Do you all accept biblical inerrancy/infallibility and why?

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes I believe in the inerrancy of the Bible because I believe that God guards His word.

And how can we really know Him without it?

Otherwise there would have been no reason for Scripture in the first place.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you all accept biblical inerrancy/infallibility and why? Shouldn't God be the standard rather than a book?

Yes, because it is the word of God. He cannot err, nor is he fallible in any way, so it must be that his word is the same.

I'm confused on the dichotomy you are creating between God and what he has said. Taking him as the standard is the same as the Scriptures as the standard. It is from him, he is the true author of it, and reveals himself and his will through it.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Have the scriptures been tampered with? Who knows but more than likely so. But the message is clear from start to finish. God's will before our own.
Just imagine you are Abram (later Abraham of course) living in the city of Ur. There is probably a religious text describing that culture's gods that is as esteemed as the Bible is among Christians today.

Now you (Abram) hear the voice of God telling you to worship him ahead of all other gods. Many Christians claim that these sorts of experiences should be rejected if not in compliance with the Bible. The religious text of Abram's culture (their Bible) would have told Abram to reject this voice of God. ... See where I'm going with this?

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"dichotomy"? ?

Sons of disobedience cannot grasp the truth of the Creator and His Word until He grants it.

The natural mind can be made to believe (and willingly does) just about anything false, and always to question and to deny without faith what is truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God's Word is an ocean into which we have only begun to dip our collective toes...

I believe it is a coded Book, and that that coding was done by such a Mind that no human mind or computer could do it. Simultaneous coding on multi-levels could only be done by God

The coding was explored in the past by Ivan Panin and others. Today, by the Meru Project and some crazies who call themselves the "Code Gang." It is mind-blowing.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It is not a science book nor even history book as we think of history. But it is a theology book. I turn to it for inspiration.
I would say it isn't even a theology book. The letters of Paul were not written to teach theology in most cases. It is almost at times like Paul wrote down a list of groceries for Timothy (or whoever) to buy at the market and somehow Christians look for inspiration there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is almost at times like Paul wrote down a list of groceries for Timothy (or whoever) to buy at the market and somehow Christians look for inspiration there.
Basically how to run a commune based on loving all as self. Opportunists later institutionalised it and turned it into a business where people gave money for salvation and protection and when that one flopped, for advice and even political direction.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am convinced that a 'plain reading' of the Bible can often lead us to incorrect understandings and conclusions. Some advise to 'read in context' but even reading several verses before and after is not sufficient. A full context would include an understanding of Jewish history and culture, their cosmology, their religious beliefs and traditions and also of the Jewish literary traditions. An understanding of all of this can lead us into drawing quite different conclusions from some stories than most people are used to.

I approach the Bible like a prospector would approach his claim. I am prepared to spend a lot of time and effort searching for the shining nuggets of wisdom and insight but I am also prepared to have to shift a lot of rubble in order to find them.

I have to agree with this:
Rabbi Brian Zachary Mayer wrote ~~~ I do not take the Bible literally. But I take it seriously. To take it literally would mean that I believe that every word, as it is written, was spoken by God. I cannot do that. But I can and do take it seriously. To take the Bible seriously means to examine it in its time and for the culture in which it was written. I want to offer up a very handy distinction that can help in our understanding of the Bible. That distinction I would like to make is revealed in the two words: true and truth. True is if it actually happened. It is a fact of history. Truth is the moral. It is the actual essence of things. I do not believe that most of the biblical stories are true stories. But I sure do believe that they are truth stories. It doesn’t matter to me if the Red Sea parted or if Noah had an ark. I don’t care if Jonah was swallowed by a whale or if that’s not necessarily factually so. To me, the great meaning of these stories has nothing to do with whether they’re historically accurate or not. Whether Jonah slept or didn’t sleep for three nights in the proverbial halibut hotel does not take away from the moral of the story – that it is human nature to run away from the things that we don’t want to do. I don’t believe this historically happened. I don’t believe Jonah was swallowed by a great fish and brought to the bottom of the sea-world after not doing what he knew he had to do. This is a truth story. Not a true story. This is a story about humanity, about me, about the troubles we get into when we don’t do what we should do and about how it will bring us down to the very bottom of our existence. It’s a truth story, not a true story. And if we look at the miracles in the Bible as truth stories, what we learn from these stories will be liberative for us. In this important way the Bible can be a very liberating force in our lives. If we read the Bible in this way we will probably fight less with what we read in the Bible. Moreover, seeking the "truth" of the stories can allow us to have meaningful conversations with people who might read the stories to be true stories rather than truth ones. The truth aspect of the story offers a place of connection between myself and those who read the words literally.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just imagine you are Abram (later Abraham of course) living in the city of Ur. There is probably a religious text describing that culture's gods that is as esteemed as the Bible is among Christians today.

Now you (Abram) hear the voice of God telling you to worship him ahead of all other gods. Many Christians claim that these sorts of experiences should be rejected if not in compliance with the Bible. The religious text of Abram's culture (their Bible) would have told Abram to reject this voice of God. ... See where I'm going with this?

Yes I see BUT I think you are forgetting at the end of Revelation 22:18+19
Jesus warns strictly against anyone adding (or taking away from the Bible) .

Meaning it was complete and finished.

So therefore we now can measure anything that anyone says and if it adds or says different from the Bible we know it is false.

Which is where people get into trouble and deceived because they believe contrary to what the Bible (Gods very words) say.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am prepared to spend a lot of time and effort searching for the shining nuggets of wisdom and insight but I am also prepared to have to shift a lot of rubble in order to find them.
Yet from cover to cover it is about putting the will of the Father ahead of our own. Jesus summed it up in a simple commandment and built the Lord's Prayer around it. the OT and New is full of instances of what happens when man puts man's will first and the consequences. God doesn't ask much. Man likes to complicate things and make religions to sound important and wise. Pharisee thinking is alive and well in Christianity. God asked only a couple of things, His will first and that we love all as self. All the rest is filler.

• Agree
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0