May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by edpobre
Thank you for praying for me gunnysgt. But God will NOT hear  you BECAUSE your sins have NOT been forgiven. 

You have NOT been translated into the kingdom of Christ (IGLESIA NI CRISTO) IN WHOM there is REDEMPTION through Christ's blood, the FORGIVENESS of sins (Col. 1:13-14). Hence, your sins have NOT been forgiven.

Ed

ED, I know God hears my prayers. I seek no argument with you. I really have been praying for you, espicially the last few days.

I know my prayers have been continually answered throughout the years.

I wish the best for you, Ed.

May God's peace be with you, sir.

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Friends,

Being a CULT is relative depending on WHO is calling the shots. Catholics and Protestants REGARD non-Trinitarians as CULTS because to them, anyone who is NOT a Trinitarian is a CULT.

Trinitarians and non-Trinitarians alike REGARD the followers of Jim Jones as CULTS because although they believed in the Trinity, they were OBEDIENT to Jim Jones to the point of death.

Perhaps, JWs, Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists have their own STANDARDS and call everyone else a CULT.

To really know whether you belong to a CULT or not, you have to know the UNBIASED definition of CULT.

With regards to religion, Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary defines CULT as: a religion REGARDED as UNORTHODOX or SPURIOUS; also, its body of adherents. RELIGION is a cause, principle or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.

This leads us to the question: Who REGARDS a religion as UNORTHODOX or SPURIOUS.

The SAME dictionary defines ORTHODOX as: CONFORMING to ESTABLISHED doctrine esp. in religion. And SPURIOUS means FALSE.

This leads us to the next question: What are REGARDED as ESTABLISHED doctrine?

To answer the first question, we must ask ourelves this question: WHOSE religion is it that we are following - Christ, Mohammad, Budha, etc.?

If it is Christ's RELIGION that we are following, shouldn't we ALLOW the Bible ALONE to SHOW us which of today's Christian religions is UNORTHODOX or NOT conforming to established doctrine and SPURIOUS or false?

Having said these, which of today's religions do NOT conform to doctrines ESTABLISHED by Jesus and his apostles?

Is the "Trinity" a doctrine ESTABLISHED by Jesus and his apostles?

Is the "DEITY of Jesus" a doctrine ESTABLISHED  by Jesus and his apostles?

Is "faith alone" a doctrine ESTABLISHED by Jesus and his apostles?

Is "once saved always saved" a doctrine ESTABLISHED by Jesus and his apostles?

Is "baptism NOT necessary to salvation" a doctrine ESTABLISHED  by Jesus and his apostles?

Is "membership in the church that Christ built NOT necessary for salvation" a doctrine ESTABLISHED by Jesus and his apostles?

Any "professing Christian" religion that does NOT conform to ANY established doctrine OF Christ is a CULT.

If you find yourself INSIDE a CULT, God is imploring you to "come out of her lest you share in her sins and receive of her plagues" (Rev. 18:4).

Ed

Some tell-tale signs of a cult, from my studies under Dr. Walter Martin. (if my memory serves correctly....this was over 20 years ago)

Cults isolate people from others. Cults take simple meanings in scripture, and create elaborate, multi-level submeanings to them. Cults, like Jehovah Witness, put more emphasis and focus on books and publications, written about what the Bible says, than on the Bible itself. Cults teach heresy. There are others. I don't recall them at the moment.

A lot of teachings or groups may have one of these traits, this does not make them a cult. It is when a group has a combination of these traits, that they should be considered a cult.

Reducing your case to, "If you believe in this doctrine, or don't believe in that doctrine, you are in a cult", really does not make your case for presenting your view of the Trinity, or any other doctrine.

You need a new approach.

I believe that the Bible plainly points to a triune Godhead.

A side note - The word "Trinity" is nowhere to be found in the Bible, nor is the word "Bible". ;)

John

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by gunnysgt
<B>Thank you for praying for me gunnysgt. But&nbsp;God will NOT hear&nbsp; you BECAUSE your sins have NOT been forgiven.&nbsp;

You have NOT been translated into the kingdom of Christ (IGLESIA NI CRISTO) IN WHOM there is REDEMPTION through Christ's blood, the FORGIVENESS of sins (Col. 1:13-14). Hence, your sins have NOT been forgiven.

Ed
</B>

ED, I know God hears my prayers. I seek no argument with you. I really have been praying for you, espicially the last few days.

I know my prayers have been continually answered throughout the years.

I'll pray for you too gunnysgt because I know your zeal for God but NOT according to knowledge (Rom. 10:1-3).

Ed

&nbsp;

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[
I'll pray for you too gunnysgt because I know your zeal for God but NOT according to knowledge (Rom. 10:1-3).
Ed
[/B]

Most assuredly not according to the so-called knowledge of Felix Manalo-the Last Messenger/5th angel and the INC extra-biblical doctrines.

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by TheBear
<B><B>Friends,

Being a CULT is relative depending on WHO is calling the shots. Catholics and Protestants&nbsp;REGARD&nbsp;non-Trinitarians as CULTS because to them, anyone who is NOT a Trinitarian is a CULT.

Trinitarians and non-Trinitarians alike REGARD the followers of Jim Jones as CULTS because although they believed in the Trinity, they were OBEDIENT to Jim Jones to the point of death.

Perhaps, JWs, Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists have their own STANDARDS and call everyone else a CULT.

To really know whether you belong to a CULT or not, you have to know the UNBIASED&nbsp;definition of CULT.

With regards to religion, Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary defines CULT as: a religion&nbsp;REGARDED as UNORTHODOX or SPURIOUS; also, its body of adherents. RELIGION is a cause, principle or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.

This leads us to the question: Who REGARDS a religion as UNORTHODOX or SPURIOUS.

The SAME dictionary defines ORTHODOX as: CONFORMING to&nbsp;ESTABLISHED doctrine esp. in religion. And SPURIOUS means FALSE.

This leads us to the next question: What are REGARDED as ESTABLISHED doctrine?

To answer the first question, we must ask ourelves this question: WHOSE religion is it that we are following - Christ, Mohammad, Budha, etc.?

If it is Christ's RELIGION that we are following, shouldn't we ALLOW&nbsp;the Bible ALONE&nbsp;to SHOW&nbsp;us which of today's Christian religions is UNORTHODOX or NOT conforming to established doctrine and SPURIOUS or false?

Having said these, which of today's religions do&nbsp;NOT conform to doctrines&nbsp;ESTABLISHED by Jesus and his apostles?

Is the "Trinity" a doctrine ESTABLISHED by Jesus and his apostles?

Is the "DEITY of Jesus" a doctrine ESTABLISHED&nbsp; by Jesus and his apostles?

Is "faith alone" a doctrine ESTABLISHED by Jesus and his apostles?

Is "once saved always saved" a doctrine ESTABLISHED by Jesus and his apostles?

Is "baptism&nbsp;NOT necessary to salvation" a doctrine ESTABLISHED&nbsp; by Jesus and his apostles?

Is "membership in the church that Christ built&nbsp;NOT necessary for salvation" a doctrine ESTABLISHED by Jesus and his apostles?

Any "professing Christian" religion that does NOT conform to ANY established doctrine <I>OF Christ</I> is a CULT.

If you find yourself INSIDE a CULT, God is imploring you to "come out of her lest you share in her sins and receive of her plagues" (Rev. 18:4).

Ed
</B></B><B>
</B>Some tell-tale signs of a cult, from my studies under Dr. Walter Martin. (if my memory serves correctly....this was over 20 years ago)

Cults isolate people from others. Cults take simple meanings in scripture, and create elaborate, multi-level submeanings to them. Cults, like Jehovah Witness, put more emphasis and focus on books and publications, written about what the Bible says, than on the Bible itself. Cults teach heresy. There are others. I don't recall them at the moment.

This is the&nbsp;MOST biased description of CULT that I have come across. As&nbsp;I said in the beginning of my post, CULT is relative depending on who is calling the shots. And until people DISCARD their PRE-CONCEIVED definition of CULT, they will NOT arrive at the knowledge of the TRUTH.

A lot of teachings or groups may have one of these traits, this does not make them a cult. It is when a group has a combination of these traits, that they should be considered a cult.

SELF-SERVING statements like this only serve to MUDDLE&nbsp;the issue. Wesbter was an UNBIASED &nbsp;person who made a living out of making UNBIASED definition of terms.

If people are TRULY seeking for the TRUTH (only the truth SANCTIFIES - John 17:17) why can't they acccept Webster's UNBIASED definition of CULT? After-all, we have ONLY ONE Bible to base our beliefs on, right?

Reducing your case to, "If you believe in this doctrine, or don't believe in that doctrine, you are in a cult", really does not make your case for presenting your view of the Trinity, or any other doctrine.

You need a new approach.

This is also a SELF-SERVING statement. You are only saying this because you are a Trinitarian. On the other hand, Trinitarians brand non-Trinitarians as CULT because they deny the deity of Christ.

If we go to Webster, we find that the word "ORTHODOX" means "according to ESTABLISHED doctrines." The question really is: WHO or WHAT church &nbsp;established doctrine? Was it the "early church Fathers" who ESTABLISHED doctrine? Does that give "mainstream Christianity" the authority to declare that they are "orthodox Christians?"

I contend that the Bible is the source of doctrine and Jesus ALONE is&nbsp;the authority regarding which are "established doctrines" and which are NOT.Whatever the apostles wrote, they LEARNED from Jesus.

Hence, any church that teaches doctrines that are contrary to what Jesus ESTABLISHED, is UNORTHODOX or SPURIOUS and according to Webster, a CULT.

I believe that the Bible plainly points to a triune Godhead.

A side note - The word "Trinity" is nowhere to be found in the Bible, nor is the word "Bible". ;)

John

Your belief that the Bible "PLAINLY" points to a triune Godhead is WRONG.

Jesus, SPECIFICALLY,&nbsp;did NOT establish the Trinity doctrine. No other person on earth, NEITHER&nbsp;a council nor a Pope nor an Emperor, nor an apostle, nor a prophet can establish a doctrine that CONTRADICTS what Jesus established.

Jesus SAID: "MY doctrine is NOT mine but HIS who&nbsp;SENT me" (John 7:16). Thus, whoever establishes a doctrine CONTRARY to what Jesus established is establishing a doctrine CONTRARY to God's.

Jesus PLAINLY established the DOCTRINE (teaching) that he is a MAN (John 8:40) and the FATHER alone is the ONLY true God (John 17:3). This was the "ORTHODOX" view of Jesus and God during Jesus' and the apostles'&nbsp;time.&nbsp;

At that time, anyone who had a DIFFERENT belief was NOT a member of the fold, flock or church that Christ BUILT and was considered a Gentile or a PAGAN .

The word TRINITY is NOWHERE found in the Bible and for centuries now, has been a point of contention among professing Christians.

The word BIBLE&nbsp; is ALSO not found in the Bible but the SIMILRITY with the Trinity stops there. NOBODY has ever contended that the Bible is the word of God.

Thus, the mere FACT that the word Bible is ALSO not found in the Bible does NOT make the Trinity doctrine TRUE.

The ONLY reason why the Tinity doctrine is FALSE (spurious) and NOT in accordance with estanblished doctrine (unorthodox)&nbsp; is because it is CONTRARY to doctrines established BY Jesus.

Ed

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
"The average non-Christian cult owes its very existence to the fact that it has utilized the terminology of Christianity, has borrowed liberally from the Bible (almost always out of context), and sprinkled its format with evangelical cliches and terms wherever possible or advantageous. Up to now this has been a highly successful attempt to represent their respective systems of thought as “Christian.” - excerpt from 'The Kingdom of the Cults', by Dr. Walter Martin

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
"The average non-Christian cult owes its very existence to the fact that it has utilized the terminology of Christianity, has borrowed liberally from the Bible (almost always out of context), and sprinkled its format with evangelical cliches and terms wherever possible or advantageous. Up to now this has been a highly successful attempt to represent their respective systems of thought as “Christian.” - excerpt from 'The Kingdom of the Cults', by Dr. Walter Martin

Even Dr. Walter Martin is LOST on the Biblical definition of what a Christian is.

The Bible teaches that the DISCIPLES of Christ were firtst CALLED Christians in Antioch (Acts 11:26).

And the Bible further teaches that a DISCIPLE of Christ is one who BELIEVES in Jesus and ABIDES in his word (John 8:31).

How can one be CALLED a Christian when one ABIDES in a doctrine that goes AGAINST the doctrine of Christ?

Jesus TAUGHT that he is a MAN (John 8:40) and the Father is the ONLY true God (John 17:3). Trinitarians TEACH otherwise!

Talking about CHANGING definition of terms, isn't defining "Christian" as one who ADHERES to the Trinity doctrine a 180 degree CHANGE from what the Bible teaches?

Ed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
LOL!!! :D

So, for the purpose of this discussion, countless Biblical theologians and Apologetics scholars, have it all wrong. :D

Anything you say, edpobre. I'll play along. :D

What's next?

Hey, I know! Let's change the meaning of 'sin'. We can turn it around to make it a good thing. :p

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
LOL!!

So, for the purpose of this discussion, countless Biblical theologians and Apologetics scholars, have it all wrong.

Anything you say, edpobre. I'll play along.

What's next?

Hey, I know! Let's change the meaning of 'sin'. We can turn it around to make it a good thing.&nbsp;

For purposes of this thread, Webster's definition of CULT is used because it is NOT biased towards any particular set of belief. And since everyone is PRESUMED to be a TRUE seeker of TRUTH, any definition of CULT that tends to FAVOR a particular belief will have to be evaluated along the definition given by Webster.

Catholics have CHANGED the meaning of&nbsp;SIN a&nbsp;long, long time ago. That's why they have "venial" sin and "mortal" sin. In my country, we have a "cardinal" sin because it happens that our Catholic Cardinal's family name is SIN. LOL!!

Ed

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Okay, then. Which of the below definitions are you talking about?

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary

Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: 'k & lt
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL
Date: 1617
1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

Let's get to an agreement on these terms, then.

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you only go by Webster's material, anyone who has faith, or is part of any sect of Christianity, or adheres to a creed, or belongs to any denomination, or anyone that worships, is a member of a cult.

Do you really want to play word games? Or, do you want to talk about what a cult is, from a Christian perspective?

Talk to me, Ed.

It's go-time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Okay, then. Which of the below definitions are you talking about?

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary

Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: 'k &amp; lt
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French &amp; Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL
Date: 1617
1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <HEALTH cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

Let's get to an agreement on these terms, then.

If you look at my post, you will note that I used definition #3 because the word CULT is usually addressed to people who are considered "UNORTHODOX" by "orthodox Christianity." The word CULT is also addressed to non-Trinitarians by Trinitarians.

Ed

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Webster's Thesaurus for the word 'cult':

Entry Word: cult
Text:

1 Synonyms RELIGION 1, creed, faith, persuasion

2 Synonyms RELIGION 2, church, communion, connection, creed, denomination, faith, persuasion, sect

So then, a CULT is a RELIGION that is considered UNORTHODOX or SPURIOUS.

Ed

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
If you only go by Webster's material, anyone who has faith, or is part of any sect of Christianity, or adheres to a creed, or belongs to any denomination, or anyone that worships, is a member of a cult.

Do you really want to play word games? Or, do you want to talk about what a cult is, from a Christian perspective?

Talk to me, Ed.

It's go-time.

Did you read my lead post? Do you think I am playing word games? Of course, we&nbsp; should discuss what a CULT is from a Christian perspective since we are in this forum.

We should define CULT in the context with which it is used on people who do&nbsp;NOT conform with&nbsp;"mainstream" or "orthodox" Christianity. For example: why are Non-Trinitarians called CULT? why are people who do NOT adhere to the "faith alone" doctrine called CULT?

Ed

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
"We should define CULT in the context with which it is used on people who do NOT conform with "mainstream" or "orthodox" Christianity. For example: why are Non-Trinitarians called CULT? why are people who do NOT adhere to the "faith alone" doctrine called CULT?"

Who uses this term with this criteria, Ed?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.