Does anyone have any hope of changing peoples minds about Trump?

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,904.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'm not implying you could be being manipulated by Trump. What if you're being manipulated by others?
Well then the question becomes a bit "Occam's Razory".

IS it likely that hundreds if not thousands of individuals are working on one focussed effort to manipulate me? Let me tell you: As a teacher, I do not believe that a group of thousands would be able to pull that off. If you've ever been part of a group project, you'd know the likelihood of success of that is slim to none.

Is it likely One person with a penchant for lying, is continuing to lie? And then that people are believing his lies? Yes. That is a likely endevour that I have seen happen before.

So back to you:
What if YOU are being manipulated by Trump?
Oh, hard for you to explain?
Nope. Just not interested enough in it. If you are, feel free.

It is if you force them.
Wait. So if someone you cared about, say a child of yours, gets involved in a "dangerous cult" (like say, I don't know, the Manson Family for example) you would not bother to try to help escape that cult because it's their right to be there?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,904.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
And which point was that?
Well you got me there. Looking back, you don't really seem to be presenting a specific counter point. You're just unsuccessfully trying to undermine mine by asking"suggestive" questions.

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well then the question becomes a bit "Occam's Razory".

IS it likely that hundreds if not thousands of individuals are working on one focussed effort to manipulate me? Let me tell you: As a teacher, I do not believe that a group of thousands would be able to pull that off. If you've ever been part of a group project, you'd know the likelihood of success of that is slim to none.

Is it likely One person with a penchant for lying, is continuing to lie? And then that people are believing his lies? Yes. That is a likely endevour that I have seen happen before.

So back to you:
What if YOU are being manipulated by Trump?
Nope. Just not interested enough in it. If you are, feel free.

Wait. So if someone you cared about, say a child of yours, gets involved in a "dangerous cult" (like say, I don't know, the Manson Family for example) you would not bother to try to help escape that cult because it's their right to be there?
I never said it was thousands. Where did you get that idea?
Now to your question. How do I know I am not being manipulated by Trump? Because I don't view him as a savior, like some do. I take everything he says with a grain of salt, like I do for everyone, unless I personally know and trust them. I like Trump, because many of his views line up with mine, and he fights for them. But I don't blindly follow him. He does and says things I don't agree with. The only "person" you could say I blindly follow is Jesus Christ. I will follow whatever Jesus says without questioning. I always question Trump, just like I do everyone else.

So you're not interested in one of the methods of deprogramming you advocated? Okay.

You are misunderstanding me. I'm not saying I wouldn't try to get them out. I would. But I will not force them. The choice must be theirs. God always gives us a choice, and I believe we must do the same.

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you worked with dilusional people? I have.

It's necessary.
I have talked with them. I don't know if that's considered working with them.
I still believe it isn't necessary.
But maybe we are referring to different things. Could you make your case again for what is necessary and why it is?

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well you got me there. Looking back, you don't really seem to be presenting a specific counter point. You're just unsuccessfully trying to undermine mine by asking"suggestive" questions.
Okay. And?

• Haha
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,904.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I never said it was thousands. Where did you get that idea?
1) Never said it was. Because your question was SO vague, I filled in my own details. Feel free to ask FAR more pointed questions to get a more specific answer.
2) If the entire "msm" is manipulating me, and if all the climate scientists, and all the doctors and epidemiologists, and FBI agents, ALL those people Trump tried to demonize, were doing the same. That is likely considerably MORE than thousands. But even JUST the MSM, there could be thousands too.

Now to your question. How do I know I am not being manipulated by Trump? Because I don't view him as a savior, like some do. I take everything he says with a grain of salt, like I do for everyone, unless I personally know and trust them. I like Trump, because many of his views line up with mine, and he fights for them. But I don't blindly follow him. He does and says things I don't agree with. The only "person" you could say I blindly follow is Jesus Christ. I will follow whatever Jesus says without questioning. I always question Trump, just like I do everyone else.

I would posit that "just because you don't view him as a savior" it does not, alone mean you aren't being manipulated. That attitude certainly makes it MORE likely that you would be manipulated but it isn't necessary to be manipulated.

On the other hand, you it may just mean you are being manipulated unsuccessfully because "you are willing to question him". Now, I don't know what that looks like on a day to day because I can't recall how you reacted to the particularly egregious examples of gaslighting Trump participated in. I also haven't heard how you justify his tens of thousands of lies he's told throughout his presidency.

So you're not interested in one of the methods of deprogramming you advocated? Okay.
Uhmmm....you may need to help me out. Sorry: What method of "deprogramming" did I advocate and could you quote me? BEcause I did write.....
Post 174 I think....I wrote:
To be clear, I'm not necessarily keen on "deprogramming" the way it has been presented in terms of it being forceful.
You are misunderstanding me. I'm not saying I wouldn't try to get them out. I would. But I will not force them. The choice must be theirs. God always gives us a choice, and I believe we must do the same.
Okay. Fair enough. I feel I understand you better now
Depending on the danger, I would take some pretty big steps. I would absolutely kidnap my kid and drive very very far away to deal with them FAR away from the problem.
I think the idea of "force them" can mean very different things. I can't FORCE someone to change their mind, but I can provide a forced context that makes it more likely they will change their mind.

Personally, I think those two situations are very different.

I have talked with them. I don't know if that's considered working with them.
I still believe it isn't necessary.
But maybe we are referring to different things. Could you make your case again for what is necessary and why it is?
So on one occasion, we had a client who was going through a terrible time. He was convinced that there were people who in the basement who wanted to kill him (spoiler: There wasn't anyone down there). Because he believed they were down there, we went down with him (though he only made it to the bottom of the stairs). I went through the 3 basement rooms with him being able to see into each room. He could see (like me) that nobody was there.
And yet he was certain someone was there.

In this case, what would be the SHARED accepted facts of the matter would be that there was nobody in the basement based on our shared observation. He SAW it. I SAW it. We both saw who was there (nobody) but he was STILL convinced someone there was going to kill him.

If we can't agree that there is nobody in the basement based on our shared observation, how can I convince him that there was nobody there (let ALONE somebody there who was trying to kill him)? I cannot. His dilusions have a stronger hold on him than what his senses (reality) were telling him.

I hope that is a little clearer.
Okay. And?
I don't know. I was replying to you?

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1) Never said it was. Because your question was SO vague, I filled in my own details. Feel free to ask FAR more pointed questions to get a more specific answer.
2) If the entire "msm" is manipulating me, and if all the climate scientists, and all the doctors and epidemiologists, and FBI agents, ALL those people Trump tried to demonize, were doing the same. That is likely considerably MORE than thousands. But even JUST the MSM, there could be thousands too.

I would posit that "just because you don't view him as a savior" it does not, alone mean you aren't being manipulated. That attitude certainly makes it MORE likely that you would be manipulated but it isn't necessary to be manipulated.

On the other hand, you it may just mean you are being manipulated unsuccessfully because "you are willing to question him". Now, I don't know what that looks like on a day to day because I can't recall how you reacted to the particularly egregious examples of gaslighting Trump participated in. I also haven't heard how you justify his tens of thousands of lies he's told throughout his presidency.

Uhmmm....you may need to help me out. Sorry: What method of "deprogramming" did I advocate and could you quote me? BEcause I did write.....
Post 174 I think....I wrote:

Okay. Fair enough. I feel I understand you better now
Depending on the danger, I would take some pretty big steps. I would absolutely kidnap my kid and drive very very far away to deal with them FAR away from the problem.
I think the idea of "force them" can mean very different things. I can't FORCE someone to change their mind, but I can provide a forced context that makes it more likely they will change their mind.

Personally, I think those two situations are very different.

So on one occasion, we had a client who was going through a terrible time. He was convinced that there were people who in the basement who wanted to kill him (spoiler: There wasn't anyone down there). Because he believed they were down there, we went down with him (though he only made it to the bottom of the stairs). I went through the 3 basement rooms with him being able to see into each room. He could see (like me) that nobody was there.
And yet he was certain someone was there.

In this case, what would be the SHARED accepted facts of the matter would be that there was nobody in the basement based on our shared observation. He SAW it. I SAW it. We both saw who was there (nobody) but he was STILL convinced someone there was going to kill him.

If we can't agree that there is nobody in the basement based on our shared observation, how can I convince him that there was nobody there (let ALONE somebody there who was trying to kill him)? I cannot. His dilusions have a stronger hold on him than what his senses (reality) were telling him.

I hope that is a little clearer.
I don't know. I was replying to you?
I'm not referring to anyone or anything in particular. You keep thinking I'm referring to the media or something, but I'm not. All I'm asking is, you say we are being manipulated.
How do you know that you are not being manipulated by someone or something, no specifics?

As you read, I'm sure you saw that the fact that I don't see Trump as a savior is not my only reason for believing I am not being manipulated. Obviously, I can't really give you concrete evidence. But I am confident that I am in full control of myself, my thoughts, and my actions, and I am confident that no one is controlling me. I won't let that confidence turn to arrogance of course. I've been manipulated before, so I know it can happen. Thankfully, nothing harmful came of the situation, but I learned a lot, and that's a big reason I'm confident I'm not being manipulated. There's other reasons too, but not ones I think I can explain adequately.

You said something about exit counseling, but when I asked what it was, you didn't seem to want to explain.

As far as your example about the guy who thought there was people in his basement trying to kill him, I see the point you are trying to make, but I still don't think I I agree. I've heard of people coming out of situations like that; in fact I knew one. That case sounds like schizophrenia to me, or some other mental problem.

I don't know. We've gone back and forth about a lot of things.

• Agree
Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,904.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'm not referring to anyone or anything in particular. You keep thinking I'm referring to the media or something, but I'm not. All I'm asking is, you say we are being manipulated.
How do you know that you are not being manipulated by someone or something, no specifics?

As you read, I'm sure you saw that the fact that I don't see Trump as a savior is not my only reason for believing I am not being manipulated. Obviously, I can't really give you concrete evidence. But I am confident that I am in full control of myself, my thoughts, and my actions, and I am confident that no one is controlling me. I won't let that confidence turn to arrogance of course. I've been manipulated before, so I know it can happen. Thankfully, nothing harmful came of the situation, but I learned a lot, and that's a big reason I'm confident I'm not being manipulated. There's other reasons too, but not ones I think I can explain adequately.

You said something about exit counseling, but when I asked what it was, you didn't seem to want to explain.

As far as your example about the guy who thought there was people in his basement trying to kill him, I see the point you are trying to make, but I still don't think I I agree. I've heard of people coming out of situations like that; in fact I knew one. That case sounds like schizophrenia to me, or some other mental problem.

I don't know. We've gone back and forth about a lot of things.
Fair enough. For me. It has more to do with who a person chooses to trust as an information source. News, people organizations. But really if you want to understand someone go to what they say. My displeasure of trump is not because of news sources.

Trump has simply not demonstrated truth telling behaviours. Far moreso than the average human person. EVEN the average politician.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fair enough. For me. It has more to do with who a person chooses to trust as an information source. News, people organizations. But really if you want to understand someone go to what they say. My displeasure of trump is not because of news sources.

Trump has simply not demonstrated truth telling behaviours. Far moreso than the average human person. EVEN the average politician.
It all depends on your worldview, your perspective, and who you ask. Something seen as a lie by some is not seen as a lie by others.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It all depends on your worldview, your perspective, and who you ask. Something seen as a lie by some is not seen as a lie by others.
An untruth isn’t always a “lie”, though.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If it isn't the truth, how is it not a lie?
If the intention is not to mislead the listener, it's a mistake rather than a lie. And sometimes, it isn't even a mistake. It could be sarcasm or slang being misrepresented by a listener.

If a "lie" actually were any erroneous statement, however unintentional and/or insignificant it might be, I could point to thousands of "lies" posted on these forums each week.

And in case there is any question about it, Trump's sworn enemies -- the people who come up with stuff like "Trump has told 15,659 lies" -- not only need to get a life but they also aren't keeping track of lies.

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If the intention is not to mislead the listener, it's a mistake rather than a lie.

If a "lie" actually were any erroneous statement, however unintentional and/or insignificant it might be, I could point to thousands of "lies" posted on these forums each week.

And in case there is any question about it, Trump's sworn enemies -- the people who come up with stuff like "Trump has told 15,659 lies" -- not only need to get a life but they also aren't keeping track of lies.
True. I was thinking in terms of a lie being told to mislead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,435.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Isn't that part of the issue though? If someone thinks something is a lie, and can demonstrate how it is untrue, but the other side is unwilling or unable to see the data and change their mind, how can we reach common ground?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,904.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
No.
Trump IS a liar. Objective reality and fact checking exposes that.

What you choose to do with that information is 100% up to you. But in my opinion it ALSO speaks to whether you are being manipulated/gaslit.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,904.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Even if those aren't all lies, they are all not true.

Having a president that is wrong so often should not REALLY be that much more comforting.

Upvote 0