Not open for further replies.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Donald Trump is a textbook racist
Civil rights advocates, social scientists and regular citizens have all called out President Donald Trump as a racist in recent weeks. The president’s supporters have countered with stories about the blacks and Latinos he has hired or befriended, and with personal testimonies: “I’ve known Donald Trump for many years. He doesn’t have a racist bone in his body.”

As a professor who researches and teaches courses on the health effects of race, racism and inequality, I can assure you that the president’s defenders are wrong. Trump is a racist. What he says and does meets the scholarly definition of the term.
Before some of you fly off the handle, it would be best to actually read the piece and respond to the specific points the author is making. It would also help that you speak in the context of the definitions provided instead of your own conception of racism.

Scholars break racism into multiple categories:
  • Structural racism: Assigning social value to human populations contingent on misperceptions of inherent differences.
  • Symbolic racism: Rhetoric that delegitimizes others.
  • Institutional racism: Incorporating and formalizing misperceptions of differences into society through public policy.
  • Interpersonal racism: Acting on such misperceptions in direct or face-to-face interactions.
  • Insidious racism: Unconscious belief in and perpetuation of these phenomena.
  • Internalized racism: Among victimized populations, accepting and manifesting negative portrayals.
  • Systemic racism: The influence of these phenomena at multiple levels and across multiple dimensions of society.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I think you mean "Social Justice" Activists LARPing as scholars.
Ad hominem is not much of an argument.

Feel free to argue why racism cannot be broken down into multiple categories (it makes sense considering how the evolution of racist institutions). Please provide an academic response (Note: "The original dictionary definition says..." is not an academic response). And if the complaint is that a word evolves, why only complain about "racism" as opposed to "awful" or "nice"?

Upvote 0

Lucian Hodoboc

I've already read the Bible
Jul 8, 2017
-
Visit site
✟89,082.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think you mean "Social Justice" Activists LARPing as scholars.
Yeah, that whole article is filled with errors. At one point, it even calls Trump "president".

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Ad hominem is not much of an argument.

Feel free to argue why racism cannot be broken down into multiple categories (it makes sense considering how the evolution of racist institutions). Please provide an academic response (Note: "The original dictionary definition says..." is not an academic response). And if the complaint is that a word evolves, why only complain about "racism" as opposed to "awful" or "nice"?

please share your definition of racism with the rest of us. Is it "Privilege + Power"?

I think this is text book liberal smear.

Nah, it's text-book social justice crap. They have to redefine racism to justify calling people they don't like racists while pretending that they can't be racist for their own bigoted views.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
What "race" are illegal immigrants? I thought that was a legal status.

What "race" are foreign born people?

What "race" are the various religions?

This is bunk. This article justifies the argument that "If I don't like you or what you say, then I can call you racist."

Even the basic concept of race is suspect since people are all of the same race, the human race. Everything else is based on skin color and other physical attributes. How does the color of my hair, eyes, or skin define who I am? Cultural and religion differences don't define "race." They are ethnicity. Making a new definition of "race", doesn't make it true. The fact that there are "scholars" who don't get this basic difference shows how low our educational system has gotten.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
What "race" are illegal immigrants? I thought that was a legal status.

What "race" are foreign born people?

What "race" are the various religions?

This is bunk. This article justifies the argument that "If I don't like you or what you say, then I can call you racist."

Even the basic concept of race is suspect since people are all of the same race, the human race. Everything else is based on skin color and other physical attributes. How does the color of my hair, eyes, or skin define who I am? Cultural and religion differences don't define "race." They are ethnicity. Making a new definition of "race", doesn't make it true. The fact that there are "scholars" who don't get this basic difference shows how low our educational system has gotten.
Race is not biological, race is a social construct, much like money. Paper money has no inherent value, but society ascribes it value, hence its use to exchange goods and services. The use of skin color to create institutional policies is real, hence racism is real. Much of these policies were based on the erroneous belief in biological race, but that erroneous belief does not mean the policies are not real, they very much are a reality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nah, it's text-book social justice crap.
Yeah, that's probably a better way to put it.
They have to redefine racism to justify calling people they don't like racists while pretending that they can't be racist for their own bigoted views.
There are people behind the scenes that really make an effort to divide the USA citizens.
It hurts me to see this, because it works...

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I love the "Mexican is not a race!" argument as if this suddenly changes the inherent bigotry. It also flies in the face of how the police pick people out based on their skin color. I have a friend who is Argentinian, and she would often speak of people's racist statements to her thinking that because she was white, then she was not Hispanic. Hispanic is an ethnicity, but for bigots, they treat it like race. It's the same as "Islam is a religion!" argument. Yes, it is, but that doesn't stop bigots from looking at skin color and assuming people of a particular complexion are Muslim (hence the fear that many people of South Asian descent feel).

What is often ignored is that racism in the United States is less about the target and more about defining what is white, and what is not white. That's the reason you end with products labeled "Normal to Dark Skin" (systemic racism).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Broadly speaking, a racist combines negative prejudicial biases with sufficient power to leverage action against targeted groups. Trump’s words and behaviors demonstrate considerable prejudicial bias, and, as president of the United States — arguably the most powerful office in the contemporary world — he has indeed leveraged action against various groups.

Absolute rubbish. Racism doesn't need power to be racism. That nonsense was cooked up to justify why one group could hold negative and prejudicial biases towards other groups and not be monsters.

Jesus had an agenda.

So does the devil.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Absolute rubbish. Racism doesn't need power to be racism. That nonsense was cooked up to justify why one group could hold negative and prejudicial biases towards other groups and not be monsters.
Prejudice and racism are not the same thing, but please go ahead and explain how it is.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.