Do you tithe?

Do you tithe?

• Yes I tithe 10 percent of my income.

• Yes I tithe MORE than 10 percent of my income.

• Yes I tithe LESS than 10 percent of my income.

• No I do not tithe.

• I give offerings as I feel led.

• I spend all my money on bubblegum and pez.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamdavid

Apr 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Visit site
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
here...
Out of everything I get, I give at least 10%... actually, usually, it ends up being closer to 15% by the time I finish adding money to the envelope :D ... I believe that God has asked us to do this (I honestly dont care if he has required us to... too many people get into a big fuss over that... whether or not he requires us to is really irrelevant... he wants us to, and as his passionate lovers, I think we should go way beyond what he requires us to do!!!!) The way I see it, Jesus died for me... my life is his... how selfish of me is it to say "I cant give back to God, because I want that new CD!!!" how dumb is that???? :D

Blessings,
AdamDavid

Upvote 0

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
adamdavid said:
here...
Out of everything I get, I give at least 10%... actually, usually, it ends up being closer to 15% by the time I finish adding money to the envelope :D ... I believe that God has asked us to do this (I honestly dont care if he has required us to... too many people get into a big fuss over that... whether or not he requires us to is really irrelevant... he wants us to, and as his passionate lovers, I think we should go way beyond what he requires us to do!!!!) The way I see it, Jesus died for me... my life is his... how selfish of me is it to say "I cant give back to God, because I want that new CD!!!" how dumb is that???? :D

Blessings,
AdamDavid
adamdavid:

I think it is wonderful that you feel led to tithe and obey. However, I would like you to know that not tithing is not a matter of selfishness or disobedience. Such as your case be, you are obeying your conviction that you believe G-d has placed on your heart.

I would just like to let you and others know that the Biblical basis for tithing to a particular organized church may not be what you think it is.

Upvote 0

adamdavid

Apr 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Visit site
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it is wonderful that you feel led to tithe and obey. However, I would like you to know that not tithing is not a matter of selfishness or disobedience. Such as your case be, you are obeying your conviction that you believe G-d has placed on your heart.

I would just like to let you and others know that the Biblical basis for tithing to a particular organized church may not be what you think it is.
Thats fine... whatever floats your boat... my tithing is between me and God, as is yours (or lack thereof...)! And, as far as "tithing to a particular organized church" goes.... until I started going to what I now consider my church, I had nowhere to put my tithe (except for my parents church, but I think thats icky, and I wouldnt give it my money if... well, I wouldnt give it my money for any reason! :D ), so I did with it as I felt led to by the Holy Spirit... sometimes that meant sending it to Billy Grahm or something... sometimes it meant going down the road untill I found a homeless person, and taking them out for coffee on a Saturday morning when they would have been standing on an offramp waiting for someone to toss them a crumpled dollar bill... I dont think theres any biblical basis whatsoever for tithing to a particular "organized church"... so I do other things with it sometimes, but I do feel that (at least for my money...), at least ten percent should be given back to God in some way, shape or form... Again, if thats just not you, than do what you do... totally depends on where you are with God and what you feel he wants from you...

abundant blessings...
AdamDavid

Upvote 0

LynneClomina

Jan 31, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟17,768.00
Faith
Calvinist
peaceblossom said:
I also tithe off of the gross of my salary and not the net.
eh, good point. i've only been working for a few months, i've never had to think of that before. something to remember!!!!!

i consider my "tithe" (tenth) to be just that, 10%... everything over that is an offereing. all together it is over 10%, so that is how i voted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
allieisme said:
Me and my husband tithe off of the gross amount not the net as well...We usually, at least the last year, we tithed off of our income tax return

Not to nitpick, but here in Canada we get 40% (if memory is correct) back on the tax return for contribution to charities and non-profit organizations (which most churches are categorized). Technically speaking, this 40% return 'belongs' to the God and should be given back to the church! Otherwise, did we really tithe (ie. 10%)? ;) Just something to think about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I guess I should revamp my thinking. :confused: We dont tithe from our gross, because we work from January to May paying taxes to the governement I do enclude any benefits as part of my net, to tithe, that we dont get on our check but is put into insurance, or retirement, things like that, we know we will be benefiting on it eventually. I guess my thinking is.. render unto Ceasar what do him. Well he expects my husband to work from Jan. to May taking care of Ceasar. Then whats remaining, is ours to to give. I also dont claim my giving at the end of the year. But everyone does what they are led to do.

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
andry said:
Not to nitpick, but here in Canada we get 40% (if memory is correct) back on the tax return for contribution to charities and non-profit organizations (which most churches are categorized). Technically speaking, this 40% return 'belongs' to the God and should be given back to the church! Otherwise, did we really tithe (ie. 10%)? ;) Just something to think about.
LOL That's why I tithe off my gross and don't claim the "donation" on my taxes. One-tenth of one-tenth....divide by 2....carry the 1....bah, forget it.;)

Upvote 0

LynneClomina

Jan 31, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟17,768.00
Faith
Calvinist
andry said:
um, i thought it was whatever % off our taxable income? ie. say i tithe $100, so i can claim 40% of that on my income tax - that only comes off the amount that the gov't taxes me. so i can take $40 off my taxes... it is not a return of any of the money that i've tithed, it's a deduction of my regular tax amount for being a charitable citizen.... :sorry: but then what do i know, taxes confuse me. i leave that up to my accountant. :sigh:

oh, and i've never had enough income to even get taxed. so i really dont have a clue what i'm talking about. :scratch:

Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
andry said:
Also not to nitpick, but we can't tithe more than 10%. Tithe = 10. Anything more is an offering.
Right...We tithe 10% from paychecks and then 10% from our tax return, and anything over the 10% goes into the offering for different things..ie...childrens ministries, sunday schools, royal rangers...ect...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.