• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Does anyone have any hope of changing peoples minds about Trump?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by perplexed, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Under One King

Under One King Well-Known Member

+573
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Yes, that will work. You and I both believe it is a fact that the earth is an oblate spheroid. But others believe it is a fact that the earth is flat. Only one of these is truly a fact. But since some believe that it is, and some believe that it isn't, it gets debated. Not debated in the sense that the fact could change, because if it's a true fact, it can't. But it still gets debated. This is what I mean when I say that facts and data are debatable.

2. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+9,296
    Agnostic
    Married
    I think I understand. You are not stating that the facts are debatable per se but that people might have an incorrect understanding of what the facts are and so wish to debate based off a mistaken idea of the data. Is that correct?

3. Under One King

+573
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Pretty much, yes. Obviously, a real fact isn't going to be debatable in the sense that the fact could actually change or is ___(I can't think of the word). But for almost everything out there that people call a fact, whether it actually is or not, there will always be someone to debate it.

4. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+25,137
    Agnostic
    Single
    Agreed -- but what separates a fact from an opinion (at least in my opinion), is that a fact can be exclusively and objectively proven to be true. What happens, then, who someone debating a fact is presented with this proof and yet persists in believing in their own error?

5. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+12,030
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    But can they continue to believe the lie once they realize that it is a lie?

6. TLK Valentine

+25,137
    Agnostic
    Single
    But they don't "realize" it's a lie because they refuse to.

Some people are simply too proud to ever admit an error. Others are too insecure -- they believe that admitting an error is a sign of weakness, and they're afraid of ever looking "weak."

7. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+9,296
    Agnostic
    Married
    or is ___

Immutable?

8. Under One King

+573
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    The thing is, the proof is usually debatable. Take the round vs. flat earth example. Those of us who believe the earth is an oblate spheroid would cite proof that it is a fact that the earth is such. But those who believe in a flat earth will debate that proof, and thus the fact, and will cite their own proof for a flat earth, which is then debated by the others.

9. Under One King

+573
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    In a way, I believe you can. You can put truth deep down in your heart, and refuse to see things, even though, deep down, you know the truth.

10. Under One King

+573
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Not the word I was thinking of. It's on the tip of my tongue, I just can't place it.

11. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+3,981
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Learning how to be w, wr, wro, wrong, is the often first step to growth.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Pommer

+3,981
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    You’re trying to use “truth” in two differing ways here without defining each case, no wonder you’re having trouble.

13. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,234
    Atheist
    Private
    Lots of people have changed their minds concerning Trump; just keep in mind change goes both ways.

14. Under One King

+573
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    No I'm not, you're just misunderstanding me. When I say they put the truth deep down in their heart, I am meaning that they suppress it. They refuse to acknowledge it, but deep down, they know.

15. Pommer

+3,981
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Gimme an example.

16. Under One King

+573
    United States
    Christian
    Single
  17. TLK Valentine

+25,137
    Agnostic
    Single
    True, when the proof doesn't support them, they'll attack the proof.

In the "round vs. flat Earth" case, one could, for example, simply ask an astronaut, who will invariably say, "Yep, it's round; I checked."

The flat-Earther will accuse the astronaut of lying rather than admit defeat. Want some real fun? Ask them why the astronaut is lying...

18. TLK Valentine

+25,137
    Agnostic
    Single
    ...and the hardest.

19. TLK Valentine

+25,137
    Agnostic
    Single
    Only "both"? Change goes every which way.