation* to enter into a marriage contract with him.

However, she is also under no obligation to government or to God to refuse to marry him either.

Upvote 0