Do you think this picture is Jesus? Why or why not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
what if it is God Himself who gave you the picture ...
He didn’t. I have the Bible and it is a more sure word of prophecy. Doing things outside of the Bible is how cults are formed.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He didn’t. I have the Bible and it is a more sure word of prophecy. Doing things outside of the Bible is how cults are formed.

idols are images and images are truths held to ... He most certainly gave me the picture i have of Jesus ...

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Agree
Reactions: comana
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Why does anyone care what Jesus looked like, anyway?

If we have a relationship with someone, usually we are interested in them as a complete person. It's hard to authentically relate to somebody that exists in our minds as merely an idea.

Reactions: YorkieGal
Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we have a relationship with someone, usually we are interested in them as a complete person. It's hard to authentically relate to somebody that exists in our minds as merely an idea.
Interesting. My logical mind sees no positive outcome in creating fantasy to have an 'authentic' relationship with someone never met nor whose physical attributes can ever be confirmed. Our whole premise is based on faith, which is not having to see to believe, so it is interesting it falls short here, for some.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Interesting. My logical mind sees no positive outcome in creating fantasy to have an 'authentic' relationship with someone never met nor whose physical attributes can ever be confirmed. Our whole premise is based on faith, which is not having to see to believe, so it is interesting it falls short here, for some.

Artistic depictions of Jesus were very common among Protestant Pietists in the 18th and 19th centuries (which itself was the predecessor to Evangelicalism), so it's not something that's particularly new. Usually, they were based on traditional Christian iconography.

The Positivist view of knowledge you seem to be presuming is something that is relatively new, in comparison. In the older Pietist or in the Liberal tradition (which was heavily influenced by Pietism), what is more important is whether a religious practice strengthens our faith in God.

Reactions: YorkieGal
Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Positivist view of knowledge you seem to be presuming is something that is relatively new, in comparison.
My individualistic mindset does often seem to inadvertently lead to trendsetting for the masses, once shared.

It's a burden for me but I soldier on.......;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Who needs someone’s visions of what Jesus looked like when we have toast!
View attachment 247876
Looks like they scraped it to look like him, lol. Post 27 is the image i saw years ago.i didn't like it having gotten used to the common pic s of Jesus. Jesus always looks so kind an gentle.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
idols are images and images are truths held to ... He most certainly gave me the picture i have of Jesus ...
Do you believe the Bible is God’s sole revelation to man? If not, then how are you able to tell a tradition of men vs. God’s added truth that is not found in the Bible? Also, try reading the Bible for a change on the topic of idolatry and pray about it with God, seeking the truth. Imagine if you are wrong? The horror you will face will be unimaginable, my friend. Don’t risk your soul over a dumb idol.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe the Bible is God’s sole revelation to man? If not, then how are you able to tell a tradition of men vs. God’s added truth that is not found in the Bible? Also, try reading the Bible for a change on the topic of idolatry and pray about it with God, seeking the truth. Imagine if you are wrong? The horror you will face will be unimaginable, my friend. Don’t risk your soul over a dumb idol.
no ... no one knows the Son, except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father, except the Son, and to whom the Son might choose to reveal Him.

We must always remember that the revelation of today (if held onto) becomes the serpent of tomorrow.

It is in the confines of how our soul deceives us, or where we build idols out of the revealed truth, in this our journey in ends, until we are purged of these things that become obstacles, or serpents in our path.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is if it is God or if it is an image to be worshiped as some other god (See Exodus 20).
I agree. I will add that when you compare that very common painting that hangs in so many churches with the popular one in Mormon churches, well, Mormon Jesus would beat up Christian Jesus. :D They both repel me, though. They give me the willies.
1699637039239.png
1699637079365.png

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My parents have a print of this hanging in the dining room.

Where does it mention his looks? I don't remember that. Thanks

Isaiah
53. [1] Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? [2] For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree. I will add that when you compare that very common painting that hangs in so many churches with the popular one in Mormon churches, well, Mormon Jesus would beat up Christian Jesus. :D They both repel me, though. They give me the willies.
I remember reading somewhere about how Billy Graham saying that when he prayed, he had the image of Jesus portrayed in his mind from actor who played Jesus in the Passion of the Christ. I cannot seem to find the quote now.

Anyway, there seems to be plenty idolatrous images of Jesus going around these days.
They can take the form of artist renditions to movie actors.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah
53. [1] Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? [2] For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
It’s sad, but their love for their idol image of Jesus is more than what this passage says. Only God can reveal it to them and they would have to be willing to change. All we can do is pray for folks who cannot see it right now.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
no ... no one knows the Son, except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father, except the Son, and to whom the Son might choose to reveal Him.

We must always remember that the revelation of today (if held onto) becomes the serpent of tomorrow.

It is in the confines of how our soul deceives us, or where we build idols out of the revealed truth, in this our journey in ends, until we are purged of these things that become obstacles, or serpents in our path.
So how do you know the JW church and Mormonism is false if the Bible is not our sole guide for all matters of faith and practice?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.