Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Do you walk to church? Did you make your bed when you got up? Turn on any lights? Do you travel far to church that requires driving your car and buying gas? Do you eat pre-prepared cold sandwiches and do not use your stove? Do you do the dishes after meals?

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Define "keep the Sabbath".
Good question. I wonder if all the non-Jewish Sabbatarians refrain from the 37 categories of work enumerated in the Talmud? I was once fostered in the home of Seventh Day Adventists. Their son had his own car. He and I were taking some young ladies home from church one Sabbath, there was some problem with the car so we went to his home and he was trying to fix the problem when his father came home. His father went ballistic and told his son to take the father's car and take the young ladies home. That was 60+ years ago I don't recall any other Sabbath related issues.
I once worked with a retired NY city police officer. When he retired he was the negotiator who worked the NYC bank robbery on which the movie "Dog Day Afternoon." was based. He once told me that when he was a young foot patrolman working in the Jewish neighborhoods it was not unusual for Jewish housewives to come down on Friday afternoons after sunset and get the Goy policeman to come up and turn off their stoves because they forgot and they couldn't even turn the stove off.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you walk to church? Did you make your bed when you got up? Turn on any lights? Do you travel far to church that requires driving your car and buying gas? Do you eat pre-prepared cold sandwiches and do not use your stove? Do you do the dishes after meals?
The answer to your thread title is a resounding no. The OT says so.

Upvote 0

AHunbleServant

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2019
Lake Arrowhead
✟27,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do drive my car to church, but that is not against keeping the Sabbath.

I do eat pre-prepared foods. I prepare the day before as it speaks in Exodus 16:5. On the sixth day, you are to prepare a double portion for that day and for the 7th day.

Even if I fail at one, I am guilty of all, but Yeshua/Jesus gives GRACE.

I do understand that "Jewish" people try hard to keep the Law to the 'T' but you're missing the whole point! The Sabbath is meant to rest in the presence of God.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I do eat pre-prepared foods. I prepare the day before as it speaks in Exodus 16:5. On the sixth day, you are to prepare a double portion for that day and for the 7th day.

Even if I fail at one, I am guilty of all, but Yeshua/Jesus gives GRACE.

I do understand that "Jewish" people try hard to keep the Law to the 'T' but you're missing the whole point! The Sabbath is meant to rest in the presence of God.
Oh. I had a neighbor whose vehicle was an ox when in the ditch and a vehicle when using it. A vehicle takes the place of an ox or donkey. Of course there weren't vehicles in the day of Moses. Your ox or donkey couldn't pull a cart either. If a cart was being used it would be a burden bearer and conludn't be used on the sabbath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
This is what God said about the Sabbath and it is He we listen to, not the Talmud nor what other people say we should or should not do.

Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Isa 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
Isa 58:14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

Anything other than this is not a part of Sabbath keeping. No need to add of bunch of stuff that is not a part of this. A car does not need to rest and you gas it up before the Sabbath, What the city, or the country does on that day is not a part of it---it clearly says we are to control only what is within our gates.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Well, at least one user (I don't want to say his name) makes it sound like that.

"Makes it sound like that?" Maybe that's just what you think he is saying!

• Winner
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

As a Sabbatarian, I don't take it to that extent. It is true that in the OT, Israel had strict laws, but this doesn't mean it applied to every person in the world. However, setting one day apart to God in the week is a moral duty to every person, for some Saturday is seen to remain since creation while others sees Sunday after the pattern of the early church in the NT.

"The Sabbath is kept holy to the Lord when people have first prepared their hearts appropriately and arranged their everyday affairs in advanced. Then they observe a holy rest all day from their own works, words and thoughts about their secular employment and recreation. Not only that, but they also fill the whole time with public and private acts of worship and the duties of necessity and mercy." - 2LBC 22:8

• Winner
Reactions: S.O.J.I.A.
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

The issue of how could of a job someone is doing of keeping the Sabbath is independent of the issue of whether followers of God ought to follow God. Even if those who seek to keep the Sabbath were not doing a good job of keeping it, then that would just mean that we would need to repent and seek to do a better job of obeying it, not that followers of God shouldn't follow God.

However, the Sabbath is extremely easy to keep, but man tends to want to do everything in our power to make it complicated, so we must endeavor to keep it simple. For example, there are 24 chapters worth of traditions in the Mishnah for just how to correctly rest on Sabbath, which take what was intended as a day of rest focused on God's love for us and perverts it into a legalistic chore focused on the minutia. If someone were to spend the Sabbath worried about whether they were resting correctly, then they would be missing the whole point and would not be resting correctly.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I am sure this thread is based on some Adventist users who say we sin by worshipping on Sunday.

The Israelites had daily prayers and offerings, so they worshiped God on every day, so there is nothing wrong with having a tradition of worshiping God on Sunday, and in fact that is a good thing, however, that didn't stop them from also obeying God's command to keep the Sabbath holy. In Mark 7:6-13, Jesus criticised the Pharisees as being hypocrites for setting aside the commands of God in order to establish their own traditions, so the problem is not with someone having a tradition of worshiping God on Sunday, but with them hypocritically setting aside God's command to keep the Sabbath holy in order to establish their own tradition.

• Winner
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AHunbleServant

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2019
Lake Arrowhead
✟27,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh. I had a neighbor whose vehicle was an ox when in the ditch and a vehicle when using it. A vehicle takes the place of an ox or donkey. Of course there weren't vehicles in the day of Moses. Your ox or donkey couldn't pull a cart either. If a cart was being used it would be a burden bearer and conludn't be used on the sabbath.

An ox is a living being which could be considered a 'servant,' which God commands us to also not to put to work. A vehicle is not a living, breathing, being.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sabbath food gathering, travel and load bearing restrictions seem to be biblical.

Matthew 12:1-2
At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them. 2 When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, “Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath.”

Acts 1:12
Then the apostles returned to Jerusalem from the hill called the Mount of Olives, a Sabbath day’s walk from the city.

John 5:10
and so the Jewish leaders said to the man who had been healed, “It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat.”

Jeremiah 17:27
But if you do not obey me to keep the Sabbath day holy by not carrying any load as you come through the gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath day, then I will kindle an unquenchable fire in the gates of Jerusalem that will consume her fortresses.’”

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Actually it is, if it is on the Sabbath...you are igniting multiple flames per minute in a car.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually it is, if it is on the Sabbath...you are igniting multiple flames per minute in a car.
Right. Turning a key in the ignition is an act of creation. The starter begins a process that produces a current that creates sparks that ignite fuel flames dozens of times per second. And those sparks are consuming fuel as well.

This is why a synagogue is supposed to be within walking distance of your home. A Sabbath day's allowable walking distance.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Right. Turning a key in the ignition is an act of creation. The starter begins a process that produces a current that creates sparks that ignite fuel flames dozens of times per second. And those sparks are consuming fuel as well.

This is why a synagogue is supposed to be within walking distance of your home. A Sabbath day's allowable walking distance.

It is kindling a fire...

Upvote 0