Doctrine of Demons Christians believe in?

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
We can't be both speaking past each other if @Michael Collum is agreeing with me.
Ok. I think, though I could be wrong, that he WAS agreeing with you, and you misunderstood and objected to what he was saying as though he did NOT agree with you. Better?

• Haha
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
And this concept is the reason why the confusion comes up to begin with. Believers, the "saved", can, indeed, return to the flesh-and thereby compromise their saved status. Our wills are not overwhelmed by grace; grace can be resisted at any point. The real problem is that, depending on the individual's perspective, the doctrine of Sola Fide either removes our righteousness from the "justification equation" altogether, with faith completely replacing the need for our righteousness, or it removes our wills from the equation, with faith guaranteeing that we'll have righteousness. Both of these positions are considered, wrongly, to be an action of grace.
I expect you understand what the "Elect" are —no? Those to whom God chose to show mercy, and whom he will use for his particular purposes now and into eternity, to be with him.

The question then becomes, are the Elect the only ones who become saved? Because those God chose for that purpose, he will indeed cause to remain in him.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I expect you understand what the "Elect" are —no? Those to whom God chose to show mercy, and whom he will use for his particular purposes now and into eternity, to be with him.

The question then becomes, are the Elect the only ones who become saved? Because those God chose for that purpose, he will indeed cause to remain in him.
The truth is that no one really knows who the elect are-until He gives us that verdict at the end. God, alone, knows with absolute perfect certainty whose names are written the Book of Life. We cannot predict our own perseverance for that matter.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The truth is that no one really knows who the elect are-until He gives us that verdict at the end. God, alone, knows with absolute perfect certainty whose names are written the Book of Life. We cannot predict our own perseverance for that matter.
This is true, though some christians seem to think they received prophetic revelation on this matter .. or at least they act like they have.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Agreed. Who says otherwise?

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. Who says otherwise?
Anyone who believes in OSAS-and that it applies to them-that they, without any doubt, are numbered among the elect. If one doesn't believe this then the statement, "The Holy Spirit dwells within the regenerate redeemed. He will not let them continue in serving the Devil" applies to some hypothetical group, unknown with perfect certainty at this point.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Anyone who believes in OSAS-and that it applies to them-that they, without any doubt, are numbered among the elect. If one doesn't believe this then the statement, "The Holy Spirit dwells within the regenerate redeemed. He will not let them continue in serving the Devil" applies to some hypothetical group, unknown with perfect certainty at this point.
I agree that is foolish to say that I am, without any doubt, numbered among the elect, particularly since I find myself returning to the vomit. But no, it is not a hypothetical group. It is a very real number of redeemed. The fact that I don't know who they are, and the fact that I can fool myself, is irrelevant to the question of whether the Elect are real. It is also irrelevant to the question of whether the Elect will be in Heaven.

God knows who they are with perfect certainty. That's who matters.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree that is foolish to say that I am, without any doubt, numbered among the elect, particularly since I find myself returning to the vomit. But no, it is not a hypothetical group. It is a very real number of redeemed. The fact that I don't know who they are, and the fact that I can fool myself, is irrelevant to the question of whether the Elect are real. It is also irrelevant to the question of whether the Elect will be in Heaven.

God knows who they are with perfect certainty. That's who matters.
Ok, they're identity is hypothetical to us in any case. And that's why I don't know the reason for making the statement I referenced. From our perspective down here-all of us-are striving, trying to do God's will the best we can with what we know and with the help of His grace, or we should be doing so anyway. In the real world most Christians live as if what they do counts-and then let Him be the judge of how that all plays out in the end.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Ok, they're identity is hypothetical to us in any case. And that's why I don't know the reason for making the statement I referenced. From our perspective down here-all of us-are striving, trying to do God's will the best we can with what we know and with the help of His grace, or we should be doing so anyway. In the real world most Christians live as if what they do counts-and then let Him be the judge of how that all plays out in the end.
I don't get it. What's the problem, then? My feeling of security is not in the satisfaction that I am one of them, but that God will do as God pleases for God's own sake. I KNOW that God is altogether just and consistent, full of mercy. I KNOW that he has a plan that he will see through to the end. For who he is and what he is doing, he is altogether praise-worthy, regardless of whether I am or am not inclined to praise him.

What I do is evidence of who I am, whether I am redeemed or not. Loving him, I cannot continue in sin. It HURTS. So, yes, what I do counts, but it does not save me nor destroy me, though my attitude toward sin might well fit such statements as this one of John Owen: "Be killing sin, or it will be killing you." The statement is not inconsistent with what I believe. Sin feels like death. The wages of sin IS death. It is not a distant, merely intellectual, theory.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't get it. What's the problem, then? My feeling of security is not in the satisfaction that I am one of them, but that God will do as God pleases for God's own sake. I KNOW that God is altogether just and consistent, full of mercy. I KNOW that he has a plan that he will see through to the end. For who he is and what he is doing, he is altogether praise-worthy, regardless of whether I am or am not inclined to praise him.

What I do is evidence of who I am, whether I am redeemed or not. Loving him, I cannot continue in sin. It HURTS. So, yes, what I do counts, but it does not save me nor destroy me, though my attitude toward sin might well fit such statements as this one of John Owen: "Be killing sin, or it will be killing you." The statement is not inconsistent with what I believe. Sin feels like death. The wages of sin IS death. It is not a distant, merely intellectual, theory.
You know your own heart and relationship with God far better than I do-so I don't question that. But we turn to Him to know the facts, to know Himself and His will, and to find out some important things about ourselves, His creation, as well. The more clearly we understand His revelation to us, the better. So to understand, as has been taught by the church for centuries, that what we do after justification does, indeed, count towards salvation, that faith and good works, not works of the law but works begotten and spurred by love of God and neighbor, cannot be separated from each other.
"The only thing that counts is faith working through love." Gal 5:6

And the need to be vigilant, to trust Him but not ourselves, is consistent with the bible because we don't know with certainty who the Elect are. And so this is exactly what the church teaches: to avoid rash over-confidence while we can nevertheless still have a strong level of assurance as we come to know not only His goodness and trustworthiness and love but also our own response to that as we begin to love as well, with all that implies: doing good, helping others, overcoming sin, etc. It's important to know that the human will is given the role of not turning back away from that gift of holiness/righteousness that it's been given, that we must continue to walk in the grace that seeks to draw us ever nearer to Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
So to understand, as has been taught by the church for centuries, that what we do after justification does, indeed, count towards salvation...
This is a vague statement. But to mean "...count towards salvation..." as causal of salvation, is false. There is where comes the notion that one saves oneself, making it not entirely of Grace. I agree that the one always carries the other, and in that way they cannot be separated, but that they can't be dealt with separately in what they cause, is mistaken. Yes, faith always begets works, and works increases faith, but salvation is through faith alone, not of works.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is a vague statement. But to mean "...count towards salvation..." as causal of salvation, is false.
Nothing vague about it-God saves however He wishes to save-either with or without our participation. And since He still does demand our personal righteousness under the new covenant, He either gives us the ability to comply, in which case the will of man is involved, or He directly causes us to comply, in which case the will is replaced with a compliant will which effectively removes my will from the matter. But as Augustine put it, "He who made you without your consent does not save you without your consent." We can't possibly be saved without Him, yet we can still refuse to be saved.

IOW a person can lose their justified status, and therefore their salvation, by living unjustly. Or he can remain in Him (John 15), walking by the Spirit and putting to death the deeds of the flesh (Rom 8:12-13) doing good (Rom 2:7), and receive eternal life. Faith is the foundation. the beginning, not the end, of this process.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Nothing vague about it-God saves however He wishes to save-either with or without our participation. And since He still does demand our personal righteousness under the new covenant, He either gives us the ability to comply, in which case the will of man is involved, or He directly causes us to comply, in which case the will is replaced with a compliant will which effectively removes my will from the matter. But as Augustine put it, "He who made you without your consent does not save you without your consent." We can't possibly be saved without Him, yet we can still refuse to be saved.

IOW a person can lose their justified status, and therefore their salvation, by living unjustly. Or he can remain in Him (John 15), walking by the Spirit and putting to death the deeds of the flesh (Rom 8:12-13) doing good (Rom 2:7), and receive eternal life. Faith is the foundation. the beginning, not the end, of this process.
You're just restating an old assertion. And I'm afraid I'd be just repeating myself to answer it. But at least you admit he can save us however he wishes.

But even in your statement that he can save us with or without our participation, sounds to me to be offered in response to something I said. All I say is that he saves us apart from anything we can do. Our salvation is not dependent on our participation. That does not mean that we don't participate: After all, it is WE who believe, but our belief is not by OUR EFFORT, but by God's grace through his gift of faith. When God changes our will —not 'replaces' it, as you are wont to say— he does so by the gift of the Spirit of God indwelling us, not by our invitation, nor by our accepting anything, but in order to produce the faith through which we believe and are saved.

You say, "He...gives us the ability to comply." —Comply with what?, I'm wondering.

Your quote from Augustine, I'm beginning to wonder, might be a misquote, because Augustine was usually a little more accurate than poetic. But I keep hearing it from you, or others like you. It makes more sense to say, "He who made you born the first time without your consent does not require your consent to rebirth you." But if he did say it, it provides no logical argument —just poetry.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,934.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Ok. I think, though I could be wrong, that he WAS agreeing with you, and you misunderstood and objected to what he was saying as though he did NOT agree with you. Better?

He just replied with specific mention of ME or my OP seems to be making parody of the teaching about Grace so I really don't think he's agreeing with me in any way.

You obsessively over-analyzed the situation!^_^

I found it interesting that many Christians seem unfamiliar with this type of testing doctrines.

This method of testing false teaching is simply based on the premise, how a particular doctrine helps the devil. Though I'm not surprised many would be unfamiliar because this world or the devil tries its best to make worldly and material things look harmless and innocent - the end to all means, a man or a woman's little personal paradise here on Earth, NOW.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Repentance, which is crucial to being born again of the Spirit of God, involves not what we do, but what we stop doing. This is what Paul is saying when he says that we forsake the works of the flesh as listed in Galatians 5. Sanctification involves doing the will of God. We know that we are doing the will of God when we meet the criteria which is seen from Romans 12:2 and Phil 4:8.

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."
“Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.” Let's take a look at what it means to dwell on these things."

So, the criteria for what we do are: Is it:
good
pleasing
perfect
right
pure
honorable
lovely
good repute
excellent
worthy of praise?

If what we do meets that criteria, then we are developing sanctification and doing what God wants us to do according to His will. It is not a matter of observing a set of defined laws, but testing what we are presently doing according to the criteria set down in the two quotes out of God's Word that I have provided. The Scripture says, "This is the will of God, even our sanctification" and, "Be not unwise, but understanding what the will of God is." If we put everything we do under the test of the above criteria, then we are following God's moral law and we are showing that we love God with all our hearts and love the brethren as we love ourselves.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,934.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."

Good catch!:oldthumbsup:

A doctrine that is indifferent or doesn't really care if you conform to the 'pattern of this world' or not is most certainly a doctrine of demons.

Many people would naturally gravitate towards worldly principles if no one tells and convinces them it's a bad thing.

And being conformed to the pattern of this world makes you a servant of the devil. Sadly, there are so many Christians are conformed to this world and even thinks it's a good thing "for the sake of winning more souls...." Yeah right.... Winning souls for whom?? The devil??

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Good catch!:oldthumbsup:

A doctrine that is indifferent or doesn't really care if you conform to the 'pattern of this world' or not is most certainly a doctrine of demons.

Many people would naturally gravitate towards worldly principles if no one tells and convinces them it's a bad thing.

And being conformed to the pattern of this world makes you a servant of the devil. Sadly, there are so many Christians are conformed to this world and even thinks it's a good thing "for the sake of winning more souls...." Yeah right.... Winning souls for whom?? The devil??
Yep. The Scripture says that the person who is a friend of the world is no friend of God.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,934.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yep. The Scripture says that the person who is a friend of the world is no friend of God.

The Bible gave so many parallels between the devil and the world. It's practically telling us the world is the devil.

If we're not supposed to like the devil....

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Bible gave so many parallels between the devil and the world. It's practically telling us the world is the devil.

If we're not supposed to like the devil....
We are in the world but not of it. We are not to cut ourselves off the world to become hermits, but we live in the world, have a home, family and job, just like others, but we are there as a witness for the saving and transforming grace of God in Christ.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This is probably the most popular / mainstream philosophy in Christianity today (see below)

However if you put this philosophy side-by-side with another philosophy that agrees with it, it begins to stand out in a bad way like spilling black ink in white dress.

Here it is:

After you have accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior >>

If you do works for God, you will be condemned to hell because it means you have not been truly saved yet and you still live in the dark, unable to see God's grace.

On the other hand, if you continue working for the devil (the world) but not God, you will go to heaven because it means you depend entirely on God's grace.

A grave example of Isaiah 5:20 and Jude 1:4?

Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.

For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about[b] long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.

While not a majority, the fact that there are some Evangelicals and particularly some Fundamentalist Calvinists who believe in the above is extremely disturbing, and is contrary to the doctrine of Sola Fide as understood by Luther, Calvin, Cranmer and the other Reformers, as my Lutheran, Calvinist and Anglican friends @ViaCrucis @MarkRohfrietsch @hedrick @Mark Quayle @Carl Emerson and @Shane R will agree.

Indeed, the rejection of doing Good Works by this small minority of wacky extremists, including, for example, Westboro Baptist Church, is condemned as heretical by pretty much everyone, whether Protestant, Orthodox, Catholic, Restorationist* or Assyrian.

And the Wesleyan Holiness movement produced entire denominations that believe in Sola Fide but are committed to performing Good Works, for example, the Salvation Army.

*Even the most extreme Restorationists like the Friends (Quakers) would reject this.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0