danny ski

Jan 13, 2013
✟34,912.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 19:9
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

By HIS choice of the word fornication, HE is saying the ONLY option for divorce is during the Deut 24 betrothal period, if HE meant after a marriage, HE would have said "adultery"
So, how does that work? What if your wife decides that she no longer desires sexual activities, like it happens in some marriages? Or, he's no longer in love with her, for whatever reason? Should they stay miserable, together? Or maybe she does not want to have children and he does? People change, all the time; it takes two to tango. What if there's chronic substance abuse by one of the parties? There are plenty of reasons, even religious ones. What if a Catholic wife in a nice Catholic family decides to become a Baptist or a Jehova's Witness? How can they stay married? Where is the justice in that?

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Matthew 19:9
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

By HIS choice of the word fornication, HE is saying the ONLY option for divorce is during the Deut 24 betrothal period, if HE meant after a marriage, HE would have said "adultery"
The Greek word inappropriate contentea was used because it encompasses all sexual immorality whether it be during the betrothal period or during the marriage.

Upvote 0

danny ski

Jan 13, 2013
✟34,912.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
If you can find scripture that gives divorce as an option in those situations then ok,marriage especially in these times is a woeful proposition with more risk than benefits
My Scriptures are perfectly fine with divorce. I don't understand the Christian obsession with staying married, even in the face of realistic reasons for dissolution.

• Informative
Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My Scriptures are perfectly fine with divorce. I don't understand the Christian obsession with staying married, even in the face of realistic reasons for dissolution.

LOL,of course your scriptures justify what you want to do......welcome to modern DIY Christianity......ain't it grand.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, how does that work? What if your wife decides that she no longer desires sexual activities, like it happens in some marriages? Or, he's no longer in love with her, for whatever reason? Should they stay miserable, together? Or maybe she does not want to have children and he does? People change, all the time; it takes two to tango. What if there's chronic substance abuse by one of the parties? There are plenty of reasons, even religious ones. What if a Catholic wife in a nice Catholic family decides to become a Baptist or a Jehova's Witness? How can they stay married? Where is the justice in that?
As I understand it, they can either reconcile, separate or possibly even divorce, but they cannot remarry unless one spouse was guilty of sexual immorality and given a bill of divorcement. If either spouse remarries without a lawful divorce, he/she will commit adultery. A possible exception to getting divorced when sexual immorality is not involved is if an unbelieving spouse departs from the believing spouse (one who believes in Messiah Yeshua). In that case, it appears to me that the believer can remarry.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The only grounds mentioned in Torah for giving a bill of divorcement is if nudity/nakedness is involved (matters of sexual immorality):

Deuteronomy 24:1 When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness (nudity/nakedness) in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.
It seems to me that Yeshua was agreeing with this verse when he said, "And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication (inappropriate contentea - sexual immorality), and shall marry another, commits adultery: and whoso marries her which is put away commits adultery." (Matthew 19:9).

• Informative
Reactions: YESLORDIWILL
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YESLORDIWILL

Have you not read? 1Sa 20-22, Ps 52
Oct 12, 2012
✟11,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A possible exception to getting divorced when sexual immorality is not involved is if an unbelieving spouse departs from the believing spouse (one who believes in Messiah Yeshua). In that case, it appears to me that the believer can remarry.

1Co 7:12-15 But to the rest speak I (my opinion), not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him...But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

somewhat ambiguous about remarriage...also seems to be an opinion.

Upvote 0

danny ski

Jan 13, 2013
✟34,912.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
The only grounds mentioned in Torah for giving a bill of divorcement is if nudity/nakedness is involved (matters of sexual immorality):

Deuteronomy 24:1 When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness (nudity/nakedness) in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.
It seems to me that Yeshua was agreeing with this verse when he said, "And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication (inappropriate contentea - sexual immorality), and shall marry another, commits adultery: and whoso marries her which is put away commits adultery." (Matthew 19:9).

No. "ervat davar" translates into "some fault OR indecency". Hence, it was open to a constructionist or broad interpretations.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1Co 7:12-15 But to the rest speak I (my opinion), not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him...But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

somewhat ambiguous about remarriage...also seems to be an opinion.
By "bondage", I believe Paul meant "no longer bound by the marriage covenant". Yes, it is his opinion, but I value the Apostles opinion.

Upvote 0

YESLORDIWILL

Have you not read? 1Sa 20-22, Ps 52
Oct 12, 2012
✟11,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If a man divorces his wife, did she deserve the title "divorced" and all that goes with it? Through no fault of her own she can get this title, so should the "no remarriage" rule still remain.?.
If she got divorced "through no fault of her own", then she is still married and the divorce is invalid, in which case she cannot remarry without committing adultery.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
If a man divorces his wife, did she deserve the title "divorced" and all that goes with it? Through no fault of her own she can get this title, so should the "no remarriage" rule still remain.?.
According to Yeshua, yes. But Yeshua makes an exception for inappropriate contenteia, an illicit marriage (where the marriage contract was non-existent because the consummating intercourse was illicit).

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,108.44
Faith
Messianic
If she got divorced "through no fault of her own", then she is still married and the divorce is invalid, in which case she cannot remarry without committing adultery.
?? do what....... her x 'hubby" has gone on with his life without the "adultery" tag, and remarried. He believes the divorce is valid... but some how "she' is left holding the guilt bag and its penalty?? really??

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
?? do what....... her x 'hubby" has gone on with his life without the "adultery" tag, and remarried. He believes the divorce is valid... but some how "she' is left holding the guilt bag and its penalty?? really??
It is irrelevant what her x thinks. He is guilty in the eyes of YHWH because he divorced his wife without a just cause. If she remarries, he will have caused her to commit adultery. It is an evil put upon her that she must endure, even though she is innocent, so as not to sin against YHWH. However, there is a possible remedy. My wife was about to divorce me without a just cause as well, but in order to avoid both of us committing adultery by remarrying after an unlawful divorce in YHWH's eyes, I gave her a bill of divorcement since I had just cause (adultery on her part). That freed us both to remarry (although I choose to remain single so I can devote myself fully to Yeshua). I don't see why she cannot give him a bill of divorcement since she has just cause (his adultery). She would then be free to remarry.

Upvote 0