Does God listen to and answer all prayers?

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,540.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, God listens to and answers the prayers of all. The only problem is, most dont know how to pray. Therefore we all pray when we intend not to pray, and dont pray when we are trying to pray.....
The Word of God is quite clear, the Lord will hear only the prayers of those who have made Jesus Christ their Lord and Saviour, and who are genuinely converted to Christ and are living in holiness. The Scripture says, "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me." Every sinner who rejects Christ, even the most religious sinners who are not genuine converted to Christ, can not expect God to have any regard for them at all. God hates sin, and if unconverted sinners retain their sinful ways, their prayers are loathsome to God and He turns His face from them.

The only way an unconverted sinner can pray and expect to be heard is the one who repents of their sinful ways, trusts in Christ as Lord and Saviour, and prays, "Lord, forgive me, a sinner."

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm probably at odds with a lot of people here - But I don't believe God answers/hears any prayers. If he did, then that would make God a biased and cruel God.

Allow me to explain:
WWII - A Christian English soldier prays for his safety - A Christian German soldier prays for his safety.... So what - is God meant to play favourites? If one gets killed and not the other does that mean God likes one soldier, more than another?

A Woman in the USA prays that her sick child with Leukaemia will recover. A woman in Slovenia prays that her sick child with Leukaemia will recover. if one dies but not the other - does that mean he answers some mother's prayers, but not others?

I pray for success in my exams - so what am I thinking here - That God is like - well gee Zoii I wasn't going to ensure you did well in your exams, but now that you've asked - well Ok then, I'll change my mind and make sure you're OK.

Or group prayers - I pray my brother will live - he gets worse - so now the entire church prays - OK why do that. Is God saying.... well I wasn't going to listen to Zoii, but since there's a bunch of you guys asking so nicely....oh OK - I'll change my mind.

I know this isn't what most think here - and I mean no disrespect. But my thoughts on God is that he orchestrates the universe. he's not some entity taking a shopping list of requests, or sits in on my thoughts..... well that's my view anyway.

• Useful
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No

Proverbs 28:9
He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.

John 9:31
Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
John 9:31
Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

Who said this? It wasn't Jesus and it wasn't John. It was John quoting a very sarcastic formerly blind man answering the Pharisees who had taught him this, and who refused to believe the Jesus could be a profet or the Messiah because he healed on the Sabbath. The blind man didn't even know who it was who had healed him. It was precisely this idea that God doesn't hear sinners, that they had got all wrong.

When Jesus found him the second time (9:35) and asked him if he believed in the Son of Man, he answered "Who is he that I should believe him?"

However and moreover, it should be remembered, in dealings to improve relations between God and man IT IS ALWAYS GOD WHO TAKES THE INITIATIVE. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm probably at odds with a lot of people here - But I don't believe God answers/hears any prayers. If he did, then that would make God a biased and cruel God.

Allow me to explain:
WWII - A Christian English soldier prays for his safety - A Christian German soldier prays for his safety.... So what - is God meant to play favourites? If one gets killed and not the other does that mean God likes one soldier, more than another?

A Woman in the USA prays that her sick child with Leukaemia will recover. A woman in Slovenia prays that her sick child with Leukaemia will recover. if one dies but not the other - does that mean he answers some mother's prayers, but not others?

I pray for success in my exams - so what am I thinking here - That God is like - well gee Zoii I wasn't going to ensure you did well in your exams, but now that you've asked - well Ok then, I'll change my mind and make sure you're OK.

Or group prayers - I pray my brother will live - he gets worse - so now the entire church prays - OK why do that. Is God saying.... well I wasn't going to listen to Zoii, but since there's a bunch of you guys asking so nicely....oh OK - I'll change my mind.

I know this isn't what most think here - and I mean no disrespect. But my thoughts on God is that he orchestrates the universe. he's not some entity taking a shopping list of requests, or sits in on my thoughts..... well that's my view anyway.

God answers those prayers that further of the mission of Christ--prayers that have a "business case," as they say in my company.

You didn't list any of those.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Word of God is quite clear, the Lord will hear only the prayers of those who have made Jesus Christ their Lord and Saviour, and who are genuinely converted to Christ and are living in holiness. The Scripture says, "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me." Every sinner who rejects Christ, even the most religious sinners who are not genuine converted to Christ, can not expect God to have any regard for them at all. God hates sin, and if unconverted sinners retain their sinful ways, their prayers are loathsome to God and He turns His face from them.

The only way an unconverted sinner can pray and expect to be heard is the one who repents of their sinful ways, trusts in Christ as Lord and Saviour, and prays, "Lord, forgive me, a sinner."
So you much convert to Christ and make him your lor and savior before Praying to Him (and being heard?)

You mention unconverted sinner a few times. Does this mean that your statements dont how true for converted sinners? If you are converted, you can be a sinner and have your prayers heard?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Allow me to explain:

I liken using prayer to using a firearm. The firearm is powerful and works every time you use it correctly. But you should be trained on how to use it and you should practice in times of peace in a neutral environment. If you go try to use it for the first time in danger, you will most likely fail. Then you will blame the Gun or gun maker for putting the safety on, when you could have learned this on your own with practice beforehand. Your results would be the same as the one who says guns dont work, and therefore never tries to use one.

Prayer should be learned and practiced before times of danger and emotional distress. If we first pick it up during times of emotional distress....we will leave the safety on, and it will appear to not work. Our results, will be the same as those who never use it, stating that it doesnt work.

So you are correct....since you will not use prayer.....God will never answer your prayers...... However, this doesnt mean He cant or he wont for others....

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
He hears the cry of the repentant heart. That is the call for salvation and how we become His people. But He is not hearing the prayer of the unsaved and unrighteous because He is all Holy and cannot be in the presence of sin. After we receive the righteous covering of Christ, Then we access to the Holy of Holies

So God doesn't know what unbelievers are saying/doing?

Most are not taught how to pray, and most assume they are doing it right and therefore, find other reasons for their prayers not being answered....most notably "God answered and His answer was "No"," or "It wasnt His Will."

This sounds very gnostic to me.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe God listens to all prayers and answers them Yes,no,or maybe.

Good Day, Sunshine

I understand what you believe, but the question is on what basis do you believe that is it rooted in Scripture? Is it something you like as it must be true... why do you believe it?

What do you do with Scripture that clearly says other wise...

John 9 :31

We know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and do his will, him he heareth.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure I understand..... Is this like when the pharisees called Jesus a blasphemer? Is this considered a good or a bad word in your opinion? What respond or emotion are you trying to invoke with this statement?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If God listens to all prayers than why does he not answer every prayer? Its because it isn't in his will I can answer the question. God only answers the prayers that are in his will. But what is Gods will?

It only seems like God only answers the prayers of his chosen people. Which would make one think that he only listens to the prayers of his chosen people too. Unless I'm missing something here...

Personally, I think it's just that the world is so very confusingly complex that we fail to understand what God is doing 99% of the time. In my own life I can only name a handful of times I've received a clear answer to a prayer. With that said, the fact that I've had those few answers has taught me that God is listening. I don't need to doubt that part. Additionally, that is why I am eager for the Eucharist - not because God hands out answers to prayer like candy at an Easter parade - but because he does provide continual comfort.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, Sunshine

I understand what you believe, but the question is on what basis do you believe that is it rooted in Scripture? Is it something you like as it must be true... why do you believe it?

What do you do with Scripture that clearly says other wise...

John 9 :31

We know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and do his will, him he heareth.

In Him,

Bill
The bible also states that even if I make my bed in Hell, God is there. Are you of the mind that the person making their bed in hell, may not mean they are in sin?

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Not sure I understand..... Is this like when the pharisees called Jesus a blasphemer? Is this considered a good or a bad word in your opinion? What respond or emotion are you trying to invoke with this statement?

So you're trying to read an insult into my post from the get-go? That's not an encouraging start. It was an honest statement of my impression of your reply.

Gnosticism is about secret knowledge - only a few special people have the secret knowledge to understand how it all works, and you have to do it "right" to get anywhere. The Christianity I know is exactly the opposite. It's not about us doing it right, because we can't. It's about God's gracious intervention in our lives. With respect to prayer that is expressed in Romans 8:26.

But if I've misunderstood you, a simple clarification will set it all right.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With all do respect, God doesn't answer the prayers of the unsaved friend. There is a barrier between them and our all holy God. They must repent and accept Christ and become washed

I think there's a bit more to how God interacts with humanity, or with any one individual, than that which you're implying here.

• Agree
Reactions: Resha Caner
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you're trying to read an insult into my post from the get-go? That's not an encouraging start. It was an honest statement of my impression of your reply.

Gnosticism is about secret knowledge - only a few special people have the secret knowledge to understand how it all works, and you have to do it "right" to get anywhere. The Christianity I know is exactly the opposite. It's not about us doing it right, because we can't. It's about God's gracious intervention in our lives. With respect to prayer that is expressed in Romans 8:26.

But if I've misunderstood you, a simple clarification will set it all right.
Im still confused. Your initial comment made me feel nothing and i assumed nothing and therefore I asked you what your intention was.

Most who just assume insult, would return the insult, or try to defined themselves. I did neither so why do you assume I was insulted?

And what is it that I should clarify? I still not sure if you view the group you put my words in as favorable or not.

Ok tell me this......If you write a statement and someone writes: "This statement sounds pigNewton"

How would you respond, and what would you feel was the purpose of the author writing this singular statement with no additions?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Ok tell me this......If you write a statement and someone writes: "This statement sounds pigNewton"

How would you respond, and what would you feel was the purpose of the author writing this singular statement with no additions?

I do my best not to get wrapped up in guessing people's motivations. I would ask for a definition of "pigNewton". Short and sweet. That you chose instead to equate yourself with Jesus and me with the Pharisees speaks volumes.

"Gnostic" is a ubiquitous term in religious discourse, so it's not as if I pulled out my copy of The Dictionary of Obscure Words. However, since you were unfamiliar with the word, I explained it (at least in part). Whether that makes you feel anything was not my purpose. I was hoping for understanding.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
So God doesn't know what unbelievers are saying/doing?

Of course He does He knows everything. However He only blesses those of His. His children

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I liken using prayer to using a firearm. The firearm is powerful and works every time you use it correctly. But you should be trained on how to use it and you should practice in times of peace in a neutral environment. If you go try to use it for the first time in danger, you will most likely fail. Then you will blame the Gun or gun maker for putting the safety on, when you could have learned this on your own with practice beforehand. Your results would be the same as the one who says guns dont work, and therefore never tries to use one.

Prayer should be learned and practiced before times of danger and emotional distress. If we first pick it up during times of emotional distress....we will leave the safety on, and it will appear to not work. Our results, will be the same as those who never use it, stating that it doesnt work.

So you are correct....since you will not use prayer.....God will never answer your prayers...... However, this doesnt mean He cant or he wont for others....
I don't like your answer - not because you're not genuine in what you say but because:
What you are saying puts the failure for God to answer a prayer back on the person praying eg. I prayed for the life of my son but he died - therefore I must be a lousy Christian not good enough for God to help - Or, according to you, I didn't pray well enough so its all my fault - If I prayed well enough, the cancer in my child would have gone.

Well, I don't accept that. It means, using the example I gave before, that if the English soldier was killed and not the German, then the German soldier was a better Christian or better at praying - Again I do not believe that and in fact, I find it abhorrent to place such guilt on those who suffer a negative outcome

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
So, then, he does hear the prayers of unbelievers ... even those offered up to a false god.

In light of Matt 5:45, what do you mean by blessing?
He hears everything, Yes. He is all knowing

Upvote 0