Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Who are you replying to that mentioned virgins?

My understanding is that if the wife or husband was found to have committed fornication before marriage then divorce was permitted....in this day that would put an end to most marriages.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,108.44
Faith
Messianic
If a marriage is only valid if both are virgins then about 95% or greater of all marriages today are invalid.
Puts sin right there messing with the minds of sinners who are trying to live the redeemed life. Should we be placing guilt where God has already forgiven? Should our sins forever hold us down in punishment?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm still open on this so...

I see nothing in Yeshua's words that would even remotely suggest that marriage mistakes are the unpardonable sin.

What if I could show you scripture that says remarriage is adultery, and another that say adulterers will not see the kingdom of heaven? Would you then still settle with the unpardonable sin line of thinking? As I understand it, pardonable means if we repent, we are pardoned, but perpetual murder, liars, adulterers, and such as a lifestyle, are going down.

Why don't you try rightly dividing the Word before you start judging and condemning people? My mother had no choice but to divorce my father because he used to get drunk and beat her. So are saying my mother's marriage mistake is unforgivable?

Not at all, as long as she doesn't remarry. Why would we think that?

Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Puts sin right there messing with the minds of sinners who are trying to live the redeemed life. Should we be placing guilt where God has already forgiven? Should our sins forever hold us down in punishment?

What I'm saying is that if in fact we get one chance at marriage and blow it regardless of the reason or who's fault it is and can never have another chance apart from the death of the other person then yes we are punished for the remainder of our lives or until one of us dies,which is why I said and still say that if most people knew completely what they were getting themselves into in marriage they wouldn't do it.

Marriage under the right circumstances is great but in bad circumstances where people refuse to repent or change it is a nightmare,a living hell that has driven people to suicide and murder....some people just don't understand how miserable one person can make another

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,108.44
Faith
Messianic
I think one of the most important aspect in this discussion of marriage and divorce is the fact that Yeshua states "in the beginning it wasn't so, but because of the "hardness of the heart" it now happens".. Should we also show "hardness of heart" to those who are going through it, been through it and moved on,... As I see, it is a forgivable sin, and while the best of intentions were made by a believer, we should not crucify them, if for sin, it fails. All sin is forgiven, except the sin of blasphemy.

While the institute of marriage is the very backbone and fabric of a sustainable society, we must take into consideration, we are in the last days when there will be lovers of themselves, greedy, vile, cruel, and unnatural behavior in all forms that tear the society apart. Let us not be a party to not showing love and understanding to those who are going through the tough times, offering forgiveness rather than hitting them over the head with shame, condemnation, and sentencing them to a loveless life. I know many have tried to reconcile love and forgiveness with scripture on this subject. But I believe in this case, we are going to have to, while upholding the ideal, be compassionate with those whose path is not perfect a life without condemnation coming from our theology. As hard as that is, it must be understood there is more righteousness in grace and forgiveness than in the letter of the law.

• Winner
Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
and sentencing them to a loveless life

No one sentences anyone to a loveless life,if that is the case then God himself is doing it and his judgements are perfect and as a human I find it a hard and burdensome......male/female relationships are a constant source of misery and have been since the fall.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,108.44
Faith
Messianic
No one sentences anyone to a loveless life,if that is the case then God himself is doing it and his judgements are perfect and as a human I find it a hard and burdensome......male/female relationships are a constant source of misery and have been since the fall.
Not in all cases.. that is why there are those that last the lifetime of the mating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Interesting thread. So, if a husband went to buy a beverage and never came back(assuming that he's still alive), his wife must suffer for his actions?
I believe she is permitted to divorce based on 1 Corinthians 7:15;

But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.
We are not told how long the wife should wait for him to return before divorcing on grounds of abandonment, but if she knows he is alive, at least a year would seem reasonable to me. If she hasn't heard from him and it is possible he died, she would need to wait seven years.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,720.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I see nothing about divorce because of abuse,your mother should have certainly left this man but divorce for other than unfaithfulness and remarriage is to live in adultery....don't like it take it up with God.

Except that is NOT what he said. If you committing the act of adultery (a single occurrence) is different than what you propose.

Additionally, you seem to place the sin of a divorcee remarrying as some how greater than any other sin. Got news for ya, its not.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,720.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If a marriage is only valid if both are virgins then about 95% or greater of all marriages today are invalid.
I see so in your view fornication is okay but divorce and remarriage is a sin that damns the couple to be eternally separated from Adonai..... gotcha

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,108.44
Faith
Messianic
I think it is important that we remember Yeshua said "in the beginning it was not so, but for the hardness of heart" rules have changed. Here we are 2000 years later and things have not improved. So let's be more merciful in our sinful world to those who have fallen, forgiveness to start a new life without the sigma of the past. A person can not move forward unless they are forgiven to the point that it is as if they never had sinned in the first place. Let us not have a "hardness of heart" in this matter, while we may want and know the original plan God had for us in union, it is not something to be offered "giving in marriage" in heaven, because of sin. That is one privilege that is going to be taken away.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it is important that we remember Yeshua said "in the beginning it was not so, but for the hardness of heart" rules have changed. Here we are 2000 years later and things have not improved. So let's be more merciful in our sinful world to those who have fallen, forgiveness to start a new life without the sigma of the past
I agree.

Upvote 0