United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi I’ve been researching Calvinism, Arminianism etc the last while. A lot of studious christians seem to lean towards Calvinism. If Calvinism is true does that mean I could potentially be unsavable. No matter how hard I try I can’t be saved if I weren’t one of the elect?

Last edited:

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi I’ve been researching Calvinism, Arminianism etc the last while. A lot of studious christians seem to lean towards Calvinism. If Calvinism is true does that mean I could potentially be unsalable. No matter how hard I try I can’t be saved if I weren’t one of the elect?
Don't worry.
If (double) predestination is true, still nobody knows who is 'elect' except God.

• Agree
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No matter how hard I try I can’t be saved if I weren’t one of the elect?

You wouldn't even try
if God wasn't calling you.

Don't fall back
lean forward

M

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You wouldn't even try

Don't fall back
lean forward

M
It's okay to fall back a few times.
Gives you time to catch your breath, reconsider things and freshly lean forward again.

Upvote 0

Emsmom1

Nov 6, 2019
Los Angeles
✟41,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You wouldn't even try

Don't fall back
lean forward

M
I struggle with the same question as the OP. Mountain Bob says "You wouldn't even try if God wasn't calling you." I want to believe this but how do we know it is true? Because I know people who have sought God and have not found Him (or found another "god" like the Mormon god).

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's okay to fall back a few times.
Gives you time to catch your breath, reconsider things and freshly lean forward again.

True, repentance ( Repent)
should have been my middle name.
M

• Haha
Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No matter how hard I try I can’t be saved if I weren’t one of the elect?
Trying is not what gets a person saved.

Our Apostle Paul talks about "we" "who first trusted in Christ", in Ephesians 1:12.

God knows if you care.

This is personal, not only a studious theoretical item.

Instead of trying to get God or people to answer to you and explain to you, first answer to God in prayer, offer yourself for all that God pleases to do with you, and trust Him who is good and who is "love" (in 1 John 4:8-16).

And read and feed on His word, about all which is involved in living as a child of God.

And we are praying for you. We have hope for you; Jesus on the cross died with hope for any and all people.

• Agree
Reactions: ldonjohn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I struggle with the same question as the OP. Mountain Bob says "You wouldn't even try if God wasn't calling you." I want to believe this but how do we know it is true? Because I know people who have sought God and have not found Him (or found another "god" like the Mormon god).

Pray and study the Word.

Believe in the Word as it tells us to be anxious for nothing. Maybe a good starting point for you?

Even though I've be a believer for a very long time often I still say this simple prayer --
Lord please have mercy on me a sinner.

M

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Since Jesus is God then he would know the elect too surely. Why on earth did he preach to the world to turn away from their sin and believe in Him if they weren’t saveable.
That’s a different topic from your OP. But the answer is that He hates sin.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know people who have sought God and have not found Him
You seek Him by submitting to Him. If they submitted to God, they found Him. They say that what they did did not work; so, I consider that what they did does not work.

I think I have seen how people can claim to seek God, but they rig things. They can have loaded questions, plus have requirements of what God has to do to meet their terms.

"Therefore submit to God." (in James 4:7)

And our basic calling includes >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

So, in case someone claims to be a Christian, but he or she does not personally submit to how our Father rules us in His own peace - - - a basic of Christianity and our calling > "in one body" > is that we submit to how our Father personally rules every one of us in His own peace . . . in our "hearts" . . . not from some distance just smiling at us while we live like a mess.

So, God is so ready to so personally share with us!! Trust Him to prove Himself in you, then enjoy how His peace has you seeing things.

• Useful
Reactions: Emsmom1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personally i'm not certain that i'm saved either.
But i trust God makes perfect decisions, that He is just and that his Will be done.
It's God's Show, not mine. He decides.
If i'm not saved i will eventually cease to exist, like it was(n't) before i was born.
Maybe that's a lukewarm attitude, which is not what God desires.
But i haven't got a volume knob to turn up my faith to 100%.

Reactions: WDSobieski
Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personally i'm not certain that i'm saved either.
But i trust God makes perfect decisions, that He is just and that his Will be done.
It's God's Show, not mine. He decides.
If i'm not saved i will eventually cease to exist, like it was(n't) before i was born.
Maybe that's a lukewarm attitude, which is not what God desires.
But i haven't got a volume knob to turn up my faith to 100%.
What about hell

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What if I wasn’t picked?

pick another question!

I not understand.
I mean that Jesus died on the cross for our sins. So, instead of asking if you were not picked, ask Jesus what He wants to do with you. And thank Him. And trust Him.

Jesus did not suffer and die like that, so you would think about if you weren't picked, but so you appreciate and love and honor Him for coming to this earth in order to reach us and share with us and save us from our sins so we can spend eternity with God and one another as His family.

And this is possible with God who is able to change us to how He has us loving, including caring about others as well as we care about our own selves.

This is what needs to have our attention.

And so, we can be asking, "What do You want to do with me?"

And if we get into a major trouble, do this > instead of trying to get God to answer to us, answer to God >

"What do You want me to do?"

And trust Him.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.