Does anyone have any hope of changing peoples minds about Trump?

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's painfully obvious. An absolute right to anything would lead to anarchy.
Ringo
The rights someone has end when they impose on the rights of another. Deprogramming is imposing on the rights of another.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The assumption is that both you and that other person are able to agree on an undeniable set of facts that third/forth and fifth parties (or that physical evidence) can confirm as necessary.

When soldiers were kidnapped by the Japanese or Vietcong and brainwashed into falling for their cause, would it have been appropriate for the US army to attempt to deprogram them from brainwashing?

What about Stolkholm Syndrome?
And might I ask exactly what do you mean by deprogram people? Tell us in your opinion what that should involved.

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The first thing you do when dealing with the kind of people Ringo referred to is not as you say, to try and convince them to change their minds.
Before you attempt that you first need to try and convince them to seek psychiatric help.
But they might think you are the one who needs the help.

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh, I very much have the right to force them to change in my above example, and if you don't think the police do, you would be completely wrong.
You may be misunderstanding me. I'm not saying they have the right to actually do that. Obviously, they don't. If they do, they get the law thrown at them, because murder is wrong. But they have the right to choose to believe that it's okay to do. You can't force people to make choices. You can, but it's not right. What's the point of a choice if you can't even choose? I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here, even if you don't agree.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump supporters find me tedious but I have not given up hope I am just trying to work out how to get a conversation started.
You don't have to tho -- people change their own minds, as they learn more things. Also, I've learned another helpful thing, that when someone argues contentiously with someone, it tends to only make them get defensive and find ways to justify and rationalize, which is getting stuck (in that viewpoint, making it less open to seeing clearly). We don't want anyone to get stuck, therefore I try not to participate in contentiousness if the argument seems contentious. Ideally I think we'd ask questions and listen a lot, instead of arguing. If someone can express their view without getting defensive, then that expressing allows them to get unstuck.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The assumption is that both you and that other person are able to agree on an undeniable set of facts that third/forth and fifth parties (or that physical evidence) can confirm as necessary.

When soldiers were kidnapped by the Japanese or Vietcong and brainwashed into falling for their cause, would it have been appropriate for the US army to attempt to deprogram them from brainwashing?

What about Stolkholm Syndrome?
No, that assumption is not necessary. It makes it more difficult, but it is not necessary.
Again, it depends on what your calling deprogramming. If it involves force, then it is wrong. God gives us a choice, and we should always give each other a choice.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
But maybe you're the one actually being manipulated. How would you know?
Uh.. I'm watching Trump. I know he's a liar. I'm not being manipulated.

How do you know you are not being manipulated?

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
No, that assumption is not necessary. It makes it more difficult, but it is not necessary.
No. It is necessary. If you can't find common ground in reality, then there's no good in finding common ground in fantasy land.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
And might I ask exactly what do you mean by deprogram people? Tell us in your opinion what that should involved.
To be clear, I'm not necessarily keen on "deprogramming" the way it has been presented in terms of it being forceful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Videos only show small parts.
Yes. The parts I described.

Video evidence is still better than your theoretical evidence you have presented to support your point.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
And what is exit counseling?
similar. Usually done by a "former member". Subject is willing.

That's the start. Look it up! It's in the wikki page for deprogramming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You don't have to tho -- people change their own minds, as they learn more things. Also, I've learned another helpful thing, that when someone argues contentiously with someone, it tends to only make them get defensive and find ways to justify and rationalize, which is getting stuck (in that viewpoint, making it less open to seeing clearly). We don't want anyone to get stuck, therefore I try not to participate in contentiousness if the argument seems contentious. Ideally I think we'd ask questions and listen a lot, instead of arguing. If someone can express their view without getting defensive, then that expressing allows them to get unstuck.
As the saying goes a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Uh.. I'm watching Trump. I know he's a liar. I'm not being manipulated.

How do you know you are not being manipulated?
I'm not implying you could be being manipulated by Trump. What if you're being manipulated by others?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The rights someone has end when they impose on the rights of another. Deprogramming is imposing on the rights of another.

When someone is in a dangerous cult, it's not "imposing" on their right to try to pull them out of it. :wave:
Ringo

Upvote 0