Sydney
✟198,870.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
What makes you think so, when He didn't tell us about the trillions of other planets in our galaxy and the billions of other galaxies with their own trillions of planets?

For all you know He could have quintillions of life experiments running on planets throughout the universe. Why should He tell us? - after all, He does move in mysterious ways...
First of all God doesn't ever experiment. Only those who know nothing, such as scientists need to experiment to discover why things are the way they are.

Secondly, He did mention the creation of the stars and and planets. He referred to them as the heavenly host, they were created for us to enjoy. It would be a boring night sky without them, He would have mentioned the creatures which live on those planets if there was any such thing.

We can't just add imaginary friends to God's creation, He promised to punish those who do this with eternal torment in hell fire.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟198,870.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
But He didn't necessarily tell us everything. Even John says so:

"And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen."
That's right Jesus did do many more things, which were not written down. This is very different to creating many more things. John would have said, "Jesus created many more things, if they were written the world couldn't contain them"

Heresy is spread, when false prophets add their own false doctrine to God's perfect inerrant Word. I would abandon my faith Christian immediately, if we found other intelligent biological life on another planet. That would make God an infidel, as He made man in His own image to have an intimate relationship with Him as a Father and son would have. To go behind our back and have extra marital relations with others would make Him unfaithful.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟198,870.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
That earlier John quote refutes this, dont you think?

It literally says Jesus did loads of things he hasnt told us about.
"Did" and "Create" are two different words. The Bible can't be understood by those who read it like a paper back novel. It needs to be studied, in it's entirety to get the whole picture.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
... He did mention the creation of the stars and and planets. He referred to them as the heavenly host, they were created for us to enjoy. It would be a boring night sky without them, He would have mentioned the creatures which live on those planets if there was any such thing.

We can't just add imaginary friends to God's creation, He promised to punish those who do this with eternal torment in hell fire.
Uh-huh. Well, for all your confidence about that, there are many Christians who are equally confident that you are mistaken. Who arbitrates?

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟174,600.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
.. The Bible can't be understood by those who read it like a paper back novel. It needs to be studied, in it's entirety to get the whole picture.
This 'picture' encourages the individual to walk away from all responsibilities for one's own actions, all for the sake of satisfying the subjugation needs of an apprarently insecure 'other'.
It also promotes diviseness amongst the world's population.

How does any of that approach add any practical benefit in navigating the real challenges of life in a vast universe?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
..Secondly, He did mention the creation of the stars and and planets. He referred to them as the heavenly host, they were created for us to enjoy. It would be a boring night sky without them, He would have mentioned the creatures which live on those planets if there was any such thing..
He could have just made lights on a firmament (where have I heard that?) rather than an unimaginably vast universe of trillions of galaxies. That seems absurdly ostentatious just for the sake of our boredom.

Plus, "host" actually sounds like beings.

I dont propose adding them until and unless we find them. Nor do I propose denying them. Right now they fit into the category of: the possible.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So how would you "test the spirits"?

One is that the spirit or person (since spirits most times work through people) confesses that Jesus Christ came in the flesh.
1 John 4
4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God.

Two is that they look to God for answers not to any practice that God condems.
Isaiah 8:19
And when they say to you, “Inquire of the mediums and the necromancers who chirp and mutter,” should not a people inquire of their God? Should they inquire of the dead on behalf of the living?

False teachers/evil spirits will not confess Christ, they will use methods God has condemned and will also perform 'miracles.'
Matthew 24:24
For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.

They will look the part but will teach falshood.
2 Corinthians 11:13-15
For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

We will know false teaching by scripture and the Holy Spirit
2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

John 14:26
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I'd like to know is.... how you know this. If it written in the Bible, I'd like to know where.

I understand that Christians should test all potential spirits. I dont see where its written that all apparent aliens will fail this test.

The Bible most times doesn't spell things out precisely, you know that. There isn't going to be a verse saying "Beware of aliens that land" it gives principles, things to watch out for. God tells us what he made, the earth and all that is on it and the spiritual realm. He tells us Satan will try to deceive us. Aliens are popular, why wouldn't Satan masquerade as one? If he can pretend to be an angel of light why not an alien? Isn’t he going to use whatever method that he thinks will work? In the same way I am quite sure ghost sightings are also demons.
If you see something it is going to either be physical, mental or spiritual.
How do you not see aliens landing (do you know how impossible that would be from a purely technology standpoint? ) as a possible deception of the end times? Which is what I am saying, it’s a possibility. A possibility isn’t a guarantee, it’s something to keep in mind and be aware of among all the other things.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A few posts are off topic and will be deleted. Try to stick to the topic of whether Aliens exists or not.

stay on topic SOP.jpg

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Let me just sum up my positions here:

- If extraterrestrial life exists, it's probably something simple, like unicellular organisms, or what we would recognize as plants or animals.

- If complex, 'intelligent' extraterrestrial life exists, it's probably nothing like humans, and has none of the traits we would associate with 'people', like individuality or emotions. I'm imagining something like a planet-wide hive mind made of coral or fungus, which may be able to understand advanced scientific principles and build complex technology, but it would be completely unable to comprehend things that we take for granted, like language or morality. If it was different enough psychologically from human beings, it would exist outside of the sin paradigm in the first place, thus making the issue of salvation irrelevant.

- I strongly doubt that there exist the kind of intelligent aliens you see in sci-fi stories, which are basically humans with a civilization like ours, which just look different. However I'm not completely ruling it out, since we can't know for sure what God has done even on earth, let alone in the rest of the universe. Maybe there will be aliens in Heaven who were saved somehow, and when God explains how it happened it will all make perfect sense. I mean, anything is theoretically possible. But I doubt it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
One is that the spirit or person (since spirits most times work through people) confesses that Jesus Christ came in the flesh.
1 John 4
4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God.

Two is that they look to God for answers not to any practice that God condems.

Isaiah 8:19
And when they say to you, “Inquire of the mediums and the necromancers who chirp and mutter,” should not a people inquire of their God? Should they inquire of the dead on behalf of the living?

False teachers/evil spirits will not confess Christ, they will use methods God has condemned and will also perform 'miracles.'

Matthew 24:24
For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.

They will look the part but will teach falshood.
2 Corinthians 11:13-15
For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

We will know false teaching by scripture and the Holy Spirit

2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

John 14:26
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.
OK, good luck with that...

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The Bible most times doesn't spell things out precisely, you know that. There isn't going to be a verse saying "Beware of aliens that land" it gives principles, things to watch out for.....
Ugh I was just told otherwise right here, that there are no possibilities in the Bible and everything is laid out in a way thats certain and not open to interpretation. That post seems to have vanished.

My sense is that if all the drama takes place only on this little tiny earth and in heaven (and maybe hell) then why why why this unfathomably enormous universe in which our sun is one of a hundred million in our galaxy, which itself is one of trillions? Something doesnt add up.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
"Did" and "Create" are two different words. The Bible can't be understood by those who read it like a paper back novel. It needs to be studied, in it's entirety to get the whole picture.
You are certainly right about that. It needs to be studied by the entire Christian community including historians, archaeologists, experts in biblical languages and extra-biblical contemporary literature, theologians, etc. The ordinary layman with nothing but an English translation in hand can't expect to get very far with it by himself.

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

See. Life is #1. They want to show evidence of abiogenesis at minimum. Likely, there won't be intelligent life there as they would've responded to the rovers. I'll make my main point at the end.

He's not stupid - he knows there's not another planet 'like ours' for at least 4 light years - probably much further. That's why he's focusing on Mars.

So, let's rule out those other planets too far away unless our technolgy advances. All the theories I've mentioned take those into account. I don't think our side is too concerned about microbes, but your side wants to show evolution.

Who said that?

Let's focus on NASA. They have the Perserverance Rovers left which will examine more of the surface of Mars in 2021. I think it will be looking to see if it's safe enough for human explaration below the surface of Mars. I think they've already concluded that they can manually shovel at the ice at one of the crators to get below the surface.

This won't happen until the 2030s, but even then they are worried about the solar wind hurting or killing the astronauts.

MY MAIN POINT:
Do you care if they do not find evidence for abiogenesis by the 2030s? More importantly, most likely you will die before anyone finds evidence of life outside of Earth?

Sorry, I don't mean to be macabre, but it's a good possibility no matter how young you are.

Meh - it seems I don't agree with you on NASA's funding.

Why not? What else do you think NASA will find on Mars?

They made a video of a fish swimming in water on Mars and was widely panned for it so they deleted it. Today, we find it has to below the surface of Mars and that won't happen until the 2030s. Who knows when they can explore Europa?

When both of those are complete, then we will know whether there exists other forms of life in our solar system.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟198,870.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
You are certainly right about that. It needs to be studied by the entire Christian community including historians, archaeologists, experts in biblical languages and extra-biblical contemporary literature, theologians, etc. The ordinary layman with nothing but an English translation in hand can't expect to get very far with it by himself.
Some people dismiss the Bible as an authority because it doesn't answer their questions regarding ET's/Aliens in simple terms. God has revealed everything He wants us to know about Himself and what He created, and there is no mention of Aliens in His creation. So I don't believe we have the liberty to invent things and then superimpose them on what He has revealed.

People talk about how big the universe is, that's an oxymoron as it's not big at all. The universe doesn't have a size, it can't be described as big as that term refers to a particular size. Just as God is outside of time and space, so is His universe, it's eternal in every direction.

If God decided to create Aliens, He would have told us. Why would he mention creeping things like snails and not mention intelligent beings.

All of these UFO and Alien sighting and encounters are Demonic. A reliable witness saw a "Grey Alien" and a "Big Foot" having a conversation deep in the woods. This suggests that both of these have a the same master, they were genetically engineered by Satan and His Demons. We know Satan's main goal is to deceive people and stop them from believing in the gospel and what better way then to use these creatures to lead people away from the truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
I don't think our side is too concerned about microbes, but your side wants to show evolution.
I'm not sure what you consider your 'side' to be, but my side, if I have one, is in favour of rational enquiry and exploration. I'm fairly sure that all involved would be happy to find indications of life regardless of evidence of evolution. But, as the instrumentation on these probes indicates, looking for life is only part of the mission.

MY MAIN POINT:
Do you care if they do not find evidence for abiogenesis by the 2030s? More importantly, most likely you will die before anyone finds evidence of life outside of Earth?

Sorry, I don't mean to be macabre, but it's a good possibility no matter how young you are.
There's evidence for abiogenesis on Earth, although not conclusive; but I care about finding evidence of life elsewhere to the extent that it would be far more interesting if life is found that is not like Earth's than otherwise. This would also boost the likelihood that life is common in the universe, which I would find cheering, given our current situation. I'm not holding my breath for it, if that's what you mean.

I'm in favour of the work NASA does - although I think there's room for improvement, as SpaceX has shown.

What else do you think NASA will find on Mars?
I don't know - the purpose of exploration is to find out.

When both of those are complete, then we will know whether there exists other forms of life in our solar system.
It depends what you mean by 'complete'. Each probe can only do a limited amount, so not finding life doesn't necessarily mean it's not there.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
All of these UFO and Alien sighting and encounters are Demonic. A reliable witness saw a "Grey Alien" and a "Big Foot" having a conversation deep in the woods. This suggests that both of these have a the same master, they were genetically engineered by Satan and His Demons. We know Satan's main goal is to deceive people and stop them from believing in the gospel and what better way then to use these creatures to lead people away from the truth.

I think it's much more likely that that account, as well as every other account of both 'bigfoot' and 'grey aliens', are all either hoaxes or delusions. Basically I don't believe that those two things even exist.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ugh I was just told otherwise right here, that there are no possibilities in the Bible and everything is laid out in a way thats certain and not open to interpretation. That post seems to have vanished.

That depends on the book and the verse. Some things are simple enough for a small child "Do not steal", others are deep with layers. The Bible is a collection of 66 books containing a variety of literature types from historical narrative, laws/commands, poetry & song, wisdom, parables, letters and prophesy.

My sense is that if all the drama takes place only on this little tiny earth and in heaven (and maybe hell) then why why why this unfathomably enormous universe in which our sun is one of a hundred million in our galaxy, which itself is one of trillions? Something doesnt add up.

Because he wanted to? Can't God do what he wants?

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not sure what you consider your 'side' to be, but my side, if I have one, is in favour of rational enquiry and exploration. I'm fairly sure that all involved would be happy to find indications of life regardless of evidence of evolution. But, as the instrumentation on these probes indicates, looking for life is only part of the mission.

It's creation science vs atheist science or evolution. I think NASA is wasting money, but doing its due diligence for atheist science to find abiogenesis and intelligent aliens. I found this in your atheist encyclopedia -- List of NASA missions - Wikipedia.

Here's some alien music for you haha.

There's evidence for abiogenesis on Earth, although not conclusive; but I care about finding evidence of life elsewhere to the extent that it would be far more interesting if life is found that is not like Earth's than otherwise. This would also boost the likelihood that life is common in the universe, which I would find cheering, given our current situation. I'm not holding my breath for it, if that's what you mean.

Not really.

It sounds like your answer is you wouldn't care if they didn't find any lower alien life before you die. That seems like the likelihood as NASA probably won't find life in our solar system. But that won't be until the Europa missions (2020 - 2030s) and the 2030s with the manned Mars missions.

I'm in favour of the work NASA does - although I think there's room for improvement, as SpaceX has shown.

K.

I don't know - the purpose of exploration is to find out.

While impressive, they have verified how harsh it is. What is impressive is they stated that one can dig the ice in the craters with shovels. I think this is to get below the surface and use the ice for water and making fuel.

It depends what you mean by 'complete'. Each probe can only do a limited amount, so not finding life doesn't necessarily mean it's not there.

I mean no low level life and no evidence of past life.

No life means no alien life in our solar system. That should be more than enough for Mr. Fermi.

I think you're using your faith the atheist religion with your last statement. See my main point.

Upvote 0