Divorce and remarriage

davidbenephraim

Jul 25, 2012
✟10,334.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Marriage mistakes are the only mistakes you will never be forgiven for in this life,they will plague you till the day you die

"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaks against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come" Matthew 12:31

I see nothing in Yeshua's words that would even remotely suggest that marriage mistakes are the unpardonable sin. Why don't you try rightly dividing the Word before you start judging and condemning people? My mother had no choice but to divorce my father because he used to get drunk and beat her. So are saying my mother's marriage mistake is unforgivable? Because she married a man who developed a drinking problem after serving in Vietnam and came home with PTSD and used alcohol to self medicate?

David

• Agree
Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see nothing in Yeshua's words that would even remotely suggest that marriage mistakes are the unpardonable sin.

I see nothing about divorce because of abuse,your mother should have certainly left this man but divorce for other than unfaithfulness and remarriage is to live in adultery....don't like it take it up with God.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I have often wondered why there is no "whoever married him that is divorced commits adultery"
Because Judaism allowed for polygamy. Even to this day. A man can have more than one wife and it is not adultery. It seems so strange to us doesn't it?

Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If people understood marriage completely they would never do it,sex is the only reason most people get married and many times its the reason they divorce,it is said that its not good for man,and I assume woman to be alone yet I would much rather be alone for 100 lifetimes than to endure a miserable marriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YESLORDIWILL

Have you not read? 1Sa 20-22, Ps 52
Oct 12, 2012
✟11,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept. But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. (Mar 10:5-Mar 10:9)

Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery. (Mar 10:12, Mar 10:13)

Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery. (Luk 16:18)

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery. (Mat 19:9)

But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery. (Mat 5:32)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess any lack of ability to accept abuse is hardness of heart I wonder why the bible speaks against being mastered by anything like alcohol,drugs etc but seems to approve or allow the abuse of people,offering almost no alternatives or escape

• Agree
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

davidbenephraim

Jul 25, 2012
✟10,334.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I see nothing about divorce because of abuse,your mother should have certainly left this man but divorce for other than unfaithfulness and remarriage is to live in adultery....don't like it take it up with God.

I agree with you to point, but I won't take the position that marriage mistakes are unforgivable sins. Even if divorce and remarriage are a sins (which I don't believe are sins), Yeshua still said that "all manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven" except blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Marriage mistakes do not rise to the level of blasphemy. Sometimes people make a mistake by marrying for superficial reasons, and then they will divorce for superficial reasons. To say that Yah won't forgive their mistake is the cruelest form of legalism that even the Pharisees would not even engaged.

Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with you to point, but I won't take the position that marriage mistakes are unforgivable sins. Even if divorce and remarriage are a sins (which I don't believe are sins), Yeshua still said that "all manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven" except blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Marriage mistakes do not rise to the level of blasphemy. Sometimes people make a mistake by marrying for superficial reasons, and then they will divorce for superficial reasons. To say that Yah won't forgive their mistake is the cruelest form of legalism that even the Pharisees would not even engaged.

So one can live in a constant state of unrepentant adultery and go to heaven.....I did not know that.

Upvote 0

davidbenephraim

Jul 25, 2012
✟10,334.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
So one can live in a constant state of unrepentant adultery and go to heaven.....I did not know that.

No, no one can live in a constant state of adultery and go to heaven. But a divorced person who remarries is not living in adultery. The doctrine that you are holding to is based on a text taken out of context and is nothing more than a pretext. I will post a separate thread in which I will delve deeper into this subject. Right now, I am using a computer at my local public library and my allotted time for using this computer has run out. I have no choice to go for now.

Shalom,

David

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matt 5:32 is plain....hey I'm not saying that I'm thrilled about it either,but it says what it says and unfaithfulness is the only exception and possibly physical abandonment,now if you realy want to get steamed go talk to the folks who say that even unfaithfulness is not an exception,these people say that under no circumstances is it permissible for a marriage to be dissolved....they're a fun bunch,you'll enjoy them,and I still say that if marriage were approached with something other than hormones most would not do it after careful thought.

Upvote 0

Elihoenai

Who has ceased to eat Manna?
Apr 9, 2015
London, England
✟49,200.00
Faith
The Man has Authority over the Woman and it behoves the Woman to shut up in the Churches/Assemblies.

Matthew 5:27-28 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

27 `Ye heard that it was said to the ancients: Thou shalt not commit adultery;

28 but I -- I say to you, that every one who is looking on a woman to desire her, did already commit adultery with her in his heart.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,108.44
Faith
Messianic
Matthew 19:9
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

By HIS choice of the word fornication, HE is saying the ONLY option for divorce is during the Deut 24 betrothal period, if HE meant after a marriage, HE would have said "adultery"

• Informative
Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
If people understood marriage completely they would never do it,sex is the only reason most people get married and many times its the reason they divorce,it is said that its not good for man,and I assume woman to be alone yet I would much rather be alone for 100 lifetimes than to endure a miserable marriage.
You are right that it's better to be alone than in a bad, miserable marriage. As you can see from my stats, I'm celibate.

I think you are too pessimistic. People also marry for companionship and to have a family.

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0