Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Atheism isn't a religion, it's a lack of religion, just like not being in prison isn't a kind of imprisonment, or not believing in conspiracy theories isn't being a conspiracy theorist.

It is a religion of no theism and no moralism. If there is no God, then there aren't any moral obligations or behavior due to said God/gods.

Is it any wonder that they aren't bothered with no evidence of what they believe such as aliens and abiogenesis? We can put their cosmology of the multiverses in that category. It's basically a pseudoscientific explanation of evolution that the religiously subscribe to.

You may have missed the part where I said, "I care about finding evidence of life elsewhere".

You're omitting a big part of it. I thought it was in reference to the continued search for aliens in our solar system by NASA and SETI.

OTOH, Christians have evidence for God and creation with the discovery of the Bible and Genesis. It explains how the big bang or beginning of the universe happened. We have Kalam's Cosmological Argument. We have a planet covered with 3/4 water due to the global flood. We have some of the greatest scientists in the history of the world which is backed up by the scientific method. We have an explanation for why different peoples speak different languages. We have an explanation for the energy that was created to power the entire universe. That's only part of it.

I don't 'have faith' in there being no god or gods; there may or may not be a god or gods - I simply don't have reason to believe in them - just as you presumably don't believe in any of the other gods people have believed through history.

If you we a true agnostic, then you would be bothered by no aliens and no abiogenesis. You would be bothered by Miller-Urey experiment not being real and conclusive. You would be bothered by no discovery of intelligent aliens like ourselves. You would be bothered by social Darwinism, eugenics, the rise of Nazism, Hitler, and the Holocaust soon after Darwin published his Origin of Species book. You would be bothered by how a big bang could from an ordered and intelligent universe when there was no spacetime and no beginning. You would be bothered by the conservation of energy where energy is not created in our universe, but only transferred. Any thinking person would be bothered by the lack of rational answers to questions such as how did the big bang start with no spacetime and energy?

It's sad that you have to distort your view of the world so much to fit what you think the bible says that you can no longer distinguish belief from non-belief.

Then you are distorting what Satan said to trick Adam and Eve into the first and gravest sin.

"Satan told Eve, “God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil” Genesis 3:5

Today, the atheists know that not believing in God is a sin. It's like they ate the forbidden fruit from the tree of knowlege of good and evil when they knew it was fine to eat from every other tree except for that one. Thus, they believe their eyes are opened using rational thinking, logic, and scientific atheism. This makes them like God in their eyes because they disregard God, his existence, and his objective morals.

Well if they do, no doubt there will be a few that will gloat, but you'll be glad to know that the vast majority won't give Bible literalists a thought - most that I know find it hard to believe bible literalists really exist - and, of course, a majority of Christians will be celebrating the discovery with the rest of us. Perhaps some will even feel sorry for bible literalists. I hope that puts your mind to rest.

Well, the Gallup poll from 2019 shows that about 40% believe in creationism while 33% think it's evolution with God's guidance. Only 22% thought it was without God. The majority believe in some form of evolution including God involved in origins and then guiding evolution. The 22% are the ones who don't care and don't have morals which follow their thinking. I think the majority want more evidence from evolution such as finding aliens and low level life elsewhere as evidence for abiogenesis. Otherwise, the difference between the moralists vs the non-moralists.

40% of Americans Believe in Creationism

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So much projection...
iu

I got your aliens and abiogenesis meter right here. It starts with Missing Facts, but regularly ends up in the red. Again, I don't wish to be macabre, but it's how I end up knowing the results of the atheists not knowing at the end.

BS-Meter.jpg

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,129.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
It is a religion of no theism and no moralism. If there is no God, then there aren't any moral obligations or behavior due to said God/gods.
Atheism doesn't imply morals... but neither does engineering, bird watching or eating breakfast.

All an atheist is, is someone who doesn't believe in any gods... they may have any kind of moral structure aside from that.

Is it any wonder that they aren't bothered with no evidence of what they believe such as aliens and abiogenesis? We can put their cosmology of the multiverses in that category. It's basically a pseudoscientific explanation of evolution that the religiously subscribe to.
There is limited evidence. In that it is inference from the existence and behavior of life on the Earth and the scale and make up of the universe.

Multiverses are an inference from philosophical and mathematical analysis and physics.

I don't think you actually understand what pseudoscience means aside from throwing it back after seeing it applied to your personal preferred beliefs.

You're omitting a big part of it. I thought it was in reference to the continued search for aliens in our solar system by NASA and SETI.

There's life all over the Earth, and there are conditions outside the Earth that are similar to the conditions that life has survived. That's just one reason that studying the universe is interesting.

OTOH, Christians have evidence for God and creation with the discovery of the Bible and Genesis. It explains how the big bang or beginning of the universe happened. We have Kalam's Cosmological Argument. We have a planet covered with 3/4 water due to the global flood. We have some of the greatest scientists in the history of the world which is backed up by the scientific method. We have an explanation for why different peoples speak different languages. We have an explanation for the energy that was created to power the entire universe. That's only part of it.

So you simultaneously accept the Big Bang, a decidedly different beginning to the universe to a literal genesis... while also proposing the Great Flood, an idea that is completely against all evidence and physical possibilities?

Personally I find Kalam very unconvincing as it seems to simply special plead a creator into existence and make statements about the universe that are not in evidence.

If you we a true agnostic, then you would be bothered by no aliens and no abiogenesis. You would be bothered by Miller-Urey experiment not being real and conclusive. You would be bothered by no discovery of intelligent aliens like ourselves. You would be bothered by social Darwinism, eugenics, the rise of Nazism, Hitler, and the Holocaust soon after Darwin published his Origin of Species book. You would be bothered by how a big bang could from an ordered and intelligent universe when there was no spacetime and no beginning. You would be bothered by the conservation of energy where energy is not created in our universe, but only transferred. Any thinking person would be bothered by the lack of rational answers to questions such as how did the big bang start with no spacetime and energy?

Evidence doesn't go away because you lie about it.

And assertions without evidence don't become reasonable because there isn't a explanation.

And linking Darwin to Hitler is ridiculous.

Personally I don't blame Christianity for Nazism, but some Nazi's do:
320px-WW_II_German_GOTT_MIT_UNS_Buckle_%28Wehrmacht%29.jpg

Then you are distorting what Satan said to trick Adam and Eve into the first and gravest sin.

"Satan told Eve, “God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil” Genesis 3:5

Today, the atheists know that not believing in God is a sin. It's like they ate the forbidden fruit from the tree of knowlege of good and evil when they knew it was fine to eat from every other tree except for that one. Thus, they believe their eyes are opened using rational thinking, logic, and scientific atheism. This makes them like God in their eyes because they disregard God, his existence, and his objective morals.
That doesn't make any sense.

People who don't believe in your God don't believe in sinning against him.

Any anyway, how do you even get objective morals? Every variety of Christian seems to take a subtly different lesson from the Bible.

Well, the Gallup poll from 2019 shows that about 40% believe in creationism while 33% think it's evolution with God's guidance. Only 22% thought it was without God. The majority believe in some form of evolution including God involved in origins and then guiding evolution. The 22% are the ones who don't care and don't have morals which follow their thinking. I think the majority want more evidence from evolution such as finding aliens and low level life elsewhere as evidence for abiogenesis. Otherwise, the difference between the moralists vs the non-moralists.

40% of Americans Believe in Creationism

Ah. America isn't the Earth.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
All an atheist is, is someone who doesn't believe in any gods... they may have any kind of moral structure aside from that.
I strongly suspect that James has been told this multiple times. I may have done so myself. What puzzles me is how someone may choose to deliberately ignore that information and yet still seek to claim the moral highground.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,129.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I strongly suspect that James has been told this multiple times. I may have done so myself. What puzzles me is how someone may choose to deliberately ignore that information and yet still seek to claim the moral highground.
A lot of moral codes explicitly look down on people who knowingly repeat false statements about others, their neighbours, if you will.

I guess Jack just doesn't believe in any of those.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Atheism isn't a religion, it's a lack of religion, just like not being in prison isn't a kind of imprisonment, or not believing in conspiracy theories isn't being a conspiracy theorist.

Actually, if one were to categorically reject any and all conspiracy theories regardless of, that could qualify as believing that there is a conspiracy to suggest that conspiracies exist. Because certainly there are such things as conspiracies, even though most of them are eventually exposed.

Anyway, I don't see how finding microbes on Mars would do anything to discredit Christianity. Just because something wasn't explicitly mentioned in the Bible doesn't mean it's not necessarily true. Same with the people who claim that the earth has to be flat for the Bible to be true.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thats how I've always looked at the Bible. But I was sternly lectured by an actual Christian about how wrong I was. I think you are right and he is wrong.

Proverbs 16:4 The LORD has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble.

Thats my understanding of the Christian position generally. Just "I wanted to" is not really what we mean by purpose. What is the purpose of creating an unfathomably vast range of other worlds? Are we sure that worlds of other God-intended beings are denied by the Bible?

Why do we light fireworks? Not everything has to have a practical purpose, some things are simply done because they bring joy. God didn't have to give us music and dancing but he did.
The reason God created the world was to raise up a people unto himself, those who would choose him for the New Heavens and New World to come. If he did the same on other worlds then he would have also had to die as Jesus there as well.
I believe this is the only world.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If he did the same on other worlds then he would have also had to die as Jesus there as well.

Only if you assume that life on those worlds has the same kind of intelligence, psychology, and nature as human beings. It could be completely different in a way we can't even conceive of.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The famous Bigfoot video was admitted to be a man in a suit.
Do you believe him?
The filmmakers were Roger Patterson (1933–1972) and Robert "'Bob" Gimlin (born 1931). Patterson died of cancer in 1972 and "maintained right to the end that the creature on the film was real". Patterson's friend, Gimlin, has always denied being involved in any part of a hoax with Patterson. Gimlin mostly avoided publicly discussing the subject from at least the early 1970s until about 2005 (except for three appearances), when he began giving interviews and appearing at Bigfoot conferences.

SOURCE

Reactions: jamesbond007
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Only if you assume that life on those worlds has the same kind of intelligence, psychology, and nature as human beings. It could be completely different in a way we can't even conceive of.

While anything is possible it doesn't make any sense to me that God would create all manner of life here than randomly go to some other planet and make some other life there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
While anything is possible it doesn't make any sense to me that God would create all manner of life here than randomly go to some other planet and make some other life there.

Well we don't really know for sure either way, do we?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,133.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Actually i think advanced societies are pretty common. Based on what we know so far about exo planets there are likely something like 100,000 earths in the milky way alone.

What do you think the chances of a society as advanced as we are existing? How many of those planets should we expect to find such societies on?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you think the chances of a society as advanced as we are existing?
Remember: We are only as advanced as we are because God hid resources in the earth, then enlightened scientists to find them when the time was right.

Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

Oil is an excellent example.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,576.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It has not though. All we have is a very old book written to thousand years ago. We can't interview the likes of Noah and say, did it really happen like that.
The evidence is as plain as the nose you see in the mirror. God used that analogy, when He promised to judge everyone. Our nose will testify against us if we deny the truth.
You obviously put your faith in fallen wicked men who call themselves scientists, but the evidence of Noah's flood is in our face. It's everywhere you look but the smarties deny it at their peril.

Upvote 0