Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pope Francis appeared on Italy’s most popular prime-time talk show on Sunday night where the pontiff shared how he hopes that hell is “empty.”

Three million people in Italy tuned in to watch the nearly hourlong television interview with Pope Francis on Jan. 14 in which the pope responded to resistance to the recent Vatican declaration on same-sex blessings, previewed prospective papal trips to Polynesia and Argentina, and spoke of his fear of nuclear armageddon.

The 87-year-old pope began his appearance on the television show “Che Tempo Che Fa” by joking that he is “still alive” and has no plans to resign.

“For as long as I feel I still have the capacity to serve, I will go on. When I can no longer do it, it will be time to think about it,” Francis said.

Hell as ‘empty’?​

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Pope Francis appeared on Italy’s most popular prime-time talk show on Sunday night where the pontiff shared how he hopes that hell is “empty.”

Three million people in Italy tuned in to watch the nearly hourlong television interview with Pope Francis on Jan. 14 in which the pope responded to resistance to the recent Vatican declaration on same-sex blessings, previewed prospective papal trips to Polynesia and Argentina, and spoke of his fear of nuclear armageddon.

The 87-year-old pope began his appearance on the television show “Che Tempo Che Fa” by joking that he is “still alive” and has no plans to resign.

“For as long as I feel I still have the capacity to serve, I will go on. When I can no longer do it, it will be time to think about it,” Francis said.

Hell as ‘empty’?​

Continued below.
I might like to hope hell is empty too. But what if it isn't empty and twenty people there are there because I kept silent when I should have said something to them about Jesus?

This is so sad. A pope who is still alive but has lost his evangelical wits. I'm hoping he had them at one time.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah I mean unless we're sadists we all hope hell is empty the same way we all hope a hurricane doesn't make landfall but if it's projected course brings it ashore then we all know it likely will.

A guy in his position has no benefit in saying that except to deliberately confuse people he's supposed to be shepherding.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yesterday Pope Francis said, “This isn’t dogma, just my thought: I like to think of Hell as being empty. I hope it is.” As often happens following a controversial papal statement, debate broke out online as to whether this is a legitimate—i.e., an orthodox—viewpoint for a Catholic.

While that’s an important question, especially when speaking of the pope, it actually misses a more important point—the impact of hoping that Hell is empty.

Continued below.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think he likes the idea of knowing anyone suffers.
Maybe he has serious problems focusing on that.

I don't think many people want or like that... so we pray for the world.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I don't think he likes the idea of knowing anyone suffers.
Maybe he has serious problems focusing on that.

I don't think many people want or like that... so we pray for the world.
Nobody wants, well almost nobody wants people to suffer, especially to suffer in hell. We would all like hell to be empty. But the question is whether that is only wishful thinking or not.

Jesus seems to have thought hell would be populated. Not that he wanted anyone to go there but that it appears he thought many would. We did missionary work in the past to seek to save as many as possible. Now we seem to think everybody is saved, so why bother. Our attitudes determine what we are willing to do for souls.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Matthew 25:41

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels."

If the bible's saying that he will say depart from me, then there must be people going to hell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I hope for my opinion is less me, and more He.
MANY souls [2/3s] will be destroyed.

I neither want the liberal [change teaching] leaning nor those in staunch favor of persecution of the Vicar be lost.

The Pope is a human and has opinions.
He did not say: All shall no longer believe hell exists.
He said he doesn't like to Think souls are there.
Thinking of someone's condemnation and harrowing torture for eternity is painful for those who empathize.
And empathy is an ingredient for a Pope.

^^ And that's normal if you are overly sensitive.
The Vicar is to care and be Shepherd of the world, embracing souls to come home.

It is said, the Lord is slow to destroy humanity.
He allows the wicked time to change.
He even said the last shall be paid as the ones who worked all day.

He does not delight in losing anyone.
The Lord grieves the souls eternally lost.

Oh Israel, like a Mother hen I wanted to put you under My wings but you would not let Me.

If humans were to decide the end of the wicked, it would be swift and evil nipped immediately.
Yet every human has the capacity for grave sins.

SO if we fear our loved ones suffering torture eternally...
IMAGINE how the Lord feels for we are ALL His loved ones. Even those who annoy us, He does love.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pope Francis would like to think that hell is empty. Here, once again, and for the millionth time, he says something hopeful yet quite wrong.

Hell, for sure and by Catholic dogma, contains Lucifer and the fallen angels. Hell is an existence where the seven deadly sins are raised to the level of gods and those in hell love their sin more than the true God. They are quite happy with an eternity of loving the false gods of the seven deadly sins; they glory in sin.

The Church teaches that it is quite possible for mere human beings to be in hell if they reject God in a definitive and eternal way knowing that it is deadly wrong, choose it nonetheless and with full consent of the will and with much foresight and planning because they love their venial and mortal sins more than they love God and neighbor.

The Church, though, has never, ever, ever declared that any particular human being is in hell. There is no “anti-canonization” of anyone for the pope to declare that so-and-so is actually in hell.

The Pope can in a definitive way say that so-and-so is in heaven.

Have I clarified the pope’s imprecise statement, yes?

Perhaps Pope Francis, though, should celebrate Mass in the Sistine Chapel ad orientem, so that he can see all the bishops and popes Michelangelo cast into hell with his magnificent “Last Judgement” painting.

Posted by Fr. Allan J. McDonald at Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,786.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's a sentimental thought. On the other hand if Hell is empty, that means that Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin and Pot Pot are now skipping around in Heaven.

I don't think so somehow.

I'll put it this way - why shouldn't they pay for what they did to so many people!?

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think the folks who stir the pot [journalists, reporters, writers of blogs and articles] are just as at fault.

Ya know the Pope can have opinions, bringing it out for the world stage is counterintuitive.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Excuse me, but how do you KNOW this? You have gone to the next life? You have seen this in person? Or is this just more theological speculation based on nothing more than imagination? What if people go to stand before Christ and immediately know that they did wrong, that they are repentant for it, and wish to unite to Christ? We simply have no idea what happens after death

Same question as above. This is speculation, pure and simple. Oh, and I thought that venial sins didn't damn you forever in the Latin understanding?
I think Jesus describes hell quite well. I know you have universalist leanings but this is not what the RCC teaches and you are not allowed to debate it here.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

350015_0f282d4b538245f7d5ab333c90dad940.jpeg

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status