Hubbard, Ohio
✟21,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
If my memory serves, (which I am not saying that it does) but I thought it was BAfriend who posted that.
Yeah, common guys and gals, can't we keep a couple consevatives who are soooo different in order.

But, man, I wish I did come up wiht that one! :p :sorry:

Upvote 0

fairydust80

May 25, 2007
✟7,701.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think what FM is saying is that she can see how a woman in a crisis pregnancy situation could be convinced an abortion is for the best / her only option. I am a mother myself and I know how hard pregnancy is (yes it is great to bring a baby into the world, but it is hard too!) and I had the support of my husband and family and we had finished college so we had a relativly stable financial situation and we were excited to be having our girls. Abortion may not be right, but I can see how a girl who is young, alone and broke could easily be talked into have an abortion and convinced that it is the best solution. You are already emotional when pregnant (I was!) and I imagine it would be tripled if you were scared. I am not saying abortion is right, I am saying, and I believe FM is saying too, that I can understand how these girls can be convinced to have an abortion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟121,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Based on OP only--- Oh what parents will teach their children and of course children want to make sure they get the approval of what's in and what's cool to believe.

The soldiers who tortured people, I hope they do repent. It's not right and the only time I could possibly see it being understandable (not acceptable though) is if someone has information that could save alot of lives. And partial birth abortion is disgusting. I bet if you had each of those kids sit in front of a young girl who is having it done and see what happens to that precious angel of a child, they would quickly change their thoughts.

Disgusting and to think I grew up watching that channel :(

Upvote 0
R

Renton405

"That's what I tell the people who parade their kids around with pictures of dead fetusses, they just don't get it. Protesters almost always provoke a negative reaction from me, especially those that make an argument (or poster) meant to apeal to th emotions."
agree on that, we can show the evils of abortions without the gore

Yea, but people are so jaded today that they need a wake up call..and a sign that just says pro-life usually dosen't effect a person the way seeing a dead child does..

Im sure if people got to see hell for a day there would be alot more people not taking everything for granted in life..

I remember I saw one picture of abortion that hit me really hard, it was a dead baby that had his brains sucked out.. and I was only until then that I really saw the evils of it..

A woman who does this, no matter how hard they are, will always bother her for the rest of her life.. It will burn at her conscious forever..

Reactions: Woodsy
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yea, but people are so jaded today that they need a wake up call..and a sign that just says pro-life usually dosen't effect a person the way seeing a dead child does..

If we are a society that cannot be trusted to think things through rationally, then let's apeal to the emotions in all debates. I fully expect all Iraq war protesters to carry placcards with severely burned, maimed or dead Iraqi children on them. Similarily, pro war folks should carry signs showing the remains of the 9/11 victims or our soldiers after an IED blast. If you're of the opinion that homosexuality is wrong and gross, what would drive that point home better than graphic immiges of a bear and his leather slave doing what they do best? I think pictures of genital herpes would look nice on billboards, a great reminder to all of us not to mess arround, you know?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Woodsy

Returned From Afar.
Supporter
Jun 24, 2003
Pacific NW
✟35,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If we are a society that cannot be trusted to think things through rationally, then let's apeal to the emotions in all debates. I fully expect all Iraq war protesters to carry placcards with severely burned, maimed or dead Iraqi children on them.

Have you ever seen anti-war protests? They do carry such placards.
In fact, I was affected very deeply by photos of injured and dead Lebanese children during last year's conflict with Israel. So I guess I can't be trusted to think rationally. You can see this in my blog here at CF in the entries I wrote during that conflict.

Similarily, pro war folks should carry signs showing the remains of the 9/11 victims or our soldiers after an IED blast.

We all had burned into our minds images of dead Americans, live people jumping to their deaths from the WTC, charred corpses in the wreckage of the Pentagon, etc. And let's not forget CNN showing footage of American troops being shot by snipers.

If you're of the opinion that homosexuality is wrong and gross, what would drive that point home better than graphic immiges of a bear and his leather slave doing what they do best?

Well, here you're just being silly.

I think pictures of genital herpes would look nice on billboards, a great reminder to all of us not to mess arround, you know?

I was shown such images while in High School and while in the Army. The images affected what I did and with whom. I guess it's unpopular to show such images today, and contemporary sex ed is leaving our kids thinking that oral sex "isn't sex."

Within the last couple of years, there was a billboard in Seattle (and likely in other major metropolitan areas) showing the diseased lungs of a smoker.

We keep kids out of jail with "scared straight" programs which show them the reality of life in prison.

We see roadside shrines to those killed by drunk drivers.

We see images of starving kids in Africa.

Images tend to make things more real for us. It is sometimes argued that Americans are oblivious to the rest of the world, or that some world issues are at best abstractions to Americans. Seeing the suffering of kids in Africa, in Palestinian camps, in Israeli hospitals, makes things real for us in a way that words often cannot, no matter how intellectually sound or how well-reasoned any argument is. And I'm sure that you are aware of this already.

When you are far away from those you love, you exchange photos with them. You don't do this because your family is too stupid or irrational to understand that you miss them. You do it because of the power of the image to convey what words often cannot.

Liberals were very angry - outraged - when the Bush Administration tried to limit the distribution of images of coffins of US servicemen returning from Iraq. So, the argument doesn't really seem to be about whether the use of images stifles our use of reason.

Upvote 0

PoliticalGuru

Dec 10, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
✟8,345.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I grew up watching nickolodeon because they had quality, funny, kid and family centered cartoons. The only thing I remember them doing that could have seemed any bit political growing up was when they had this special on columbine. And what was it? A FORUM, they had a bunch of kids and a lot of differen issues and opinions were discussed. That was it, why they're showing a documentary of student activism is a little sketchy. Don't get me wrong, I'm am really into Politics, but why not focus on undevisive issues? I remember they always did this campaign on encouraging people to recycle. Anyway, I think it's a bad marketing move on their part.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
If we are a society that cannot be trusted to think things through rationally, then let's apeal to the emotions in all debates. I fully expect all Iraq war protesters to carry placcards with severely burned, maimed or dead Iraqi children on them. Similarily, pro war folks should carry signs showing the remains of the 9/11 victims or our soldiers after an IED blast. If you're of the opinion that homosexuality is wrong and gross, what would drive that point home better than graphic immiges of a bear and his leather slave doing what they do best? I think pictures of genital herpes would look nice on billboards, a great reminder to all of us not to mess arround, you know?

There is a difference in that no one is arguing that the soldiers dying from IED's, civilian war casualties, homosexuals, etc. are no more than blobs of cells. Kinda hard to argue it's just a thing when you see it's human.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
There is a difference in that no one is arguing that the soldiers dying from IED's, civilian war casualties, homosexuals, etc. are no more than blobs of cells. Kinda hard to argue it's just a thing when you see it's human.
Speaking of road-side bombs, a Marine in our RCIA class this year was riding in a humvee with his group, when one of those insidious devices blew them all from the vehicle. It was a double-pack, i.e., two bombs strapped together. None of them was seriously wounded.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.