Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, maybe they're just trying to counter the effect that FOX news has on American thinking.
maybe American thinking should include having respect for the office of the presidency, regardless of whether one agrees with the president or not. Lord knows I had many an opportunity to crack humiliating jokes about Clinton, but refrained out of respect of the office that he held. I'm teaching my kids to do the same thing. I think everyone should.

Reactions: stivvy
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Right-on MsShelby. There hasn't been a presidential frontrunner I've liked since Bob Dole, and probably not a President I really liked in my lifetime - but the President does deserve our respect. Crass jokes and a lack of respect for an elected President isn't cool, weather you like the man (or woman) or not.

Satire is fine, Chevy Chase as Gerald Ford for instance, but the kids in the monkey suits is just plain disrespectful.

Upvote 0

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
maybe American thinking should include having respect for the office of the presidency, regardless of whether one agrees with the president or not. Lord knows I had many an opportunity to crack humiliating jokes about Clinton, but refrained out of respect of the office that he held. I'm teaching my kids to do the same thing. I think everyone should.

You can only respect the office of the President when a democrat is in the White House. Didn't you know that?

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You can only respect the office of the President when a democrat is in the White House. Didn't you know that?

Oh you poor poor persecuted conservative, you must have missed the thread where Stivy posted a cigar-related comment in response to a picture of Sheryl Crow and Bill Clinton being posted. Neither the right nor the left holds the patent on class. Hyper-partisans of either stripe are too often uncouth.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I have a tremendous amount of respect for the office of the presidency.

Its the head of the executive branch of the US goverment.

But the person holding that office ?

He's deserving only of the respect that he earns. At the moment, that ain't much.

So, please, your Clinton jokes are now in order.

Upvote 0

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I guess I'll jump in here. I want to first point out that I that overall I do not condone torture, or any violation of rules of engagement. Having said that, each case needs to handled independently. It also very easy (maybe too easy) for someone back home, especially with no military experience, to criticize what a soldier does in Iraq. My last tour was at an internment facility in Iraq and it was not easy. As apalled as I was what happened at Abu Ghraib, I at least understand now how someone can convince themselves it is okay do commit these acts. It is alot easier than you think. Being face to face with "alleged" terrorists day after day after day wears on you. It's hard for me to call an 18-22 year-old kid "evil" when they are improperly trained, overworked, inexperienced and poorly supported.

It is also very easy (maybe too easy) for someone who has never been in a crisis pregnancy situation to criticize what a woman does when she is pregnant and alone. I can understand how someone can convince themselves its just a clump of cells and not a baby. It's a lot easier than you think. Being face to face with bills to pay, no one to support you, etc wears on you. Its hard for me to call it evil when a woman who is young and alone and scared has an abortion.

Would you buy that as an argument for abortion not being categorically evil? No? Then you shouldn't buy it with repsect to torture.

Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have a tremendous amount of respect for the office of the presidency.

Its the head of the executive branch of the US goverment.

But the person holding that office ?

He's deserving only of the respect that he earns. At the moment, that ain't much.

So, please, your Clinton jokes are now in order.
You miss the point. Children are being taught and it's now common place that disagreement means that one can ridicule whomever they want, no matter who it is. Based on disagreement. This may come as a surprise to you, but just because one person feels they are right about something doesn't mean they are. So not only is this kind of thing disrespectful, it's tantamount to gossip. Which you accused someone of doing the other day, because he posted a news article.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You miss the point. Children are being taught and it's now common place that disagreement means that one can ridicule whomever they want, no matter who it is. Based on disagreement. This may come as a surprise to you, but just because one person feels they are right about something doesn't mean they are. So not only is this kind of thing disrespectful, it's tantamount to gossip. Which you accused someone of doing the other day, because he posted a news article.

First of all, I accused njy of gossip becaue he was making up facts about a situation that were not reported in the news article.

That's just wrong.

I disagree with the President on almost everything he stand for (and agianst) and I will contune to speak against him, his policies and his actions until and unless he straighten up and flys right.

That's my right as an American (at least until he gets the Supeme Court to overturn the first Amendment)

Its you right too.

I strongly urge you to avail yourself of it.

He's the president he isn't Christ. (Even though he thinks he is)

Upvote 0

LightHearted

No Storm Can Shake My Inmost Calm
Dec 8, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟25,272.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is no one concerned that they're covering politics on Nickelodian, period?

It's disturbing to me that they have children boycotting anything (aside from maybe crappy school lunches). I do not believe that a kid's channel is appropriate for pushing any kind of political agenda onto children. They should be taught about this by their parents and/or school.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is no one concerned that they're covering politics on Nickelodian, period?

It's disturbing to me that they have children boycotting anything (aside from maybe crappy school lunches). I do not believe that a kid's channel is appropriate for pushing any kind of political agenda onto children. They should be taught about this by their parents and/or school.

This is what shocked me. I didn't think I had to worry about what my daughter watches on Nickelodeon.

This is from the anti-bush site that was on the kids signs. They had a clip on youtube but it was removed, here is a picture of the page:

641agsk.png

Upvote 0

fairydust80

May 25, 2007
✟15,201.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Miss Shelby. Disagreeing with the president is one thing, tasteless and classless jokes and comments are another. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with the actions of the president/prime minister and we are lucky to live in free democracies which mean we can say that and not be exiled or imprisoned or killed. My children will always be taught it is OK to respectfully disagree with politicans, and indeed, anyone, but a personal attack is never OK. If troops are comitting actions such as rape or firing on unarmed civilians, than yes, they are evil. However, this would be the vast minority of troops and regardless of my thoughts on the war, I hope they all return home safe and well and I support them. Do I support the Iraq War? No. But I still support the troops and pray daily for their safe return.

Upvote 0

fairydust80

May 25, 2007
✟15,201.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is what shocked me. I didn't think I had to worry about what my daughter watches on Nickelodeon.

This is from the anti-bush site that was on the kids signs. They had a clip on youtube but it was removed, here is a picture of the page:

< border="0" alt="" />

Fourteen is a bit different than eight. In some countries, fourteen year olds are in 10th/11th grades, well old enough to form opinions on politics.

Upvote 0

LightHearted

No Storm Can Shake My Inmost Calm
Dec 8, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟25,272.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I'm just curious... what time of day was this on? I would hope that they would only show G-rated stuff from at least 5am-5pm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Fourteen is a bit different than eight. In some countries, fourteen year olds are in 10th/11th grades, well old enough to form opinions on politics.

Very true. Freshman year of high school, just after turning 14, I was writing editorials about political issues such as tax cuts and social security and debating with the other guy in my classes who followed politics. At the time, I was a Bush guy and he was a Gore guy.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So evil is evil unless its inconvinent for it to be, then it not evil anymore its just me not being in the situation and not understanding their problems.

....And I get accused of moral relativism ?

Don't get me wrong I understand one of the evils of war is that it makes good men do evil things, this is one the things that makes war it something that should be avoided.

Not charged into willy-nilly by leaders who are insecure about their courage because they never served in combat, never put their life on the line for their country.

(Didn't see that coming did you BA ? )

Seen what coming ? This is another post where I literally could not understand a thing you wrote. You must be speaking over my head. :confused:

You want to talk about moral relativism ? Start with all those lazy folks sitting in front of TV and their computers judging MEN who were placed in combat by our own votes and citizen action. I don't care what your opinion is or who you voted for, you put them there. I am just surprised I have not seen the term "BABYKILLER" in a post on this thread yet. If you served with someone for a couple years and that person becomes your best friend and you see that person get his legs blown off what are you going to do Charlie ? Sit around whining about moral relativism ?

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
BAFRIEND... no one is judging "the troops" as a whole. As a whole, I highly, highly respect military men and women. The ones I know are wonderful people who are doing a great service to our country. But being in the military should not exempt you from criticism. Soldiers are not gods.

Upvote 0

in2Nas

...using the brain God gave me.
Jul 7, 2005
New Mexico
✟16,039.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is also very easy (maybe too easy) for someone who has never been in a crisis pregnancy situation to criticize what a woman does when she is pregnant and alone. I can understand how someone can convince themselves its just a clump of cells and not a baby. It's a lot easier than you think. Being face to face with bills to pay, no one to support you, etc wears on you. Its hard for me to call it evil when a woman who is young and alone and scared has an abortion.

Would you buy that as an argument for abortion not being categorically evil? No? Then you shouldn't buy it with repsect to torture.

You make a valid point here and I hear what you're saying. But, my point originally was that is hard for me to call the soldiers themselves evil. Regardless, I got you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.