United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I mean that Jesus died on the cross for our sins. So, instead of asking if you were not picked, ask Jesus what He wants to do with you. And thank Him. And trust Him.

Jesus did not suffer and die like that, so you would think about if you weren't picked, but so you appreciate and love and honor Him for coming to this earth in order to reach us and share with us and save us from our sins so we can spend eternity with God and one another as His family.

And this is possible with God who is able to change us to how He has us loving, including caring about others as well as we care about our own selves.

This is what needs to have our attention.

And so, we can be asking, "What do You want to do with me?"

And if we get into a major trouble, do this > instead of trying to get God to answer to us, answer to God >

"What do You want me to do?"

And trust Him.
I’ve never felt saved. So when people say only the elect can be saved then it could possibly make you wonder.

• Agree
Reactions: Emsmom1
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi I’ve been researching Calvinism, Arminianism etc the last while. A lot of studious christians seem to lean towards Calvinism. If Calvinism is true does that mean I could potentially be unsavable. No matter how hard I try I can’t be saved if I weren’t one of the elect?
No, it means whosoever believes will be saved.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’ve never felt saved. So when people say only the elect can be saved then it could possibly make you wonder.
The only thing we might/should feel is our sin.
Whoever comes to Christ in repentant faith, asking for forgiveness, would be one of the elect.

Upvote 0

Emsmom1

Nov 6, 2019
Los Angeles
✟41,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
No, it means whosoever believes will be saved.
Okay, but what does "believe" really mean? Isn't there a verse that says even the demons believe? And what about, say, Mormons? They believe Jesus died and rose again; their theology is different, of course, but they do believe that.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, thank you for telling us such a personal thing. You can pray and trust God now to do what He really wants to do with you. And read and feed on what His word says He does with His children, and ask and trust Him to do this.

By the way, there are people who say faith is not a feeling but trusting.

But I offer > if you submit to God, you will feel being with God. For example, you will feel the difference of being personally ruled by God's own peace in your heart. Part of our basic calling > "in one body" > as Christians, is we submit to how our Heavenly Father personally rules each of us > in our "hearts" < very personal, indeed >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

And we refuse to obey the cruel and soul-hating things like fear and worry and lusts to use people for pleasure, and frustration and unforgiveness > we certainly feel these!! And God's peace will put away such horrible things, and we feel this, indeed, but because it is a reality and not only a feeling.

This peace is not only a feeling, then, but this peace is God in His harmony (peace) of His own almighty power ruling us in our hearts and minds. This peace almighty protects us from fear and worry and hurry and boredom and loneliness and other cruel things which are not His love. But also, we are with God in His creativity for how to love any and all people in this peace of God who is creative and all-loving.

And I will offer you . . . yes we feel Him, but God is quiet. He is never silent, but quiet; so if you let noisy and nasty things in you get the better of you, you can't experience sharing quietly with God. But in His love we are in His love's "gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (in 1 Peter 3:4)

So, while we are quiet in His love, we experience sharing with Him while He feels and experiences enjoying how we are gentle and quiet with Him.

So we are wise to simply trust Him to change us so we are sharing with Him and submitting to Him, like this.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, but what does "believe" really mean? Isn't there a verse that says even the demons believe? And what about, say, Mormons? They believe Jesus died and rose again; their theology is different, of course, but they do believe that.
I assume we are speaking of the Jesus of Scripture foretold from the Hebrew Prophets.
BTW, what does your question have to do with the OP?
No debating allowed in this section.

Upvote 0

Emsmom1

Nov 6, 2019
Los Angeles
✟41,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I assume we are speaking of the Jesus of Scripture foretold from the Hebrew Prophets.
BTW, what does your question have to do with the OP?
No debating allowed in this section.
Sorry; I wasn't trying to debate. It seemed apropos to the discussion of being saved, but if not, I apologize.

• Friendly
Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Since Jesus is God then he would know the elect too surely. Why on earth did he preach to the world to turn away from their sin and believe in Him if they weren’t saveable.
Exactly. This is why I hate to see people in torment over Calvinism. To say it's counterproductive is not nearly strong enough.

"Whosoever will", says John 3.16. Come as a child, as Jesus said. Even the writer of Hebrews, who wrote some of the strongest stuff in the Bible, ends up saying that it pleases God when we trust in both His ability and desire to save us (Heb 11:6).

God wants you saved. Try not to waste a moment believing otherwise.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay, but what does "believe" really mean?
First, we mean believing in the real Jesus and how Jesus really is. And demons do not feed on how Jesus is "gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30) There attention is elsewhere.

So, true believing includes our attention being to all which God's words guarantees about Jesus and guarantees that our Father does with us. And with such believing comes trusting.

If you really believe your house is on fire and you can't get down the stairs but there is a firefighter and ladder at your bedroom window, your believing means you are leaving and then getting down to where you can be with ones who have put their lives on the line to rescue you.

And Jesus left Heaven itself in order to come to us and personally reach us and share with us and rescue us from this evil world and from our own sins. And God changes a person into how His love is, so we can share with Jesus by being like Him and loving the way He has us find out how to love.

So, you can read the scriptures and see all which comes with believing. When a child believes a parent, there is trust and intimate sharing warmly, but also correction so the child can grow up to become a sound person who knows how to love, so then they can know Mommy and Daddy, by being mature and sound in how to love, like Mommy and Daddy are. Likewise, our Father brings us up to know Him by becoming caring and loving like our Father and Jesus. And His word gives us all which we need to feed on, believing Him in prayer to do this all with us.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emsmom1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi I’ve been researching Calvinism, Arminianism etc the last while. A lot of studious christians seem to lean towards Calvinism. If Calvinism is true does that mean I could potentially be unsavable. No matter how hard I try I can’t be saved if I weren’t one of the elect?
Key word in your post is "studious". None of the Apostles of Jesus Christ of Nazareth fit that description. As a matter of fact He said you must be like a child in order to be in the Kingdom of God. So lay down those doctrines of men and follow your Lord as innocently as you can while remaining steadfast in His truth. The Holy Spirit will lead you in the right direction.
Be blessed and stay healthy!

Upvote 0

Emsmom1

Nov 6, 2019
Los Angeles
✟41,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
“For God so loved the *world*”

How could God love the world but at the same time predestine some to everlasting torment?

Well, not all Christians believe that (that He predestines people to everlasting torment).

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What if the entire world asks God to save them?

Very, very simple answer
they won't.

Just another example where we should trust in the Bible for it states, many are going to the very hot place.

M

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Calvinism is a small minority belief system among christians.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, ... that WHOSOEVER believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

For WHOSOEVER shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Romans 10:13

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What if I wasn’t picked?
That is why Calvinism is a flawed doctrine. On one hand they claim it is God alone who elects those whom he chooses to salvation. Yet they also claim that those who come in faith to God will not be denied. They can't have it both ways.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For WHOSOEVER shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Romans 10:13

I know of a few that have made that claim but,
sure seem to be heading in the wrong direction?

More to it I think?

M

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

No, it doesn't mean that.

Calvinists agree that "everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What are you going to believe ... your judgment ... or God ?

Remember, he will tell some he never knew them.

Not about my judgment.
Obviously, you don’t know me
or my thoughts regarding this subject.
M

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Since Jesus is God then he would know the elect too surely. Why on earth did he preach to the world to turn away from their sin and believe in Him if they weren’t saveable.

Salvation is offered to all as a gift ... you have to accept the gift tho ... sincerely accept Jesus as your Lord and savior then learn about Him through the His word and begin a new life in Him.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.