Do you all accept biblical inerrancy/infallibility and why?

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Doesn't it say "on Earth as it is in Heaven" rather than "in Earth as it is in Heaven"? That is how I memorized the prayer, but of course the original prayer was probably in Aramaic.
In

• Informative
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,309.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
When it comes to trees (and all life), I like to think of the word "connecting". Trees are connected to each other through the earth, and communicate with each other and with the plants and other living beings (including humans) who are also connected to every other living being. When we do harm to one, we do harm to all, including ourselves. Too often, humans refuse to listen to the extremely active, vibrant, living world all around.
To add on to your words, I also like to use the word "Life Force". In other words, there is a Life Force that runs all through life. I perceive it more of the essence of Life than as a connection. More like the very essence of all Life. Maybe using the image of "Spark of Life" is a better?

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Do you all accept biblical inerrancy/infallibility and why? Shouldn't God be the standard rather than a book?

Good question.... one of the reasons as to why I believe in the fulfillment of every word of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation is that the original Hebrew and Greek is written in a way that leaves Messiah Yeshua - Jesus, (to whom all judgment has been committed by the Father).... with the option to fulfill really scary verses in a manner that is astonishingly positive.

I attempted to get into this idea a couple of days ago:

Are we lacking understanding of the sense of humour of God?

Did you ever notice the possible loopholes in the Book of Revelation?

Revalation talks about grass being burned up but Isaiah said that all flesh is as grass....... and certainly Acts of the Apostles 2
shows how fire can burn up one hundred and twenty sincere people so..........
could the burning up of a third of the trees and all of the grass have a positive meaning implying an off the scale Awakening as more and more of the Holy Spirit is poured out???

A related question would be.... has our Creator left Himself loopholes in scripture that would allow for a surprisingly positive fulfillment for scary predictions in Revelation and throughout all the Bible?

I have heard that English is a legalistic language that has been evolving partly due to the efforts of lawyers and legislators to produce loophole free clauses and sentences.

I've also heard that Hebrew and Greek are very different from English in that they allow for a much more rich and potentially varied fulfillment of sentences that may seem very dogmatic and simplistic (and really, really scary), to us English speaking Christians.

Revelation 8
"The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up."

Isaiah 40
"The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field:"

So... .could a massive awakening of one third of humanity fulfill the full intent and meaning of those scary verses in Revelation 8??????

We humans are compared with trees???

Psalms 1
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

I have to admit that I do hope that this could answer many of the questions that do tend to trouble us Christians?

The following account sure does remind me of so many predictions in Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and the minor prophets.

Isaiah 11

Howard Storm's Near-Death Experience

(Howard Storm, near-death .com) :
The image of the future that they gave me then, and it was their image, not one that I created, surprised me. My image had previously been sort of like Star Wars, where everything was space age, plastics, and technology.

The future that they showed me was almost no technology at all. What everybody, absolutely everybody, in this euphoric future spent most of their time doing was raising children. The chief concern of people was children, and everybody considered children to be the most precious commodity in the world.

And when a person became an adult, there was no sense of anxiety, nor hatred, nor competition.

There was this enormous sense of trust and mutual respect. If a person, in this view of the future, became disturbed, then the community of people all cared about the disturbed person falling away from the harmony of the group. Spiritually, through prayer and love, the others would elevate the afflicted person.

What people did with the rest of their time was that they gardened, with almost no physical effort. They showed me that plants, with prayer, would produce huge fruits and vegetables.

People, in unison, could control the climate of the planet through prayer. Everybody would work with mutual trust and the people would call the rain, when needed, and the sun to shine.

Animals lived with people, in harmony.

People, in this best of all worlds, weren't interested in knowledge; they were interested in wisdom. This was because they were in a position where anything they needed to know, in the knowledge category, they could receive simply through prayer. Everything, to them, was solvable. They could do anything they wanted to do.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Just imagine you are Abram (later Abraham of course) living in the city of Ur. There is probably a religious text describing that culture's gods that is as esteemed as the Bible is among Christians today.

Now you (Abram) hear the voice of God telling you to worship him ahead of all other gods. Many Christians claim that these sorts of experiences should be rejected if not in compliance with the Bible. The religious text of Abram's culture (their Bible) would have told Abram to reject this voice of God. ... See where I'm going with this?

The Book of Jasher that has been available for several centuries at least does a good job of elaborating on the circumstances of the calling of Abraham.

Book of Jasher, Chapter 1

Abraham is introduced in chapter 11

Book of Jasher, Chapter 11

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
That's the Bible!

The only thing outstanding is whether or not the Bible is what it claims to be,

The Bible isn't even a singular thing, it's a collection of 66 different books, some of which with very different theological perspectives. Trying to pretend it represents a singular "word from God" is misleading, but this is the stuff of religious indoctrination and priestcraft.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
From cover to cover it kinda teaches... self serving ways of man bad, selfless ways focused on others good.

That's not even a message that is unique to the Bible.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
A universal solution for universal woes. Your point?

I don't need the Bible to tell me selfishness is bad. Anyone with sufficient reflective consciousness can realize that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't need the Bible to tell me selfishness is bad. Anyone with sufficient reflective consciousness can realize that.
Exactly. That 'realization' is inerrant and infallible as a way of life. God speaks/is truth. He doesn't spout religion. But what in contained in the Bible shows by example the pitfalls of 'self', the merits of 'others' and the foundations for two different lifes. Call it an instruction manual.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The Bible isn't even a singular thing, it's a collection of 66 different books, some of which with very different theological perspectives. Trying to pretend it represents a singular "word from God" is misleading, but this is the stuff of religious indoctrination and priestcraft.
There are even at least 3 different Bible canons inside Christianity with different number of books.

And these books have at least three major textual versions that differ from each other significantly (Jewish, Greek and Latin Old Testament).

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Exactly. That 'realization' is inerrant and infallible as a way of life. God speaks/is truth. He doesn't spout religion. But what in contained in the Bible shows by example the pitfalls of 'self', the merits of 'others' and the foundations for two different lifes. Call it an instruction manual.

I don't see inherit merit in others- people are good or bad based on their actions and an "other" isn't automatically good just because they are other. Rather I understand the self as existing in a relational rather than absolute manner. People that recognize this tend to act with a measure of consideration and compassion.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
People that recognize this tend to act with a measure of consideration and compassion.
True enough but self determination of good or evil is not infallible. It is often in the eye of the beholder according to agenda.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
"Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law.
They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them."

R 2:14

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
There are even......
Though there are even .....

differences among men.....

yet Yahweh Always , Always, Does and Says the Truth:

"Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law.
They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them."

R 2:14

Upvote 0