Auckland
✟21,150.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
Isaiah 53, though I've heard that this description is talking about what he looked during the crucifixion, which I think might be right:
1 Who has believed what he has heard from us? And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?
2 For he grew up before him like a young plant, and like a root out of dry ground; he had no form or majesty that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him.
3He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
Isaiah 53 is describing the nation of Israel. It has nothing to do with Jesus.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The man in the image looks very European. It doesn’t seem likely to me that a man born in the Middle East 2000 years ago would look European.

Most western Europeans are descendants of the Israelites (they fled or were driven north)...so it follows that Europeans would actually look like those Israelites, including the Jews. Also having 'dark skin' from constant exposure to the sun doesn't mean one is "dark skinned". My brother and I got extremely "dark skinned" during summer vacation but turned quite "white" during the winter.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seems like I remember when I was younger many of the Bible's had what was a so-called picture of Jesus in them? Thank goodness that practice has been done away with.

M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm seeing Jere Burns.
jere-burns.jpg-12925.jpg

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The man in the image looks very European. It doesn’t seem likely to me that a man born in the Middle East 2000 years ago would look European.

Just how do middle eastern people look? There seems to be this stereotype they are all dark, like their faces are rubbed in shoe polish (because that's how Hollywood literally did "Arab-face" in the old days). Most are not much different looking in complexion than Greeks.

For instance, this guy, Tony Shaloub, is Lebanese-American actor (Monk). Does he look especially dark to you?

tony-shalhoub-177456_828x1104.png

This guy here is another famous Arab actor, Alexander Siddig (Dr. Bashir, Star Trek DS:9). He's from a family that was from Sudan:

MV5BMTIxMjYwMTA3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDQxODYzMQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR122,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The Bible says it isn't, because it says there was nothing about His looks that would make Him exceptional. Quite to the contrary, that picture shows a very handsome man.

A few church fathers thought Jesus was genuinely ugly, but most understand the prophesy to be referring to his humiliation and beating. I would think if he was exceptionally ugly, the Bible would have said so, and he would have been ridiculed for his looks. Most likely, he had a typical appearance for a man of his day.

Confucius, on the other hand, was unusually tall and awkward looking, and that has been recorded as such.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just how do middle eastern people look? There seems to be this stereotype they are all dark, like their faces are rubbed in shoe polish (because that's how Hollywood literally did "Arab-face" in the old days). Most are not much different looking in complexion than Greeks.

For instance, this guy, Tony Shaloub, is Lebanese-American actor (Monk). Does he look especially dark to you?

tony-shalhoub-177456_828x1104.png

This guy here is another famous Arab actor, Alexander Siddig (Dr. Bashir, Star Trek DS:9). He's from a family that was from Sudan:

MV5BMTIxMjYwMTA3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDQxODYzMQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR122,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
I still see more European features in the painting. Modern Middle Eastern people are surely much more varied in their genetics than 2000 years ago. Darker skin seems more logical for the region at the time.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
View attachment 247773 For everyone saying he should be a bit darker.

They come in different shades. This is a picture of israeli military.

Not everybody in the Israeli military is Jewish. Many are Druze, Arab, or other ethnicities. In fact, Orthodox Jews don't even typically serve in the Israeli military.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 247771 View attachment 247770 These images were drawn by Akiane Kramarik who said god gave her these images to draw. Do you believe this is exactly what Jesus looked like?
We are not to make images of anything that we may think is god.
That would be an idol.
We do not know what He looked liked.
God has to talk to your heart on this as you read Scripture more, but all pictures of Jesus are false.
We are told to flee from idolatry in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Imagine if for a moment God believes you are making idols out of having pictures of Jesus.
Imagine the horror you will face before the Lord Jesus in explaining why you did it.
I am just saying, “What if.” In my view, I would think it is too big of a risk to play games with my soul like that if indeed I was justifying the sin of idolatry. Nowhere does the Bible tell us to seek after pictures of Jesus. The Bible actually warns us to flee idolatry.

Side Note:

Also, think. Don’t you think the enemy (Satan) wants to deceive people? Don’t you think he would try to get people to create false images of Jesus so that they can worship those images (i.e., idolatry)?

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Imagine if for a moment God believes you are making idols out of having pictures of Jesus.
Imagine the horror you will face before the Lord Jesus in explaining why you did it.
I am just saying, “What if.” In my view, I would think it is too big of a risk to play games with my soul like that if indeed I was justifying the sin of idolatry. Nowhere does the Bible tell us to seek after pictures of Jesus. The Bible actually warns us to flee idolatry.

what if it is God Himself who gave you the picture ...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.