Does God listen to and answer all prayers?

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 15:29
The Lord is far from the wicked: but he heareth the prayer of the righteous.

I forgot that verse existed. Thanks that answers my question quite well.

Now the question is.....If we take this verse literal......are sinners righteous before they get saved? Let's say we make a loophole for the sinner praying to be saved......After you are "saved" are you then righteous? Are you righteous after you commit a sin after "being saved" (if you believe that possible)? And if not.....will God hear your prayer of repentance and forgiveness?

Ok, lets make another loophole for prayers of forgiveness and repentance.......are we righteous again after this prayer is heard and answered....therefore free to pray and be heard thereafter?

Maybe we are just using this verse because it seems to agree with our own belief?

We can find one verse, that we seem to agree with all beliefs out there......

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does God listen to and answer all prayers? Or does he only listen to the prayers of Christians? Obviously an unbeliever praying the sinners prayer God listens to but what prayers if any does God not listen to? I'm asking because there are millions if not hundreds of millions of people who believe in God and pray to God everyday. Many of them not Christians. Which of those prayers does God listen to and answer?

God has answered prayers for me both before and after I started to believe in him. God does what he wants, and he is motivated by love. If there are any restrictions on what God chooses to listen to they are not easily understood or defined, the bible hints at when he might or might not listen but as we can see in Jesus, God isn't hindered by the word of the law as we understand it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does God listen to and answer all prayers? Or does he only listen to the prayers of Christians? Obviously an unbeliever praying the sinners prayer God listens to but what prayers if any does God not listen to? I'm asking because there are millions if not hundreds of millions of people who believe in God and pray to God everyday. Many of them not Christians. Which of those prayers does God listen to and answer?
this is the account of a Muslim before he became a believer:

"One night the only food my wife and I had was a small portion of macaroni. My wife prepared it very nicely. Then one of her friends knocked on the door. I told myself, The macaroni is not sufficient for even the two of us, so how will it be enough for three of us? But because we have no other custom, we opened the door, and she came in to eat with us.

While we were eating, the macaroni started to multiply; it became full in the bowl. I suspected that something was wrong with my eyes, so I started rubbing them. I thought maybe my wife hid some macaroni under the small table, so I checked, but there was nothing. My wife and I looked at each other, but because the guest was there we said nothing.

Afterward I lay down on the bed, and as I slept, Isa came to me and asked me, "Do you know who multiplied the macaroni?" I said, "I don't know." He said, "I am Isa al Masih [Jesus, the Messiah]. If you follow me, not only the macaroni but your life will be multiplied."​

I'm know Jesus has encounters with those who do not yet follow him and he cares about their concerns. God of course listens and answers all petitions to him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now the question is.....If we take this verse literal......are sinners righteous before they get saved? Let's say we make a loophole for the sinner praying to be saved......After you are "saved" are you then righteous? Are you righteous after you commit a sin after "being saved" (if you believe that possible)? And if not.....will God hear your prayer of repentance and forgiveness?

Ok, lets make another loophole for prayers of forgiveness and repentance.......are we righteous again after this prayer is heard and answered....therefore free to pray and be heard thereafter?

Maybe we are just using this verse because it seems to agree with our own belief?

We can find one verse, that we seem to agree with all beliefs out there......

Good Day, Raymond

You are not righteous until you are declared to be. I need no loop hole the sinners prayer is not the means of salvation.... it is the direct effect of regeneration. Jesus came to save the unrighteous, and in regeneration and the gifting of faith he does so perfectly.

In Him,

Bill

• Informative
Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No.
No, He doesn't hear the prayers of everyone. Only those seeking His Will.

Proverbs 28:
9He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.

We see that whoever turns their ear from the Torah (the word law is translated from in the original Hebrew) their prayer is an abomination to God, and He will not hear it.

Only when we turn to Him with a heart desiring to obey and serve Him, will our prayer be heard.

One is wise for seeking to keep Torah. It is His will.

Proverbs 28:7Whoso keepeth the law (Torah) is a wise son: but he that is a companion of riotous men shameth his father.

All throughout their prophets we see this pattern. They keep Torah and walk before God perfectly and in righteousness because of their faith in Him coupled with their walking in Torah, and they're blessed abundantly. But once they start to forget Torah for men's traditions and laws, then God rejects them and causes them to be cursed. Because those that reject Torah will be cursed. It's the penalty for transgression, curses. Just as blessings result from walking in Torah, if it's a walk that is coupled by faith in His Name.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God knows the hearts of all people. He answers prayers that move them towards Him. That does not have to be the "sinner's prayer". He knows the stepping stones that can be used to bring people towards Him.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
God knows the hearts of all people. He answers prayers that move them towards Him. That does not have to be the "sinner's prayer". He knows the stepping stones that can be used to bring people towards Him.
Some say you can even babble, if you do not have the words...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some say that God only hears the non-sinners prayer..... But shouldn't this mean that God would give the saved, everything they ask for? If God still tells the saved "no." how would they know if they are receiving a "no" or if they are not being heard because they are a sinner?

And what about the ones who say they will always be a sinner......saved by grace.....but can not be perfect in this life.......they are still non-willing sinners......so are their prayers never heard as well?

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 15:29
The Lord is far from the wicked: but he heareth the prayer of the righteous.

This verse does NOT say that God doesn't answer the prayer of the wicked. It says He DOES answer the prayer of the righteous. the LORD may be "far from the wicked" but His hearing is very good. What counts is the content and attitude of the prayer.

Think of King Manasseh of Judah (2 Chr 33ff, 2 Kings 21). He reigned 55 years, and for most of them "he did evil in the eyes if the LORD, following the detestable practices of the nations the LORD had driven out before the Israelites." After the LORD let him be captured, humiliated and carted off to Babylon, he repented "And when he prayed to Him, the LORD was moved by his entreaty and listened to his plea and He brought him back to Jerusaldm and to his kingdom." (2 Chr 33:13)

In the NT we find that even for believers, our prayers "are not answered," because we don't ask properly. Believers are those who are already righteous in the eyes of God.

I think personally that even here, "not answering" implies not granting the specific request. But the implication is also that God does answer saying something like "Wrong question, dear one," or "Wrong attitude/motivation, my child" or "not now, not in the way you are expecting" or some such.

The bigger question MAY be, that WE are not hearing God's answer because it is not the answer we expect or want...

Upvote 0

Solomon Smith

Sep 25, 2018
Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
This verse does NOT say that God doesn't answer the prayer of the wicked. It says He DOES answer the prayer of the righteous. the LORD may be "far from the wicked" but His hearing is very good. What counts is the content and attitude of the prayer.

Think of King Manasseh of Judah (2 Chr 33ff, 2 Kings 21). He reigned 55 years, and for most of them "he did evil in the eyes if the LORD, following the detestable practices of the nations the LORD had driven out before the Israelites." After the LORD let him be captured, humiliated and carted off to Babylon, he repented "And when he prayed to Him, the LORD was moved by his entreaty and listened to his plea and He brought him back to Jerusaldm and to his kingdom." (2 Chr 33:13)

In the NT we find that even for believers, our prayers "are not answered," because we don't ask properly. Believers are those who are already righteous in the eyes of God.

I think personally that even here, "not answering" implies not granting the specific request. But the implication is also that God does answer saying something like "Wrong question, dear one," or "Wrong attitude/motivation, my child" or "not now, not in the way you are expecting" or some such.

The bigger question MAY be, that WE are not hearing God's answer because it is not the answer we expect or want...

John 9:31
Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
John 9:31
Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.
They were right, they just had a really messed up completely backward view of who was who and where they were at in that... I don't think God hears you, or doesn't listen to you, or heed you at all, and is not ever swayed by you at least, when your not truly in Christ and Christ is in you...

He is the only way...

But what is the way, (Truth? Love?) that is the question many debate and seem to be in much disagreement about on here, and in the world and in Christian circles...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I believe he listens and answers. In some cases, the answer may be no and in some cases the people don’t hear the answer. :)

Here are few scriptures about this:

This is the boldness which we have toward him, that, if we ask anything according to his will, he listens to us. And if we know that he listens to us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions which we have asked of him.
1 John 5:14-15

You lust, and don't have. You kill, covet, and can't obtain. You fight and make war. You don't have, because you don't ask. You ask, and don't receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it for your pleasures.
James 4:2-3

"Therefore don't be anxious, saying, 'What will we eat?', 'What will we drink?' or, 'With what will we be clothed?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first God's Kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things will be given to you as well.

Matthew 6:31-33

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Jesus said it the best over and over when he taught faith.

With faith, you can do anything and nothing is impossible, if you belive in God and his power and Jesus then what ever you pray for will come to pass.

Just belive it will because God loves you and if he sees your faith he will bless you with anything, even moving mountains.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those who pray to the one and only God, have their prayers heard as they direct their supplication to Him. Those who pray to gods that obviously do not exist do not get heard. Simple.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,233.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them

God is already working in those people before they even move toward Him, because He is drawing them.

Upvote 0