Visit site
✟677,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
sorry, but this looks like a hatchet piece.

I intentionally didn't exclude the quotes from other church founders so to have not this be a hatchet piece. The point of this really had nothing to do with misogyny but more the reliability of saints or reformers and their traditions or interpretations when weighed against scripture.

It is in the consensus of the Church Father's that we find truth that can be trusted. It's potentially very misleading to draw a conclusion based on one or a few.

We don’t consider the church fathers to be infallible. It’s the consensus of the Church over time. None of the bishops or leaders are infallible. However, when in consensus, we consider it to be preserving the Orthodox faith. Consensus doesn’t mean just consensus of the people at the time, but throughout the history of the Church.

Ok Thanks I get it , its the consensus that shaped and maintained the traditions of the Orthodox faith.

• Winner
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
She is mother of His human part, not of His deity part.

Therefore the title is quite strange and very controversial, for many even blasphemious.

Jesus cannot be divided into "parts" though. I understand what you are saying, but it really has been deeply discussed - almost 2000 years ago. :)

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
She is mother of His human part, not of His deity part.

Therefore the title is quite strange and very controversial, for many even blasphemious.

Not for the first 1500, or so years of Christianity.... Only after the Reformation started messing things up

• Agree
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟677,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Vying for The Golden Plunger Award.

Yeah, well sorry, I'm still having a hard time trying to process that there is no salvation outside the Orthodox church.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, well sorry, I'm still having a hard time trying to process that there is no salvation outside the Orthodox church.
That needs to be understood in context too. Remember that we do NOT judge the salvation of anyone!

But in eternity - the Church is one ...

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,312.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not for the first 1500, or so years of Christianity.... Only after the Reformation started messing things up
Reformation tried to return to simple first Christianity, without hundreds of years of man-made traditions, habits and doctrines...

It tried to return to beginnings.

I understand that for very bulky churches with many traditions it can seem to be "messy".

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And we potentially have 3-4 streams of conversation going on ... I hope your question about how we understand Tradition as regards teaching from the ECFs has been answered at least, since it was the OP. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reformation tried to return to simple first Christianity, without hundreds of years of man-made traditions, habits and doctrines...

It tried to return to beginnings.

Yeah, I understand that for very bulky with many traditions it can seem to be "messy".
It was a noble attempt. The thing is ... the early teachings are still there and more accessible now that ever.

• Winner
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I will just add ... "teaching" and "tradition" have the same root. Protestant translators would translate it as "tradition" when it was a negative thing, and "teaching" or "doctrine" when it was a good thing. It's an introduction of bias.

The Apostles taught to hold fast to the Traditions they handed down.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I intentionally didn't exclude the quotes from other church founders so to have not this be a hatchet piece. The point of this really had nothing to do with misogyny but more the reliability of saints or reformers and their traditions or interpretations when weighed against scripture.

I get that wasn't your intention, but the title of the thread, and then having select pieces from two guys we consider saints, no context to what they wrote, it came across that way, at least to my eyes.

• Friendly
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

OK, but why is the original screed you posted, quoting four authors that have absolutely nothing to do with the Orthodox Church?

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,312.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was a noble attempt. The thing is ... the early teachings are still there and more accessible now that ever.
Thanks to reformation, I think. Before it, the Roman Church did not want to give Bible to people.
People were being killed or imprisoned for having the Bible at home.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks to reformation, I think. Before it, the Roman Church did not want to give Bible to people.
People were being killed or imprisoned for having the Bible at home.
The Roman Church didn't own the entire body of teaching from the early Church. Though what they enforced regarding their Latin translation is a matter to discuss between Catholics and Protestants, since we are neither.

The greatest majority was written in Greek, and is more widely available now because of the efforts of translators and the widespread reach of the Internet.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,312.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Roman Church didn't own the entire body of teaching from the early Church.
Nobody "owns" it. Its free for all. But they wanted to keep it for "priests" and take it away from people to control them. Reformation happened because of it.

Though what they enforced regarding their Latin translation is a matter to discuss between Catholics and Protestants, since we are neither.

When Christians in my country (moravian brothers, unitas fratrum) tried to figure out what to do, they tried to contact eastern church with hope that there they will find the real and simple faith. But they were disappointed, even though situation was better there than in the Roman church, they found many traditions, habits and superstitions in the East, too. That made our Christians desperate what to do.

There was no other way than to fight for truth against all, several crusades tried to crush this small nation until a political lie did the job. Then Martin Luther in the neighbouring Germany appeared and the rest is a known history.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟677,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK, but why is the original screed you posted, quoting four authors that have absolutely nothing to do with the Orthodox Church?

Sorry. That was a really bad idea. I thought it more fair to include the quotes from many denominations so to not come off as attacking any specific church. I wasn't trying to pass off Luther or Calvin as Orthodox.

Upvote 0