• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Does your doing away with your sin, earn you the right to get into Heaven...? And/or does it...?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Neogaia777, May 28, 2019.

1. Neogaia777

Neogaia777 Apprentice Supporter

+3,584
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    I got to go for now, but I'll be back later,

Thank all of you guys, and I mean that more than you can or might be able to truly know,

Very grateful for you guys,

God Bless!

2. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,854
    Christian
    Married
    If you think upon this further ... you might realize that Jesus' person (i.e. goodness, works, teachings, etc.) must have ALREADY had an effect upon Zacchaeus ... in order to induce him to set aside his money-grubbing ways for a moment ... and take the time and effort (of climbing into a tree) to see Jesus ...

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  3. Oscarr

Oscarr Senior Veteran Supporter

+7,108
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Although we would be wasting our time telling an unconverted sinner to repent, repentance for the converted believer is a good work that we do out of gratitude, not of requirement.

4. Oscarr

Oscarr Senior Veteran Supporter

+7,108
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Zack would have heard about the miracles of healing and deliverance which would have shown him that Jesus had to be of God because no one could do those things unless God was with him. I don't think that he expected Jesus to even take notice of him, because he would have found it difficult to believe that a holy man like Jesus would want to stop and greet him, much less invite him to lunch! But Jesus did the unexpected and showed Zack that God loves and accepts him just as He is, and there is the promises that what God doesn't like about him, He will change him!

5. chilehed

chilehed Veteran

+672
    Catholic
    Married
    "No", "it" does "not". In "fact", "it's" "not" "possible" "to" "do" "away" "with" "your" "own" "sin".

6. Neogaia777

+3,584
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    I'm going to do my best to always try to be as repentant as I can be and to repent of as much as I can out of my own personal Love, and personal level of gratitude for/toward or to God, for all He has done "for me", with me, personally... But I'm still not seeing much of a point really, beyond that, especially for others that have not had the same (level of) "experience" or experiences that I have had or have with God that I have had, ect, and that's a problem for me right now when trying to share the gospel with others right now, also...

God Bless!

7. Neogaia777

+3,584
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    How do you do it then...?

8. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,288
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Here's the beauty in Imputation. God imputed Adam's sin to us. Then God Imputed our sin to Christ. And then Imputed Christ's righteousness to us. All according to Romans 5. But look how we made out. Jesus is God, so we now have the infinite righteousness of God worthy of all the blessings only God deserves!!

Not sinning reaps positive benefits. But our true righteousness is in Christ.

9. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+1,206
    Catholic
    Married
    Its not so complicated. Everything in salvation comes from God. But we cooperate. So salvation is worked out based on how we respond to Him, to grace given, beginning with the gift of faith but not ending with some one-time act of faith. Its a walk, a journey taking place throughout whatever time we're given to travel on it. The Parable of the Talents sheds much light on this.

10. Biblewriter

Biblewriter Senior Member Supporter

+1,205
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    All that even imagine themselves able to "do away with" their sin are completely unaware of even the basics pf the gospel of Jesus Christ, much less its details. Only God can cover sin, and that is ONLY through the blood of Jesus.

11. Neogaia777

+3,584
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    How so...?

12. Neogaia777

+3,584
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    Can God cause us to overcome sin, and how does that work if He can, or when and if He does, ect...?

13. -Sasha-

-Sasha- Handmaid of God

+421
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I think of it in this way: did the prodigal son "earn" all the gifts which his father bestowed upon him? Or did his father bestow gifts far beyond what he deserved, only for the smallest most basic action on the sons part? The son did not even make it all the way back to his fathers estate before his father ran to meet him and start showering him with love, forgiveness, and many gifts. All that was necessary on the part of the prodigal son was to humbly acknowledge that he needed his father...that he would in fact rather be his fathers servant than his own master, and to begin the trip back to him.

I think this is how it is between us and our Father. We can't earn the things which we need from Him, for we have nothing to offer which matches the value of His mercy, love, or eternal salvation. But He runs to meet us and showers us with these priceless gifts just as soon as we show the smallest turning towards Him in our humble recognition of our own weakness. Should we disdain these gifts? Or ought we love and serve our Benefactor as best as we can manage to, knowing that no matter our service it would never be enough to earn the things which He has already given us, but nonetheless desiring to offer whatever we can to display our gratitude and love for Him? What joy! Our God runs to meet us while we are yet in the road, rejoicing that we who were dead are now alive! Do we not rejoice with Him?

14. StevenBelievin

StevenBelievin Trust In God Supporter

+196
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Constitution
    No you can't earn your way into heaven by not sinning. Repentance itself has to be granted by God. I think someone can resist temptation for a period of time with sheer will power, but for long term change a transformation has to take place. God reveals His Son as a treasure worth more than worldly lusts and then God's goodness leads them to repentance. They turn from their old life of sin and embrace the new life of the Spirit.

15. dqhall

dqhall Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,436
    Christian
    Single
    Remember the parable of the talents. One steward was instructed to manage ten cities and another lost his entire investment capital (Luke 19:12-27). Who is the wise investor who does not invest in ponzi schemes and frauds? Las Vegas made more gamblers poor than rich.

If you sow, you might reap. If God sends a blessing of rain, a gardener might have to pick up his/her hoe and go to work. Gardeners used hoes to chop weeds in order to prevent them from choking their garden crops.

From a Chinese fortune cookie, "He who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth; starves."

Some Jews were looking for a warrior king to deliver them from the Roman occupation and its heavy tax burden. Others recognized God in Jesus' teachings and miraculous healings. Jesus came as a servant.

16. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+1,646
    Christian
    Private
    does God give us power? yes
    is it independent from God? no

17. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+1,206
    Catholic
    Married
    God's servants are given grace to do His will and expected to "invest" it, and increase it, grace leading to more grace, justice to more justice, love to more love. More is expected from those give more-Luke 12:48. And the fate of those who refuse, who "bury" their talents, is not good. God desires perfection without expecting that we'll necessarily achieve it in this life. But that is to be our orientation.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  18. Jermayn

Jermayn New Member

+12
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Salvation is only through the acceptance of Jesus as your savior. You will never be able to do enough good works to get to Heaven on your own.

You will also never be able to resist sin without the help of the Holy Spirit. Trust me, I've tried. You may be able to hold out for a little while, but eventually you will always fail. If you find yourself struggling with sin, you should re-evaluate your relationship with God. Not saying this means you aren't saved. We all have or probably will slip up at some point after we are saved. What I'm saying is if you find yourself failing in the same area over and over, you're probably trying to fight the battle by yourself when you really need to get close to the Holy Spirit and let him help you.

19. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,054
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    First, no one has the capability to "do away with sin" meaning , in my understanding, eradicating from one's life, the ability to sin as well as conquering any and all temptations whether they are acted out or thought of. If this is in fact what you a talking about, it is an impossibility. If anyone claims to be in this condition, they have committed a sin in saying so.
    Blessings

20. Yarddog

Yarddog Senior Contributor Supporter

+2,461
    Catholic
    Married
    No one does away with their own sin. If it is not forgiven, it remains and only God can remove it. If one can stop doing one sin, another still remains so it would be an endless process.
    The only way to achieve success against sin is to stop trying to do it yourself and surrender to the Spirit which God gave through our baptism. Paul wrote that we should learn to walk in the Spirit, that is surrendering to it. As we let go of the need to trust our own selves and truly believe in God's desire to help cleanse us, we begin to find victory over sin. God removes the old desires and feeds us solid spiritual food.

Praise to the Lord of Lords.