Does God listen to and answer all prayers?

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Got it, next time I see it, I will just confirm or deny affiliation with said group.....that is if we forget that I said I am not part of any groups.

This reply makes it appear you're not listening. I was about to note that your views are also starting to sound mystical. I find such things helpful because, while I realize all such descriptors fall short, it would make for a useful contrast with my own views. But I don't want you to think I'm accusing you of belonging to the Mystical Church International, so maybe I need to dispense with the use of adjectives.

I think everyone is different...

I can see how this fits with your denial of any affiliation. So do you see any spiritual benefit from associating with Christians?

Next, I would ask, do you think your encounters with God were sufficient for your faith, or did the Bible play a necessary role?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This reply makes it appear you're not listening. I was about to note that your views are also starting to sound mystical. I find such things helpful because, while I realize all such descriptors fall short, it would make for a useful contrast with my own views. But I don't want you to think I'm accusing you of belonging to the Mystical Church International, so maybe I need to dispense with the use of adjectives.
Dont worry about me thinking ill of any of your statement, or finding fault in them. I dont mind letting categorizations slide as well.....they dont bother me. I was confused just as to whether or not you desired a respond, how you felt about the term you used, and what you wanted a response to.

I can see how this fits with your denial of any affiliation. So do you see any spiritual benefit from associating with Christians?
I dont see anything wrong with any group you mentioned.....although I would need to study it more before speaking intelligently about it, but i cant deny the fact that there are similarities in almost all religions...

I do see spiritual benefits in association with Christians and people in general. Some people and Christians offer you lots of praise while others tend to have a lot of ridicule and hate.. They help me learn to guard my heart and mind and gauge my overall level of humility. My goal is to feel the same when I receive Hate, as I do when I receive Love......react to degradation the same as I react to praise. Always esteem others higher than I esteem myself. etc..... My associations help me with these unseen aspects of myself.......the things only God can view.

Next, I would ask, do you think your encounters with God were sufficient for your faith, or did the Bible play a necessary role?
If I understand you correctly........I would say that one can experience God without the bible....and may not be able to truly understand the bible without the experience...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I do see spiritual benefits in association with Christians and people in general.

OK.

If I understand you correctly........I would say that one can experience God without the bible....and may not be able to truly understand the bible without the experience...

I was asking for the specifics of your life, not generalities. But, OK.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Psalms 66:18 is the answer to the title question. I didn't read through the entire thread this time to save time; so I understand that this may have already been said as it is the obvious answer.
What does it mean to "regard iniquity" though...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK.

I was asking for the specifics of your life, not generalities. But, OK.
I was religious all my life....I was the Pharisee. I knew and heard the scripture for decades. So when the Spirit of truth came....I called it Blasphemy. Then I went atop my wall of doctrines and knowledge of mans wisdom....and sat there, preaching it to those below me.....those who werent as holy as I therefore needed me to give them the truth......"please do not talk back," i said, "listen to me and believe only, thou ignorant and unlearned ones."

Then I became humpty dumpty. Truth said, not one stone on this wall will be left standing one upon another, which shall not be cast down... There I lay at the bottom, cracked open.....

To be continued.......

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible also states that even if I make my bed in Hell, God is there. Are you of the mind that the person making their bed in hell, may not mean they are in sin?

The Psalm says:

If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.

Consistent reading of scripture reveals that Sheol means "grave" or "death," not the final judgment of eternal damnation.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them

God is already working in those people before they even move toward Him, because He is drawing them.
True

• Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Psalm says:

If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.

Consistent reading of scripture reveals that Sheol means "grave" or "death," not the final judgment of eternal damnation.
Do you believe this verse states that God is there with the dead, or there in the grave?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I was religious all my life....I was the Pharisee. I knew and heard the scripture for decades. So when the Spirit of truth came....I called it Blasphemy. Then I went atop my wall of doctrines and knowledge of mans wisdom....and sat there, preaching it to those below me.....those who werent as holy as I therefore needed me to give them the truth......"please do not talk back," i said, "listen to me and believe only, thou ignorant and unlearned ones."

Then I became humpty dumpty. Truth said, not one stone on this wall will be left standing one upon another, which shall not be cast down... There I lay at the bottom, cracked open.....

To be continued.......
Romans 7:24-25

O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

1 Timothy 1:15

This is a faithful saying, (the truth) and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief (among you)...

Without getting to and/or starting or ever starting from this point, in or at any point in your life, your faith, life, and power and testimony (witness) will be weak and small and insignificant, to say the least...

I think your in great, wonderful spot... Glory road is ahead brother... Not your own glory, but the glory God gives you by, and/or for, bringing glory to him... As a sinner Saved by Grace through Faith and not by (your own) works... Lest you should boast, (or be proud or arrogant)...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
The Psalm says:

People are motivated to deny the existence of hell primarily because they know that they are guilty and unforgiven; and do not want to believe in the reality of it because of that.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People are motivated to deny the existence of hell primarily because they know that they are guilty and unforgiven; and do not want to believe in the reality of it because of that.

I'm not denying that there is a final judgment to eternal damnation, I'm saying that this particular verse of Psalm 139 does not refer to that. It refers to the grave, temporary death before the final judgment.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe this verse states that God is there with the dead, or there in the grave?

Where did Jesus go while in the tomb? When Jesus spoke of the poor man Lazarus being in the bosom of Abraham, where might omnipresent God have been then? Would He not have been with Abraham in some way? Clearly God heard the conversation between the rich man and Abraham.

• Informative
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,549.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So you much convert to Christ and make him your lor and savior before Praying to Him (and being heard?)

You mention unconverted sinner a few times. Does this mean that your statements dont how true for converted sinners? If you are converted, you can be a sinner and have your prayers heard?
My definition of an unconverted sinner is one who as either rejected Christ in favour of their favourite sin, or a professing believer who is trying to have Christ and his sin as well. Another word for that person is "hypocrite". He is a person who behaves one way at church and quite another at home or among his friends.

A genuinely converted Christian is a person who has given his or her whole life to Christ, hates his own sinfulness and prays constantly to be set free from sinful habit patterns, and every time his flesh gets the better of him, he runs to Christ for mercy, forgiveness and cleansing.

A hypocrite is someone who appears to be saintly at church in front of other Christians, but has hidden envy, lust, jealousy, contention, hate, resentment, bitterness, etc in his heart. He spends little time in private prayer, although he prays great prayers in public. He makes a big deal about knowing the Bible but does not practice what it tells him to do in his personal life. His religion is such to be seen of others for their approval and praise, but when he is on his own with no one to impress, he turns into the devil that he is naturally. Those are the signs of a professing Christian who is not yet converted to Christ.

• Informative
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Good Day, Sunshine

I understand what you believe, but the question is on what basis do you believe that is it rooted in Scripture? Is it something you like as it must be true... why do you believe it?

What do you do with Scripture that clearly says other wise...

John 9 :31

We know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and do his will, him he heareth.

In Him,

Bill

Answering prayers and God allowing things in someones life are two different things.
God does allow us to go through things and sometimes chooses not to heal us,so he can be seen through our disabilities or illnesses.

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I'm not denying that there is a final judgment to eternal damnation, I'm saying that this particular verse of Psalm 139 does not refer to that. It refers to the grave, temporary death before the final judgment.
You are only helping people who want to deny it to do so by interpreting it that way.

The correct way to interpret Sheol is that it is hell.

Now we know that there used to be a place called Abraham's bosom in Sheol and that it was not a place of torment. But when Jesus led captivity captive, He took the righteous to heaven out of Sheol. So now all that is left of that place is hell; because the righteous compartment has been emptied out. And also, since Christ came, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, for believers.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are only helping people who want to deny it to do so by interpreting it that way.

The correct way to interpret Sheol is that it is hell.

Now we know that there used to be a place called Abraham's bosom in Sheol and that it was not a place of torment. But when Jesus led captivity captive, He took the righteous to heaven out of Sheol. So now all that is left of that place is hell; because the righteous compartment has been emptied out. And also, since Christ came, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, for believers.

That Psalm is being sung by a believer. That believer is saying that God will be wherever he is. When believers were in Sheol before Christ "took captivity captive," God was there with them.

If you study the words translated as "hell" in the KJV New Testament, you find that there are actually three different words: Hades, Gehenna, and Tartarus. They refer, respectively, to "the grave," "final condemnation," and "the abyss."

More modern translations equate Gehenna to "hellfire." When you place it into scriptural context, wherever the word Gehenna is used, it clearly means eternal damnation.

Hades
is a Greek term that the Greeks already understood to be a shadowy place where the dead resided as though in prison, and the New Testament writers co-opted the word as a temporary state of the dead prior to resurrection. Wherever Hades is used, it clearly means the temporary period before the final judgment.

The term Tartarus is used only once. The Greeks already knew of Tartarus as a special place prepared to imprison spiritual beings, and that is how it's used in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As for sinners? Is it not written "Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth." "But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you so that he does not hear."

"The Lord is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayer of the righteous.""if I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened." Many more..

Now those that love Him.. He hears you and answers you before you finish your prayer. And you have not because you ask not or asked wrong. If we know He hears us then we know we have the petitions we asked for. His WORD is HIS WILL.. and if you doubt? Then let not that man think he will get anything from God.

His WORD is far above our FEELINGS

Upvote 0