Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I already did, now answer the question. What constitutes work?
I'm not under the law, so it doesn't really matter.

For those under the law, I think there are guidelines given.
No occupational work, no food gathering or prep, no "fire-making".
Travel restrictions apply, as well. Probably no creative acts.
Because God resting from all the work of creating.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There will not be any manna to gather on the Sabbath day (Exodus 16:26). Did the children of Israel work for any man while they walked by faith in the wilderness?
What was the point of establishing the Sabbath day of rest if no one was working? - lol
No food gathering was allowed on the Sabbath. The Jews understood this in Jesus' day.

Matthew 12:1-2
At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them. 2 When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, “Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath.”

Upvote 0

Mercy74

Mercy Messianic Judaism
Mar 15, 2017
Usa
✟52,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not under the law, so it doesn't really matter.

For those under the law, I think there are guidelines given.
No occupational work, no food gathering or prep, no "fire-making".
Travel restrictions apply, as well. Probably no creative acts.
Because God resting from all the work of creating.
You are worse, you are under grace (Romans 6:14). You have fallen form grace.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are worse, you are under grace (Romans 6:14). You have fallen form grace.
Nope.
That's for those who are trying to be justified by the law.

Galatians 5:4
You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

Upvote 0

Mercy74

Mercy Messianic Judaism
Mar 15, 2017
Usa
✟52,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
What was the point of establishing the Sabbath day of rest if no one was working? - lol
No food gathering was allowed on the Sabbath. The Jews understood this in Jesus' day.

Matthew 12:1-2
At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them. 2 When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, “Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath.”
There was no "harvesting" on the Sabbath; which meant large quantities; not a handful or immediate gratification for hunger. This type of gathering was reserved for strangers. There were large quantities of manna that fell from heaven for each day; double portion on the 6th day; no manna fell from heaven on the 7th day. It was unlawful to gather manna during the Sabbath because there was no fresh manna that fell from heaven to gather up to carry back to their tents.

Upvote 0

Mercy74

Mercy Messianic Judaism
Mar 15, 2017
Usa
✟52,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Nope.
That's for those who are trying to be justified by the law.

Galatians 5:4
You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.
What does "under grace" mean? This mean grace is above you, beyond your reach. If you fall from a cliff, this would mean the cliff would be above you and you would be under the cliff.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was no "harvesting" on the Sabbath; which meant large quantities; not a handful or immediate gratification for hunger. This type of gathering was reserved for strangers. There were large quantities of manna that fell from heaven for each day; double portion on the 6th day; no manna fell from heaven on the 7th day. It was unlawful to gather manna during the Sabbath because there was no fresh manna that fell from heaven to gather up to carry back to their tents.
What was the point of the Sabbath then? (in Ex.16)

Exodus 16:23
He said to them, “This is what the Lord commanded: ‘Tomorrow is to be a day of sabbath rest, a holy sabbath to the Lord. So bake what you want to bake and boil what you want to boil. Save whatever is left and keep it until morning.’”

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Do Sabbath Keepers KEEP the Sabbath?
They certainly do not if they recognize Isaiah 58 as their guide.
13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

Israelites failed to keep the day Holy, so why do people today believe they can do better?

One of the reasons I never really enjoyed the Sabbath is because I was honest with myself. After the Sabbath I would critique myself to see how well I "behaved". My thoughts and words and sometimes even my actions kept me from what I believed was the standard for keeping Sabbath, Is 58. In actuality, all I was doing is putting on a good front to my peers. After a while, I learned they were doing the same thing. So much for trying to cover up what in reality I could not ever do. The cover-up was the real sin. What a relief it was when I found out that Christianity isn't about keeping ritual days given only to the now-defunct nation of Israel. I still rest from my labor, but my real rest is in Jesus.

The command was not only to rest on the Sabbath, it was also about working not five but six days a week. How many who believe the 10 are their guide are working six days a week?

Sounds like a personal problem to me---the problem is not with the Sabbath but with you.
We all work 6 days a week---which---as has been stated many times already and to which you ignore---the 6 days is doing our own work and pleasure. You may work at a paying job only 3 days a week but there are still the other 6 days to do you own work and pleasure. In fact, like me, some are disabled and can not work or retired. That still leaves 6 days to do our own work and pleasure---laundry, housework, buying groceries, gardening, so one---the 7th day belongs to God. And of course our rest is in Jesus--every day---but God commands the 7th day set aside to stop our labors and doing our own pursuits and spend with Him. If you do not want to do that---then don't. Just quite pretending you are still doing the will of God by disobeying what He says and calling those who do what His says hypocrites and liars and teaching falsehoods!!
Do it or not---your choice. It's just a day and it was just a piece of fruit. We have always been given a choice

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like a personal problem to me---the problem is not with the Sabbath but with you.
We all work 6 days a week---which---as has been stated many times already and to which you ignore---the 6 days is doing our own work and pleasure. You may work at a paying job only 3 days a week but there are still the other 6 days to do you own work and pleasure. In fact, like me, some are disabled and can not work or retired. That still leaves 6 days to do our own work and pleasure---laundry, housework, buying groceries, gardening, so one---the 7th day belongs to God. And of course our rest is in Jesus--every day---but God commands the 7th day set aside to stop our labors and doing our own pursuits and spend with Him. If you do not want to do that---then don't. Just quite pretending you are still doing the will of God by disobeying what He says and calling those who do what His says hypocrites and liars and teaching falsehoods!!
Do it or not---your choice. It's just a day and it was just a piece of fruit. We have always been given a choice
Why do you think the Sabbath is for everyone?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Why do you think the Sabbath is for everyone?

It is for everyone that is interested in doing what God says. It is for our benefit. For our physical, spiritual and mental health.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is for everyone that is interested in doing what God says. It is for our benefit. For our physical, spiritual and mental health.
Now you are backpedaling. Here's what you said just a few posts ago.

Just quite pretending you are still doing the will of God by disobeying what He says and calling those who do what His says hypocrites and liars and teaching falsehoods!!
How did we get from "doing the will of God" and "disobeying what He says" to "It is for everyone that is interested" and "It is for our benefit"?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Now you are backpedaling. Here's what you said just a few posts ago.

How did we get from "doing the will of God" and "disobeying what He says" to "It is for everyone that is interested" and "It is for our benefit"?

Don't understand your problem. I said what I mean, there is no backpedaling.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mercy74

Mercy Messianic Judaism
Mar 15, 2017
Usa
✟52,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
What was the point of the Sabbath then? (in Ex.16)

Exodus 16:23
He said to them, “This is what the Lord commanded: ‘Tomorrow is to be a day of sabbath rest, a holy sabbath to the Lord. So bake what you want to bake and boil what you want to boil. Save whatever is left and keep it until morning.’”
When they faithfully obeyed YHWH the food did not stink or have maggots in it (Exodus 16:24). Amen.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
How much "walking" by faith constitutes work? Faith without works is dead (James 2:17).

So you consider faith a work and at some point it can become prohibited? Um....huh?

Upvote 0

Mercy74

Mercy Messianic Judaism
Mar 15, 2017
Usa
✟52,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
So you consider faith a work and at some point it can become prohibited? Um....huh?
Faith is dead without works like the body is dead without the spirit. However faith must be according to the law; the law is spiritual (Romans 7:14). The body and the spirit are not the same so why would faith and works be the same? One is made alive by the other. How much "walking" constitutes work? Does "walking" within the radius of your tent constitute work? I am asking you this difficult question because I know you know and study the law as I do.

Upvote 0

Mercy74

Mercy Messianic Judaism
Mar 15, 2017
Usa
✟52,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Faith is made alive through works; the body is made alive through the spirit. The body of Christ is dead without the spirit.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Faith is made alive through works; the body is made alive through the spirit. The body of Christ is dead without the spirit.

There are those who have no faith but produce good works. But works are a product of faith, or at least should be. Yes, it is said that faith without works is dead.

Upvote 0