✟470.00
Faith
Calvinist
Hello Evangelion and God bless-

>

Yep. The logos ginomai sarx.
Still pushing that strawman? :D
I'll let the Liddell-Scott-James Greek Lexicon answer that one:
I won't contend with the definition below [I agree with it :)]. But one must still wonder why this guy can't a least *try* to present himself as credible. Is it too hard to cite the BAGD, Ev?
logos, ho, verbal noun of legô:

I. computation, reckoning (cf. legô (B) II).

II. relation, correspondence, proportion.

III. explanation,

IV. inward debate of the soul (cf. l. hon autê pros hautên hê psuchê diexerchetai.

V. continuous statement, narrative (whether fact or fiction), oration, etc.

VI. verbal expression or utterance.

VIII. thing spoken of, subject-matter.

IX. expression, utterance, speech regarded formally, to apo [psuchês] rheuma dia tou stomatos ion meta phthongou.

X. Word or Wisdom of God, personified as his agent in creation and world-government.
Precisely why this title is attributed to Christ Jesus. See 1Jn1:1-2; Rev19:13. See Jn1:1-3,10; Heb1:2..cf..Heb11:3; Prov8:30 etc..etc..
He's going to go for the 'literal dabar'. What does this mean?
That the word "Word" in John1, Rev20:4, and Matt5:37 must mean the same thing e.g. "A breath of air!". It's fallacy of equivocation.
What do they actually mean?
John1- Christ. See Gen1:2..cf..Ex3:2,4..cf..Isaiah9:6 [LXX]..cf..the Memra [Word of YHWH]. It's his role in creation. He is the voice of God, as the one who plows is the 'plower'.
Rev20:4- If not Christ, the written word of God, more specifically, the Gospel.
Matt5:37- A literal vibration of atmosphereic particles.

Upvote 0

Future Man

Priest of God and the Lamb
Aug 20, 2002
✟470.00
Faith
Calvinist
This doesn't really make you "cool". :D

No, they say nothing of the kind - and your consistent refusal to explain why you think that they do, only goes to show that you haven't examined his proof texts in any detail whatsoever.

So essentially you have admitted defeat. So be it. The act is not convincing. You've already demonstrated that you won't and cannot form a response. I'll cease requesting, until you can do so.

I have already presented a perfectly adequate rebuttal, and you are in no position to ask for more.

"Nuh Uh!!" is not a response. And it certainly doesn't help your case.

No, I believe that the word was divine, and that it was not a person until it "became flesh" in the form of Jesus of Nazareth.

Assertion, assertion. I suppose John was a man sent from [a] 'divine'.

Sent from an adjective?

John's use of theos in verse 1 is qualitative, not definitive.

Ev evidently did not read any of the links provided. Try Dr. Harley again. And if you would like, check out the debate between him and Stafford @ www.jude3.net before you try to go any further on this.

I suggest you read Paul Dixon's thesis on this subject, and forget about Colwell's Rule.

He suggests you ditch all material written by credible scholars and go the route of crazed "under the bridge" theologians. This is worse than the WTS citing 'Johannes Gerber' as an "authority". But gee, maybe I *should* listen to him. Afterall, he was the one who was "given" the translation of "a god' in 'visions'. :rolleyes: :D

Thankyou for posting the opinions of men who support your conclusions by default.

Rather, thank you for posting the opinions of men who know what they are talking about.

Upvote 0

Future Man

Aug 20, 2002
✟470.00
Faith
Calvinist
Now I would like you to argue your case by quoting scholars whose Christology is in opposition to your own, as I have done.

Sure Ev, but who are we left with to cite? Greg Stafford? (Sound familiar?) Edgar Foster? :D I much prefer *respected*, honest scholars.

That is the only way you will win any credibility with me.

No one wants credibilty with you. They just want to stamp out the obviously poor theology.

gotta love the humor

It would be funny if he weren't serious. :(

God bless--FM

Upvote 0

Evangelion

<b><font size="2">δυνατός</b></font>
AV -

He suggests you ditch all material written by credible scholars and go the route of crazed "under the bridge" theologians.

Straw man. Name one "crazed, 'under the bridge' theologian" that I have quoted in my debates here. FYI, I have used Robertson, Barnes, Vincent, Clarke, Martin, Decker, and many others.

Sure Ev, but who are we left with to cite?

Well, that's actually part of my point! :D

But if you had been blessed with an adequate education, you would have a few names in mind already. :cool:

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟551,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The Anit-WOF has become a cult. Take for example:
The Doctrine of Super Sovereignty.
This is a manufactured doctrine designed solely for the purpose of refuting the faith movement teaching concerning faith and prayer. The doctrine of super sovereignty basically states that God is so sovereign, that He does no have to keep His own word, and essentially renders the new covenant invalid. This doctrine presumes that to take God at His word is an act of presumption, and is an attempt to "force God", or to make Him into a puppet. We cannot trust God to do what He said He would do, lest we elevate ourselves to Godhood and subjugate God to our will. In short, the anti-faith movement teaches that we cannot know or act on the word of God, since His will changes at a whim. We can only "trust Him to do what is best for us". This doctrine honors the gospel in word only, and when pressed will state that the promises of God are all subject to the immediate and individual will of God for each person.
Despite the fact that the all the promises of God are in Him yes and in Him amen, the supersovereigntist insists that there is still some actions or deeds or religious observation we need to endure in order to bring God around to the place where He will decide to bless.
Despite the fact that the word of God says that He has given us all things that pertain to live and godliness, the supersoverigntiest insists that God has in fact _not_ done this, and in fact is now withholding good things from us for some unknowable reason.
Despite the fact that the Jesus repeatedly calls upon us to ask whatsoever we desire that our joy may be full, the supersovereigntist insists that these words are meaningless, and that there exists no promise in the Bible for our health, healing, or prosperity.

Upvote 0

fieldsofwind

Oct 6, 2002
Visit site
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
Posted by evangelion about someone: "But if you had been blessed with an adequate education, you would have a few names in mind already."

Again... why do you feel the need to put others down because of your own opinions regarding their education? -- You have no idea of how or when anyone here has been educated.

and... the refutations to your arguements are available for your browsing in the preceeding posts.

take care

FOW

Upvote 0

Evangelion

Why don't you sit down and take a long, hard look at the stuff that's been coming my way, FOW? Why is it OK in your eyes for FutureMan to fire off his immature little barbs, but when I pull him back into line, you think that's wrong?

For your information, I've been debating this boy for the best part of a year - and he has tacitly confessed that he has no more than a high school education (as if it wasn't obvious from his posts.)

The point I am making here, is that people who do not have the requisite education, are in no position to talk down to those of us who do.

Selah. :cool:

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟551,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Evangelion

The point I am making here, is that people who do not have the requisite education, are in no position to talk down to those of us who do.

That is a good joke....
I work at a State college in the IT department. I regularly work with people who have masters degrees and doctorates. I always find it funny when someone starts lording it over people because he thinks his "education" somehow makes his words more meaningful and important than someone without that education. I am not lying when I say that most of them must have gotten these sheepskins off of road kill. A degree is absolutely nothing. In 90% of the real world, all it means is that mommy and daddy had enough money to send you to a party school where you skinned through and learned just enough to get by.
I had the opportunity to spend a number of my early years working in a cotton mill. These people are hard working, honest, and most do not even have a HS education (the average is 10th grade). Yet in terms of pure common sense, I would trust them more than your average college graduate.
It is not the HS and less graduate who has placed the world in the mess it is in. It is the college grad who does not have the sense God gave him. So don't assume that because you have some sort of education that people should listen to you about anything.
Give me a man with common sense any day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fieldsofwind

Oct 6, 2002
Visit site
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
evangelion... I could easily go into all of the info that I have "pasted" and paraphrase it all... I could make it look just like your's. Do you get the idea here... the ideas you have are disagreed with by the great majority of "scholars" out there.

You forget the fact that God was with those that translated His word. They were extremely knowledgable in every area needed for this task, and regardless... God was with them. If you don't believe that, then why believe any of it.

I believe the word... as it is right here before me. I have posted numerous web-cites that use information or quote information from the "scholars" pertaining to Christ's Deity. You do not refute them at all. If you would like to attempt to begin doing so... go for it.

take care

FOW

Upvote 0

Future Man

Aug 20, 2002
✟470.00
Faith
Calvinist
Hello Evangelion and God bless-

>

Straw man. Name one "crazed, 'under the bridge' theologian" that I have quoted in my debates here. FYI, I have used Robertson, Barnes, Vincent, Clarke, Martin, Decker, and many others.
You seem to misunderstand the entire scenario. "Crazed, 'under the bridge' theologians" is in referrence to whom WE are left to cite. Not you. Re-read:
>
"Now I would like you to argue your case by quoting scholars whose Christology is in opposition to your own, as I have done."
>
Robertson, Barnes, Vincent, Clarke, etc.. are theologians opposite to YOUR view, not necessarily ours. Now I repeat, who does that leave US with i.e. in opposition to our view.
>
I may also state just how unecessary this method is. One should judge citations by the evidence presented in *comparison* with all else. Wether or not they are in "opposition" to one's view is irrelevent as you cite them in order to agree with you in any event. This is called laying out 'facts' not mere anti-bias material.
If I want to demonstrate that the earth is a globe, a 'flat-earther' publication is the last source of information I am going to research in order to prove my argument.
The only valid reason for implementing your methodology is to avoid the accusation of 'bias'. However if you weigh the evidence carefully you will not need to make this cry. :rolleyes:.
Think about it.

Well, that's actually part of my point!

But if you had been blessed with an adequate education, you would have a few names in mind already.
Please don't tout your "education" again. I'm glad you seek such, but it's not enough to impress me or anyone else.
In fact, most main stream apologists would scoff. ;)

>

For your information, I've been debating this boy for the best part of a year - and he has tacitly confessed that he has no more than a high school education (as if it wasn't obvious from his posts.)

Interestingly that is all the education one needs in dealing with you. Takes little imagination as to *why* you don't debate the hard-hitters out there. :idea:

And this is the common form of response I usually recieve. I've learned to take this in stride as he does this with apologists and their arguments he's never even read. :rolleyes:

And this is a persistent problem with Ev on other forums. EVERYONE has to hear about his education. When pressed for an answer in a correspondence with JPHolding, he resorted to a condescending attitude in expressing his "superior education" over that of JP.

When everyone sees him fall on his face, in his own mind he's rising. :)

God bless--FM

Upvote 0

Evangelion

AV -

And this is a persistent problem with Ev on other forums. EVERYONE has to hear about his education.

No, you're missing the point.

The point is that you're trying to treat me like an idiot, with your condescension and patronising posts. But you are in no position to lord it over me, especially since you don't even have (a) a consistent hermeneutic, and (b) a coherent Christological schema.

If you patronise me as if I'm a 3rd grade moron, I will defend myself by reminding you of my education. That's not boasting - it merely emphasises the fact that you are in no position to get uppity. So if you don't want to hear about my education, all you have to do is lay off the petty jibes, and stop pretending that you're a Rhodes scholar with a world-wide reputation and a Nobel prize on the shelf.

Selah. :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.