Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Given the state of available knowledge today, I'll stick with the flat earth comparison.
Yes why look at the fact that science has had to correct itself over and over again throughout history. I am still confused about Pluto is it a planet or is it not?

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The people killed in the hurricanes, fires, lives, property and other things lost as it climate change makes things worse.
Oh so before the industrial age no one was killed in the hurricanes, fires, lives, property and other things, now there is some rare logic.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes why look at the fact that science has had to correct itself over and over again throughout history. I am still confused about Pluto is it a planet or is it not?

Correction is good, isn't it? There are many examples of science being modified as more data is found. One of science's virtues is this acceptance of better explanations.

Astronomy is a very good example. The theory that the sun revolved round the Earth was superseded by an explanation that better suited the improved observations (following the invention of the telescope); the Earth revolved round the sun in a circular orbit. This was superseded by positing an elliptical orbit, the current scientific view.

If anomalies occur which require further refinement of this view, astronomy will reach agreement to accept a proposition which accommodates the new data.

(The scientific knowledge about the nature of Pluto hasn't changed; only the definition of how big an orbiting mass has to be to be called a planet.)

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Correction is good, isn't it? There are many examples of science being modified as more data is found. One of science's virtues is this acceptance of better explanations.

Astronomy is a very good example. The theory that the sun revolved round the Earth was superseded by an explanation that better suited the improved observations (following the invention of the telescope); the Earth revolved round the sun in a circular orbit. This was superseded by positing an elliptical orbit, the current scientific view.

If anomalies occur which require further refinement of this view, astronomy will reach agreement to accept a proposition which accommodates the new data.

(The scientific knowledge about the nature of Pluto hasn't changed; only the definition of how big an orbiting mass has to be to be called a planet.)
So far from science always being right, it is only right until it corrects itself. That has been the case since the beginning of time, that means that basing our decisions on science is basing our decisions on something that may turn out to be wrong at anytime. Following the science is no assurance that the results we would like to achieve will actually be achieved. As I said in one of my previous posts who can say for certain how many times in the past the earth has gone through climate change.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,965.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
So far from science always being right, it is only right until it corrects itself. That has been the case since the beginning of time, that means that basing our decisions on science is basing our decisions on something that may turn out to be wrong at anytime. Following the science is no assurance that the results we would like to achieve will actually be achieved. As I said in one of my previous posts who can say for certain how many times in the past the earth has gone through climate change.
Science isn't about being always correct, it's about being less wrong.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Science isn't about being always correct, it's about being less wrong.
Oh so science is "relative truth", you have your truth, I have my truth, cool my truth only includes those things I want to believe.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,965.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Oh so science is "relative truth", you have your truth, I have my truth, cool my truth only includes those things I want to believe.
That is obvious.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh so before the industrial age no one was killed in the hurricanes, fires, lives, property and other things, now there is some rare logic.

Yeah your logic is like most climate denialists, since things happened in the past they can't happen now due to climate change. Notice I said made worse, we've been having more severe storms more frequently. As climate change gets worse things will get worse. But keep pretending that things aren't different.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

vs the GOP and church which still gets things like climate change, evolution and other things wrong. I will take self correcting that learns from it's mistakes, over lying and never admitting it's wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah your logic is like most climate denialists, since things happened in the past they can't happen now due to climate change. Notice I said made worse, we've been having more severe storms more frequently. As climate change gets worse things will get worse. But keep pretending that things aren't different.
And we still do not know if that has anything to do with anything we can control. Climate has changed over the life of the earth, that is nothing new or preventable.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
vs the GOP and church which still gets things like climate change, evolution and other things wrong. I will take self correcting that learns from it's mistakes, over lying and never admitting it's wrong.
How do you know what is a lie, if science corrects itself was everything that it believed before the correction a lie? Point in fact you do not know what is a lie and what is a fact, you have decided to believe certain things, science could prove those things to be absolutely wrong at some future point.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How do you know what is a lie, if science corrects itself was everything that it believed before the correction a lie?

Of course not a lie. Science follows the evidence (dread word!).

Take gravity. Aristotle among others believed that heavy objects fell faster than light objects. Galileo showed this to be false in a famous experiment dropping objects from the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Isaac Newton formalised Galileo's observations into his famous Laws of Gravity, which are accurate enough to calculate satellite orbits and moon-shots. Einstein further refined Newton's Law with his General Theory of Relativity.

None of them were lying. Each man made a great leap forward in human understanding by improving on the work of his predecessors.

Science.

Last edited:
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course not a lie. Science follows the evidence (dread word!).

Take gravity. Aristotle among others believed that heavy objects fell faster than light objects. Galileo showed this to be false in a famous experiment dropping objects from the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Isaac Newton formalised Galileo's observations into his famous Laws of Gravity, which are accurate enough to calculate satellite orbits and moon-shots. Einstein further refined Newton's Law with his General Theory of Relativity.

None of them were lying. Each man made a great leap forward in human understanding by improving on the work of his predecessors.

Science.
The top 10 most spectacularly wrong widely held scientific theories

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And we still do not know if that has anything to do with anything we can control. Climate has changed over the life of the earth, that is nothing new or preventable.

Yeah not like scientists have taken all the factors except for stuff humans have done and figured out it was us, but keep lying to yourself.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah not like scientists have taken all the factors except for stuff humans have done and figured out it was us, but keep lying to yourself.
Not to confuse anyone with facts when their mind is intractable but: The global warming scientists -- with their models defunct and now acting on hope rather than science -- assert that temperatures will soon renew their climb. The global cooling scientists assert the opposite - that temperatures on Earth have peaked, as they have peaked countless times before in following nature's cycles. And that consistent with Earth's history, and with the laws of physics, temperatures on Earth will now be falling. Why Humans Don't Have Much To Do With Climate Change

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Weird that science held those beliefs, when pretty much all of them predate scientific method and science. And many were held by the church and religion.
That is not the case, check the dates.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,965.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Not to confuse anyone with facts when their mind is intractable but: The global warming scientists -- with their models defunct and now acting on hope rather than science -- assert that temperatures will soon renew their climb. The global cooling scientists assert the opposite - that temperatures on Earth have peaked, as they have peaked countless times before in following nature's cycles. And that consistent with Earth's history, and with the laws of physics, temperatures on Earth will now be falling. Why Humans Don't Have Much To Do With Climate Change
That's from 2014.

Global temperatures have risen since then.

Upvote 0