Dr. Francis Collins to step down as head of NIH after 12 years, remain leader of NHGRI

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
LINK

Dr. Francis Collins, the folksy, guitar-playing director of the National Institutes of Health, announced Tuesday that he plans to step down as head of the gigantic research agency by the end of the year.

"It has been an incredible privilege to lead this great agency for more than a decade," Collins, the longest serving presidentially appointed NIH director, said in a written statement Tuesday.

Collins, who has served three US presidents for more than 12 years, will continue to lead his research laboratory at the National Human Genome Research Institute, according to the announcement.

Collins has tried to bridge the growing gap between US conservatives and the scientific establishment by stressing his Christian beliefs. "I am a scientist and a believer, and I find no conflict between those world views," he wrote in a commentary for CNN in 2007.

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LINK

Dr. Francis Collins, the folksy, guitar-playing director of the National Institutes of Health, announced Tuesday that he plans to step down as head of the gigantic research agency by the end of the year.

"It has been an incredible privilege to lead this great agency for more than a decade," Collins, the longest serving presidentially appointed NIH director, said in a written statement Tuesday.

Collins, who has served three US presidents for more than 12 years, will continue to lead his research laboratory at the National Human Genome Research Institute, according to the announcement.

Collins has tried to bridge the growing gap between US conservatives and the scientific establishment by stressing his Christian beliefs. "I am a scientist and a believer, and I find no conflict between those world views," he wrote in a commentary for CNN in 2007.

And he used his expertise as the scientist who headed the human genome project, to write a book called The Signature of God and DNA.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,338.00
Faith
Atheist
Upvote 0