Do Christians Consider it a Lack of Faith to Put Trust into Doctors?

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not really my point at all. If one has the means to go to a doctor or a grocery store that is not mean they lack faith. If you don't have the means, however, that will clearly stretch your faith.

If faith was an attitude of mind I might agree with you - but faith comes from hearing the Word of Christ in your spirit.

So to go to the doctor or not should not be a matter of having the means or not but rather obeying what Jesus says.

If persecution of the church hots up we may not have access to doctors - what then?

At that stage we will be looking more closely at the way the persecuted church operated in Acts and healing from brothers and sisters praying will be much more common.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If faith was an attitude of mind I might agree with you - but faith comes from hearing the Word of Christ in your spirit.

So to go to the doctor or not should not be a matter of having the means or not but rather obeying what Jesus says.

If persecution of the church hots up we may not have access to doctors - what then?

At that stage we will be looking more closely at the way the persecuted church operated in Acts and healing from brothers and sisters praying will be much more common.
You keep making more of this than there is. Do you wait for God's direction to tie your shoes? To drive to work? To go to sleep? I'm assuming no. However if in performing those tasks or any like them God speaks to you to do something different, THEN you have the opportunity to hear and obey. If my child is badly injured I'm not going to hesitate to call an ambulance, but at the same time I'm also going to seek God for direction and prayer strategy. These are not adversarial ideas as you make them out to be.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes my approach is similar to yours, but there are plenty of readers on CF who don't believe there is any alternative to going to a doctor.

I took a guy to Emergency the other day and felt to pray for him in the waiting room - he was healed and never took his meds.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Psalm 118:8 - " It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."

Doctors have been given wisdom from God to practice medicine, and we should heed their help whenever possible knowing that the glory belongs to the Lord regardless.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi, (this is a poorly constructed question)

I have noticed that a tiny minority of Christians (I'm not trying to make a hasty generalization here) don't really trust their doctors. I have heard some stories (and ongoing stories) about people refusing to go to the doctor, trusting that God will heal them of their sickness (in a divine way). Moreover, I have been kinda worried about these people.

I'm no doctor yet (I'm not even a pre-med student yet). However, I just feel a bit worried about this minority group of Christians. But, I don't know if it is right for me to feel this way.

Do Christians consider it a lack of faith (in regards to God) to put trust into Doctors?
For what it is worth 1. There are quite a few non-believers that don't trust their doctor. 2. The person is responsible for their own life and health and body. Not the rest of us. 3. It is a matter of conscience. "If your hand offends you cut it off!" 4. Some people come up with all the wrong reasons to do what they do, considering it a test of faith, as though that was premium on God's mind.

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Here's one of the scriptures you likely found, Jaedan:

(Luk 5:27) And after these things he went forth, and saw a publican, named Levi, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he said unto him, Follow me.
(Luk 5:28) And he left all, rose up, and followed him.
(Luk 5:29) And Levi made him a great feast in his own house: and there was a great company of publicans and of others that sat down with them.
(Luk 5:30) But their scribes and Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners?
(Luk 5:31) And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick.
(Luk 5:32) I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

what was the context - the subject - when Jesus used the word 'physician'? was it spiritual healing; or physical healing; or first spiritual healing (verse 30), then physical healing, then spiritual healing?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mark 16:

He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In My name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes with their hands, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not harm them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will be made well.”

• Winner
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jaden, here's one that you likely did not find in those searches, but may be familiar with:

(1Pe 2:20) For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.
(1Pe 2:21) For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
(1Pe 2:22) Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
(1Pe 2:23) Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
(1Pe 2:24) Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
(1Pe 2:25) For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

verse 24 is a quote from Isaiah:

(Isa 53:4) Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
(Isa 53:5) But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Isaiah 53:5 is interpreted by the Holy Spirit through Matthew to apply physical healing - confirmation in both Old and New Testaments:

(Mat 8:14) And when Jesus was come into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother laid, and sick of a fever.
(Mat 8:15) And he touched her hand, and the fever left her: and she arose, and ministered unto them.
(Mat 8:16) When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick:
(Mat 8:17) That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes my approach is similar to yours, but there are plenty of readers on CF who don't believe there is any alternative to going to a doctor.

I took a guy to Emergency the other day and felt to pray for him in the waiting room - he was healed and never took his meds.
Amen! This is what I'm talking about! A member of our congregation was once diagnosed with Lupus. We prayed for her, she went back for followup tests and it was gone! Going to the doctor didn't stop God.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I value my health providers and use a combination of traditional and natural methods for physical upkeep. I don’t subscribe to teachings that denounce medicine and I’ve been healed several times. Seeing a doctor didn’t hasten their removal. It glorified God.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

ForHimbyHim

May 18, 2020
Nairobi
✟55,269.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Doctors are skilled labourers, why would I not go to them, though they are also human and can get things wrong, give total misdiagnosis and that misdiagnosis can even kill you. Some medication, implants, etc, can give some serious side effects.

One thing that's for sure is that doctors can not save you from ultimate death, they can prolong your life though temporarily. But they can not save your spirit from death, only Jesus can do that.

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why pick on doctors? Do Christians trust electricians, carpenters, plumbers, engineers, auto repair shops, food stores, teachers, and all the other people who make our lives easier? If so, then why wouldn't they trust doctors?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,041.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jaden, here's one that you likely did not find in those searches, but may be familiar with:

(1Pe 2:20) For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.
(1Pe 2:21) For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
(1Pe 2:22) Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
(1Pe 2:23) Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
(1Pe 2:24) Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
(1Pe 2:25) For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

verse 24 is a quote from Isaiah:

(Isa 53:4) Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
(Isa 53:5) But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Isaiah 53:5 is interpreted by the Holy Spirit through Matthew to apply physical healing - confirmation in both Old and New Testaments:

(Mat 8:14) And when Jesus was come into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother laid, and sick of a fever.
(Mat 8:15) And he touched her hand, and the fever left her: and she arose, and ministered unto them.
(Mat 8:16) When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick:
(Mat 8:17) That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

Have you wondered why Paul never once taught us to declare "By his stripes we are healed"?

Why did he advise Timothy to drink a little wine instead?

Upvote 0